2006-07 Canadian WJC Team

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
Cody Franson will be there. Marc Staal will probably stick with the Rangers, I don't think Bourdon will with Vancouver.

Bourdon was the last cut at camp last year so I'd say his chances are pretty good to make the team and if he doesn't I don't think he's going back to Jr. I think another year might hurt his development. He's definitly ready for at least the AHL.

I forgot about Irving. He's definitly a goalie who slips under the radar.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Adam91 said:
Bourdon was the last cut at camp last year so I'd say his chances are pretty good to make the team and if he doesn't I don't think he's going back to Jr. I think another year might hurt his development. He's definitly ready for at least the AHL.

Wow, so much wrong with this post.

Firstly, he wasn't the last cut at camp, Sven Butenschon was. And that was competition over the #6 spot - Dave Nonis has stated that unless he plays a top-4 role, he's going back to juniors.

Secondly, he's coming off an injury-riddled year where he wasn't dominant for extended stretches, and coming into camp with a lot more pressure I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him struggle, as opposed to his impressive performance last season.

Honest to God, you'd think Dion Phaneuf would dispell all these notions of an extra year in juniors hurting prospects.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
Wow, so much wrong with this post.

Firstly, he wasn't the last cut at camp, Sven Butenschon was. And that was competition over the #6 spot - Dave Nonis has stated that unless he plays a top-4 role, he's going back to juniors.

Secondly, he's coming off an injury-riddled year where he wasn't dominant for extended stretches, and coming into camp with a lot more pressure I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him struggle, as opposed to his impressive performance last season.

Honest to God, you'd think Dion Phaneuf would dispell all these notions of an extra year in juniors hurting prospects.

You can bet your *** that Phaneuf would have made the team if there wasn't a lockout though.

Edit: I can't believe that *** is considered inappropriate.

espo*

therealdeal said:
This team better win gold, anything less is a massive failure.

Have to agree.This should be a pretty damn good team and anything other then gold would be considered underachieving by the fans in the great white north.They should get challenged by the States mainly but overall should be able to take them out if the coaching and goaltending is competent.

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
Adam91 said:

I forgot about Irving. He's definitly a goalie who slips under the radar.

He's not eligible to play in the AHL. You have to be at least 20 when the season starts, and he's a 2007 birthdate. Two exceptions: if you've played four full seasons in junior (last exemption was Spezza), or if you were drafted from a European team.

19 year old defensemen often struggle in the NHL, so I'm guessing he'll stick with Moncton for most of the year.

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
clay said:
Setoguchi-Colgilano-Bourret
Toews-Staal-Downie
Little-Brassard-O'Marra
Sheppard-Staal-McCardle
Latendresse, Pyatt

Bourdon-Letang
Staal-Parent
Russel-Franson
Mikkelson, Ryan

Price
Bernier
Irving

Not to quibble, but you have Jordan Staal on here twice. Can we imagine that Gilbert Brule is here instead?

Otherwise, this is great. Let's all have a crack at a depth chart!

stockwizard*

Quite Fankly, I believe Cody Fransen will not only be cut from our World Junior Team, but I would be surpised if he ever sticks in the NHL.

He lacks aggressiveness, grit, and refuses to stick up for his teamates. He generally plays quite soft.
Basically, he is missing the "killer instinct" which is required to compete at the highest level.

Default101

expect to see Mark Katic and John Tavares getting long looks at camp, both were the 2 best canadian rookies in the OHL this year.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
clay said:
You can bet your *** that Phaneuf would have made the team if there wasn't a lockout though.

Edit: I can't believe that *** is considered inappropriate.

I doubt it; IIRC, Darryl Sutter had come out and said he wouldn't play with the team.

Default101

How many can they invite to camp?
this is my personal invite camp depth chart...

FORWARDS (30)
Gilbert Brule (CMB?)
Jonathan Toews
Andrew Cogliano
Devin Setoguchi
John Tavares
Jordan Staal
Derek Brassard
Angelo Esposito
Brian Little
Chris Stewart
Steve Downie
James Sheppard
Tom Pyatt
Cody Bass
Cal Clutterbuck
Ryan O'Marra
Guillaume Latendresse
Kenndal McArdle
Richard Clune
Daniel Ryder
Cal O'Reilly
Wacey Rabbit
Cory Emmerton
Shea Guthrie
Bobby Hughes
Brett Sutter
James Neal
Brodie Dupont
Chris Lawrence
Logan Couture

DEFENCE (15)
Luc Bourdon (VAN?)
Marc Staal (NYR?)
Ryan Parent (NYR?)
Sasha Pokulok (WSH?)
Mark Katic
Kristopher Letang
Brendan Mikkelson
Kris Russell
Drew Doughty
Derek Joslin
Ben Shurton
Chad Denny
Dustin Kohn
Marc-Andre Gragnani
Cody Franson

GOALIES (5)
Carey Price
Jonathan Bernier
Pierre-Olivier Pelletier
Kristofer Westblom
Kevin Lalande

Last edited by a moderator:

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
Ry-Dogg said:
How many can they invite to camp?
this is my personal invite camp depth chart...

FORWARDS (30)
Gilbert Brule (CMB?)
Andrew Cogliano
Devin Setoguchi
John Tavares
Jordan Staal
Derek Brassard
Angelo Esposito
Brian Little
Chris Stewart
Steve Downie
James Sheppard
Tom Pyatt
Cody Bass
Cal Clutterbuck
Ryan O'Marra
Guillaume Latendresse
Kenndal McArdle
Richard Clune
Daniel Ryder
Cal O'Reilly
Wacey Rabbit
Cory Emmerton
Shea Guthrie
Bobby Hughes
Brett Sutter
James Neal
Brodie Dupont
Chris Lawrence
Logan Couture
Jamie McGinn

DEFENCE (15)
Luc Bourdon (VAN?)
Marc Staal (NYR?)
Ryan Parent (NYR?)
Sasha Pokulok (WSH?)
Mark Katic
Kristopher Letang
Brendan Mikkelson
Kris Russell
Drew Doughty
Derek Joslin
Ben Shurton
Chad Denny
Dustin Kohn
Marc-Andre Gragnani
Cody Franson

GOALIES (5)
Carey Price
Jonathan Bernier
Pierre-Olivier Pelletier
Kristofer Westblom
Kevin Lalande
Not planning on inviting Toews?

Default101

crosby_87 said:
Not planning on inviting Toews?
thats what i get for making the list at 2:30am.. i knew i was gonna forget someone :) Toews added

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Brule and Setoguchi were born on January 1, 1987, and are eligible to play by one day. I don't think Brule will be on this coming year's team, but if he is, he'll be the best player in the tournament by a very wide margin.

If Brule isn't there, then you'll see a team very similar to last year's team. There won't be any stars, at least not up front, but there will be 13 forwards who will accept any role given to them. Guys like Setoguchi (if he's not in SJ), J. Staal and Little will be expected to be offensive players on this team. I'd really like to see what Kendall McArdle could do, he could be better than Blake Comeau, who was a very dependable player.

Crosby and Brule are two potential franchise players to come out of the 2005 draft, but beyond those two, there aren't many guys who strike me as game-breaker offensive players. Canada doesn't have a Crosby or a Brule in this year's draft, but there are a few players who have strong offensive upsides. I think a guy like Little could rip this tournament apart if given the chance. (He is a late 1987 birthday, so this is his last chance.

If the eligible defencemen return, especially Bourdon, Parent and Staal, Canada will be incredibly difficult to score on. They were three of the top five or six defencemen at last year's tournament, and they'll probably maintain that status. It would not surprise me to see Staal and Bourdon in the show next year, even though I don't think Bourdon is ready. Marc Staal, like his older brother Eric, is extremely mature physically and mentally.

Craig Hartsburg is a great choice for coach. He's had tremendous international success for Canada as a player and a coach. He boasts a tremendous junior track record. He knows a lot of these guys and what to expect. He's not as good as Sutter (who is) but I'm not worried about him as coach.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
cyclops said:
Have to agree.This should be a pretty damn good team and anything other then gold would be considered underachieving by the fans in the great white north.They should get challenged by the States mainly but overall should be able to take them out if the coaching and goaltending is competent.
Americans will have a very talented team, likely even more skilled than what we saw last year. Of course, the problem with the Americans is that you don't know about the chemistry. If they can play together as a cohesive unit, they'll be extremely tough. If they don't, it'll be another train wreck like the Vancouver WJCs.

Finland will be a very tough team, again. Russia always has a highly-skilled but volataile team. Maybe they'll have something better than a junior back-up calibre goaltender. The Czechs have some talented players in this year's draft, and the Swedes seem to be getting their developmental program back on track. Backstrom's another late 1987 birthday, and he will likely be one of the top two or three players in the tournament.

Default101

out of this list that i made there's 50 players, and i think they could take out of it any 50 players to make team canada a very competitive team, all depends on if Hartsburg can put together the right pieces.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Nobody has mentioned Tyler Plante as a potential Canadian goalie, he might "do a Pogge" this year.

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
Ry-Dogg said:
out of this list that i made there's 50 players, and i think they could take out of it any 50 players to make team canada a very competitive team, all depends on if Hartsburg can put together the right pieces.

You'll have to omit Sasha Pokulok from further consideration, as he recently turned 20 and is ineligible.

espo*

God Bless Canada said:
Americans will have a very talented team, likely even more skilled than what we saw last year. Of course, the problem with the Americans is that you don't know about the chemistry. If they can play together as a cohesive unit, they'll be extremely tough. If they don't, it'll be another train wreck like the Vancouver WJCs.

Finland will be a very tough team, again. Russia always has a highly-skilled but volataile team. Maybe they'll have something better than a junior back-up calibre goaltender. The Czechs have some talented players in this year's draft, and the Swedes seem to be getting their developmental program back on track. Backstrom's another late 1987 birthday, and he will likely be one of the top two or three players in the tournament.
oh yeah,they'll be good no doubt.When you factor in the added maturity of the guys coming back and just how much better they'll be with another year under their belt one would have to think they very well could be more skilled then last year.I'm not sure who is too old from that team and what type players will be added as their replacements,do you have any idea? Either way,they'll be good.

The thing is,i also think Canada will be more skilled then last year too,what goes for the states would seem to be even moreso for us this year.Damn young team last year and still won gold.If they keep the same style of game plan and find someone to be Pogge's heir apparent then i'm confident we have the most talented team there and have the best chance to win.

I do expect a jump from Sweden this year,Finland is usually solid as are the czechs and the Russians as you said are normally always talented.And yeah,they could use a goalie this year eh?

I still see it as it being an ultimate showdown with the U.S....................a showdown we should be quite capable of putting away though.

espo*

sbtatter said:
Nobody has mentioned Tyler Plante as a potential Canadian goalie, he might "do a Pogge" this year.
I hope so,that is certainly what we need.

personnally,i've been a bit dissapointed in Canada's goalie development of late(never thought i'd say that) HockeyCanada needs to concentrate on it a lot more starting right now IMO.The lions share(no pun intended) of the best young goalies seem to be Finnish IMO.I'm not saying we are'nt producing a good crop,just not great and that concerns me.It's a team bread and butter,ya gotta have them be the best.

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Price will be the starting goalie :)

Toews-Coliagno-Setoguchi
Downie-Brassard-Latendresse
Little-Staal-Esposito
Sheppard-O'Marra-Pyatt

Bourdon -Letang
Parent-Mikkelson
Pokulok -Russell

Carey Price
Jonathan Bernier

Last edited:

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Here is my team as of today... alot of things change obviously....

1st Line:
Toews--Downie--Cogliano
2nd Line
Latendresse--Brassard--Little
Checking/Shutdown Line
Bertram-- O'Marra -- Pyatt
4th Line
Kendal McArdle -- Jordan Staal-- Brandon Sutter (surprise pick but I have a hunch, this kid is good)
EX - John Tavares

Last Cuts - Devin Setogucchi (weird feeling about him.. should be there but I think something will go wrong) Ryan White, Dan Ryder, Angelo Esposito
NHL* - Sidney Crosby, Gilbert Brule

D Pairings
Kris Letang -- Luc Bourdon
Ryan Parent - Kris Russell
Patrick McNeil -- Cody Franson
7th D Marc-Edouard Vlasic

Last Cuts - Ty Wishart, Brendan Mikkelson, Ben Shutron

NHL* - Marc Staal

Goalies:
Carey Price
Jonathon Bernier

last cut - J.P Levasseur

Captain - Ryan O'Marra
Alternates - Bourdon, Parent, Downie (hockey canada loves him)

This team looks like it could easily bring a 3 PEAT home for Canada... Awesome depth on forward... any line can score even the shut down line that we like to have each year. Some tough cut especially on forward. Tavares can step in on any line if someone is hurt or playing badly... the kid will score too... Should be an interesting next 7 months... I really like this team though...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad