2005: Your Personal favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

Just curious to know..... Every year everybody is split on people...I'm probally higher on Thelen,Karsums, and even before the draft :) Kaspar then most... As well in 2003 I was a big fan of Michalek, Stewart, and Seabrooke..in 2002 I really liked Koreis and Upshall, 2001 it was all Woywitka for me.....anywho you can't help but have some favs...

SO who are some of your current favorites in the upcoming 2005 draft class? here are a few of mine.

Forward Ryan O'Marra .....I really really like Ryan and think he could challenge for a top 15/top 10!! spot in the draft. He's big and tough with great range. What impresses me most about him is alot of his skills well translate very well to the NHL....Big big guy, very very tough, great in the trafic areas, throws big hits on the forecheck, very noticable, even though he didn't score.... One of my top top favorites of this class.... Such a good skater for his size and I love his physical play...his skill level also appears to be very high.

Defenseman Matt Lashoff..... I went out of my way to Valabik but it was Lashoff who really left the impression on me. He's got very good size and really comes packed with some very good offensive upside.... Very good skater, I really like him.
I saw him go against the likes of Corey Perry and Robbie Schremp and held up very well.

Forward Marek Zagrapan: I saw him twice when he played for the Slovakian U-17 team a few years back.... He left an impression on me and I Can't waite to see him soon. He really made my jaws drop with his moves and passing ability, and his shot appears to be very accurate....could perform all of his moves at top speed. One of the most "slippery" players i've seen in awhile.

Goaltender Ryan Mior....... I love this goalie...I never seen Carey Price play or Levasseur play, but Mior really is a good one that should get some people talking shortly. He really is a feisty bull in the net and really entertained me with his agressive play. Amazingly quick kick saves...awesome down low.. He wasn't tested much any time I saw him but made two amazing saves that left an impression on me, very poised and confident it appears....Looks like he could steal games at the next level. I like him alot...

Goaltender Alexander Vincent: He's HUGEE!!! mabey just as big as Dubnyk!! I think he is 6-5 . Not sure.... his listings vary. So so calm...very impressive.... I saw him in a shut out outing and he was just dominating...really took control of the game. Very Impressive movement for such a big goalie!! really like him....his stock could soar.

Dark Horse Sleeper:::: Forward Jack Skille.... I don't know where he is going to play this year, but I know he well attend Wisconsin soon :) He's awesome.. I played with him/vs him since I was a kid and I know what he has..... He's got elite wheels and one of the fastest players in the draft....amazing acceleration.....He's a pure goal scorer, can be said as a "puck hog" but his shot is very accurate and quick....very deceptive. Might not have a huge year if in the USNTDP but when it's all said and done should make one GM very very happy.

I also like Latendresse a lot! and Cogliano but thats a given :)

Last edited:

Vic Rattlehead*

Latendresse, plain and simple. I would love for the Bruins to get this guy.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Consider it a sleeper if you must, but I'm a big fan of Dustin Kohn. For a guy who was never selected in the Bantam Draft, he's got a nice set of hands and can skate as well. I'd really like to see him give it an honest go as a forward for about twenty games before he settles in as a defenseman, his natural position.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Of course my favorite player for the entire draft is Sidney Crosby, I have been hyping him since he was in Midget AAA on these boards but besides him here are my others also I am leaving out Brule as well as Kindl for this:

Forward: Devin Setoguchi, Daniel Bertram, Gennadi Churilov, Denis Istomin, Christoph Gawlik, Guillaume Latendresse, Mikko Lehtonen, Nathan Gerbe and Riley Merkley

Fav of all is: Bertram

Defense: Vitaly Anikeenko, Jack Johnson, Patrick McNeill, Jean-Philippe Paquet, Vyacheslav Buravchikov, and Kyle Lamb

fav of all is Anikeenko

Goalies: I like all the goalies in Mior, Rask, Vincent and Levasseur, I am not a big fan of Price but a guy I htink will do well in the draft is Finish born goalie Jani Nieminen

Fav of all is Levasseur

X-SHARKIE

moosefan said:
Of course my favorite player for the entire draft is Sidney Crosby, I have been hyping him since he was in Midget AAA on these boards but besides him here are my others also I am leaving out Brule as well as Kindl for this:

Forward: Devin Setoguchi, Daniel Bertram, Gennadi Churilov, Denis Istomin, Christoph Gawlik, Guillaume Latendresse, Mikko Lehtonen, Nathan Gerbe and Riley Merkley

Fav of all is: Bertram

Defense: Vitaly Anikeenko, Jack Johnson, Patrick McNeill, Jean-Philippe Paquet, Vyacheslav Buravchikov, and Kyle Lamb

fav of all is Anikeenko

Goalies: I like all the goalies in Mior, Rask, Vincent and Levasseur, I am not a big fan of Price but a guy I htink will do well in the draft is Finish born goalie Jani Nieminen

Fav of all is Levasseur

Moose I'm completely sold on Crosby and I think Kindl has all the tools to go #2 this year and is also one of my favs...I really respect your opinion and if you would..give me some of your more...under the radar kind of players....thanks :)

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
X-SHARKIE said:
Moose I'm completely sold on Crosby and I think Kindl has all the tools to go #2 this year and is also one of my favs...I really respect your opinion and if you would..give me some of your more...under the radar kind of players....thanks :)

guys I think that are under the radar are IMO:

Dustin Kohn
Justin Saulnier
Tom Mannino
Slava Truhno
Francois Charland
Mathieu Roy
Tyler Hawes
Mark Mitera
Steven Downie
Wacey Rabbit (has the ability to turn his game around)
Tony Rizzi (looking for him to have a decent season this year)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
For this draft I want to see the Habs take a look at. I'm not saying they will have a shot at them but some random players I've seen or read about.

Lantendresse is the kind of guy the Habs sorely need.

Jack Johnson is also sorely needed since Hainsey is a mystery

Devin Setoguchi- havent' seen but sounds like a player the Habs need

Mikko Lethonen- sounds very interesting.

Ryan O'Marra- another bid strong kid

Anze Kopitar- never saw but sounds very interesting.

J-P Paquet- good skating stride, good size.

Luc Bourdon- looked solid all round

Marc Gragnani- skinny but should see a ton of ice time

Tyler Hawes- Big but not very physical, not much ice time last year but should be an impact player this year

Slava Truhno- I haven't seen yet, but I've heard good things about him from different places.

Steve Birnstill- Was very good on a average team, hopefully opting out of the last draft will drop him down a little.

Paul Stantsy- Only saw him once in the USHL, but liked what I saw, although he'll need to get stronger from the looks of it. I think he'll have a big year at DU.

Sergei Shirokov- not vey big but might be a good late round pick.

Anton Belov- was one of the only players that stuck out at the remax games for Russia. Good size and is up with CSKA this year.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Mike Gauthier - 6'4'' defenceman for Prince Albert that was once pegged a guaranteed first rounder on these boards but has slipped off the radar a bit. Should log top 4 minutes this season as a 17 year old.

Of course, the players in this draft that really impress me (Crosby, Brule, Anikeenko, Bertram, Latendresse etc.) everyone knows about, so here are a few other sleepers:

Tim Kraus - Formed some chemistry with Brule, and showed flashes of a scoring touch. Nice size at 6'1'' as well.

Adam Hobson - Impressed everyone at U18's, great scoring touch. Local kid to boot!

Last edited:

BigAl

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
Bobby Ryan!!! I think he will shoot up the most of the 2005 draft.....i'm thinking he ends up top 6 overall.

Mooseheads@HF

Jan 17, 2003
East Coast
montreal said:
Tyler Hawes- Big but not very physical, not much ice time last year but should be an impact player this year

He has improved is physical game he's been playing much more physical this season then last and has not shy to throw around his big frame. Will become a beter player over the season, as his ice time has increased from last season.

Marc-Andre Gragnani has basiclly became the #1 dman in PEI, as no one returned from lastseason. His play will diffently improve he's gotten better since last year and has great potential and i see him maybe sneaking into the late 2nd round early 3rd round of the draft.

My Unknown favorite is defenceman Oskars Bartulis in Moncton, with Francois Caron leaving Moncton Bartulis will see much more time on the blueline.

Last edited:

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Gilbert Brule is my favorite, he´ll be a great player. He the best junior player i´ve seen in 10 years (i have not seen Crosby yet though)

Raisy

Oct 27, 2003
moosefan said:
guys I think that are under the radar are IMO:

Dustin Kohn
Justin Saulnier
Tom Mannino
Slava Truhno
Francois Charland
Mathieu Roy
Tyler Hawes
Mark Mitera
Steven Downie
Wacey Rabbit (has the ability to turn his game around)
Tony Rizzi (looking for him to have a decent season this year)

I hope your right about Mannino and Downie, otherwise it is going to be along year in Windsor. You can see that both of these players have a lot of talent it is just a matter of putting it all together. Mannino has great hands, stickhandling, and is good one on one, but he doesn't go into the corners at all and I don't think he knows how to pass the puck. Downie probably doesn't have the offensive upside that Mannino has, but has a lot more grit, more of a two-way/pest type player. His biggest problem is discipline, he takes way too many unnecessary and selfish penalties.

MHJS

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
I've been a big Crosby fan for awhile, but besides him, I'd go with Bobby Ryan. He can definately shoot up the rankings this year.

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
X-SHARKIE said:

Just curious about Jakob Kindl, if I got the name right. I respect both Moosefan's and X-Sharkie's opinions, so I'm wondering why you guys are so high on this guy (potential #2 overall). I honestly haven't heard much about him and don't even know what position he plays or where he plays. Some info would be much appreciated. :)

X-SHARKIE

Chuckalinsky said:
Just curious about Jakob Kindl, if I got the name right. I respect both Moosefan's and X-Sharkie's opinions, so I'm wondering why you guys are so high on this guy (potential #2 overall). I honestly haven't heard much about him and don't even know what position he plays or where he plays. Some info would be much appreciated. :)

Jakub Kindl is an elite talent IMO. He's 6-3 190, so once he bulks up he'll have great size. I saw him dominate at the U-18's last year, he really left me in awe. He doesn't just rely on his size and that's not his game. Defensively he is very smart, very poised always seems to make the right reads and is good at checking, not punishing though. Mean streak is all he is missing but it's nothing to be concerned about. His skating for his size is excelent, great agility, great balance, his skating is very good. His shot is also very good, and really packs some power. I also loved this one play he made, were he faked the shot, slid around a defender and then made a beuty pass that should've sprung a goal. Really shows his poise and confidence....Basically take the tools of Ladislav Smid (already that good this young) , improve his defense, and you got him. I really like Kindl.

EDIT: I just want to make it clear that I think he'll be much better than Smid (who is no slouch himself)

Last edited:

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
X-SHARKIE said:
Dark Horse Sleeper:::: Forward Jack Skille.... I don't know where he is going to play this year, but I know he well attend Wisconsin soon :) He's awesome.. I played with him/vs him since I was a kid and I know what he has..... He's got elite wheels and one of the fastest players in the draft....amazing acceleration.....He's a pure goal scorer, can be said as a "puck hog" but his shot is very accurate and quick....very deceptive. Might not have a huge year if in the USNTDP but when it's all said and done should make one GM very very happy

Sharkie, werent you the guy stating last year Skille had something wrong with his head? and he is currently playing NTDP.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Just curious to know..... Every year everybody is split on people...I'm probally higher on Thelen,Karsums, and even before the draft :) Kaspar then most... As well in 2003 I was a big fan of Michalek, Stewart, and Seabrooke..in 2002 I really liked Koreis and Upshall, 2001 it was all Woywitka for me.....anywho you can't help but have some favs...

SO who are some of your current favorites in the upcoming 2005 draft class? here are a few of mine.

Forward Ryan O'Marra .....I really really like Ryan and think he could challenge for a top 15/top 10!! spot in the draft. He's big and tough with great range. What impresses me most about him is alot of his skills well translate very well to the NHL....Big big guy, very very tough, great in the trafic areas, throws big hits on the forecheck, very noticable, even though he didn't score.... One of my top top favorites of this class.... Such a good skater for his size and I love his physical play...his skill level also appears to be very high.

Defenseman Matt Lashoff..... I went out of my way to Valabik but it was Lashoff who really left the impression on me. He's got very good size and really comes packed with some very good offensive upside.... Very good skater, I really like him.
I saw him go against the likes of Corey Perry and Robbie Schremp and held up very well.

Forward Marek Zagrapan: I saw him twice when he played for the Slovakian U-17 team a few years back.... He left an impression on me and I Can't waite to see him soon. He really made my jaws drop with his moves and passing ability, and his shot appears to be very accurate....could perform all of his moves at top speed. One of the most "slippery" players i've seen in awhile.

Goaltender Ryan Mior....... I love this goalie...I never seen Carey Price play or Levasseur play, but Mior really is a good one that should get some people talking shortly. He really is a feisty bull in the net and really entertained me with his agressive play. Amazingly quick kick saves...awesome down low.. He wasn't tested much any time I saw him but made two amazing saves that left an impression on me, very poised and confident it appears....Looks like he could steal games at the next level. I like him alot...

Goaltender Alexander Vincent: He's HUGEE!!! mabey just as big as Dubnyk!! I think he is 6-5 . Not sure.... his listings vary. So so calm...very impressive.... I saw him in a shut out outing and he was just dominating...really took control of the game. Very Impressive movement for such a big goalie!! really like him....his stock could soar.

Dark Horse Sleeper:::: Forward Jack Skille.... I don't know where he is going to play this year, but I know he well attend Wisconsin soon :) He's awesome.. I played with him/vs him since I was a kid and I know what he has..... He's got elite wheels and one of the fastest players in the draft....amazing acceleration.....He's a pure goal scorer, can be said as a "puck hog" but his shot is very accurate and quick....very deceptive. Might not have a huge year if in the USNTDP but when it's all said and done should make one GM very very happy.

I also like Latendresse a lot! and Cogliano but thats a given :)

I'll see Zagrapan and Vincent about 15 times this year with the Chicoutimi Sagueneens. I'll tell you back about these kids. One thing I can say, the Sags are going to be a real force in the QMJHL with Zagrapan, Desharnais, Boisclair, Lascek... what an offense! :bow:

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Mooseheads@HF said:
He has improved is physical game e's been playing much more physical this season then last and has not shy to throw around his big frame. Will become a beter player over the season, as his ice time has increased from last season.

Marc-Andre Gragnani has basiclly became the #1 dman in PEI, as no one returned from lastseason. His play will diffently improve he's gotten better since last year and has great potential and i see him maybe sneaking into the late 2nd round early 3rd round of the draft.

My Unknown favorite is defenceman Oskars Bartulis in Moncton, with Francois Caron leaving Moncton Bartulis will see much more time on the blueline.

Bartulis has definitely gotten a good amount of minutes so far (I think he's second behind only Nate Saunders who seemingly never leaves the ice), but he still has some issues with consistency while handing the puck. He's solid though...I hope he gets better as the year goes. He is going to need to step it up if the Cats are going to be able to beat out the Mooseheads for the division, and go far in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad