19. Italy (+1)
20. Japan (-4)
21. Poland (-2)
22. Hungary (-)
23. Netherlands (-)
24. Estonia (-)
25. Great Britain (-)

Notable moves outside of the Top 25:
Croatia, up two places to 30th (Ahead of S. Korea and Belgium)
Israel, up two places to 35th
Spain, down three spots to 37th

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Ukraine is pretty high. I did not think they were that good but after their games in the WHC I realised that they were really getting better.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Kind of funny to see the Czech Republic still behind Sweden considering they are obviously better. Too bad the World Cup doesn't count in the standing.

Jamina

Dec 17, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
HF_Rangers said:
RANK. Team (+/- from 2004 Ranking)

2. Sweden (-)
3. Czech Republic (+1)
4. Slovakia (-1)
5. Russia (+2)
7. Finland (-2) Champion 2005: Kärpät, Oulu
8. Switzerland (+2)

Can somebody tell me these countries' champions? They will play in Euroepean Champions Cup (Super Six) January 2006.

Zorin

Sep 2, 2002
Germany
www.krefeld-penguins.de
2. Sweden (-) Frölunda Göteborg
3. Czech Republic (+1) HC Moeller Parubice
4. Slovakia (-1) Slovan Bratislava
5. Russia (+2) Dynamo Moscow
7. Finland (-2) Kärpät, Oulu
8. Switzerland (+2) HC Davos

Unfortunately the german Champion Eisbären Berlin fell out of the Cup due to the poor showing at the World Cup and the following downgrade of germany...

SChan*

Rob said:
Kind of funny to see the Czech Republic still behind Sweden considering they are obviously better. Too bad the World Cup doesn't count in the standing.

kind of funny to see the Czech Republic still behind Canada considering they are obviously better.

Atleast Sweden lost in Sudden Death against the Czechs while Canada got blowned out.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
SectionX said:
kind of funny to see the Czech Republic still behind Canada considering they are obviously better.

Atleast Sweden lost in Sudden Death against the Czechs while Canada got blowned out.

In the World Championship, the Czechs were the better team, no doubt. However, one tournament may not make enough of a difference to bring a team from 4th to 1st. Canada was the most dominating team over the past months, and losing in the final game of a tournament won't put them into 2nd. BTW, losing by 3 goals isn't a blow out, even if one goal was a empty netter. Then again, I'm sure the your probably use to the wide open, high flying, offensive games played in the SEL.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
2. Sweden (-) Champion 2005: Västra Frölunda Indians
3. Czech Republic (+1)
4. Slovakia (-1)
5. Russia (+2)
7. Finland (-2) Champion 2005: Kärpät, Oulu
8. Switzerland (+2) Champion 2005: HC Davos

Belgian Fan

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Badger Bob said:
Once a country's world rankings drop below the 15-20 range, its team ceases to be "notable."

:madfire:

Everyone here in Belgium is completely shocked and the Papers had extra editions to complain about the fact that Croatia went up the rankings at our expense!

OK, not really...

:)

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany
kjri said:
They should calculate World Cup results also, then this would be more credible. Czech, USA and Finland would then have higher ratings.

Do you mean the World Cup of Hockey? If so, they shouldn't.
a) it's a NHL, not an IHHF competition.
b) there were only 8 Nations in this tourney. It wouldn't be fair for the other Nations...

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I fully understand that it is an NHL tournament and that it does not count towards the rankings. Its just unfortunately thats all.

Speaking of blowouts, the Czechs beating the Swedes in the World Cup was a blowout!

Fortunately we have the Olympics coming up next year. Just hope the NHL allows its players to participate.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Gurj said:
It's a calculation that is uses a weighted 4-year system (with the most recent results having the bigger weight) that takes into account a team's final placing in the past 4 World Championships and the most recent Olympics.

If NHL players are allowed to play in the Olympics I hope the IIHF puts more emphasis on the results of the Olympics than they do on the World Championships. It would only be fair.

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Rob said:
If NHL players are allowed to play in the Olympics I hope the IIHF puts more emphasis on the results of the Olympics than they do on the World Championships. It would only be fair.
Why is that? NHLers played at the world championship too, so what's the difference? :shakehead

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Berkut said:
Why is that? NHLers played at the world championship too, so what's the difference? :shakehead
I think it's absolutely obvious to 90% of the people on here that the Olympics is a best on best tourney while the WC is a "bring some of your best available guys that aren't still playing with their regular teams" kind of thing.

As much as the Euros hate it the WC still means very little in NA and if it means little in NA then thats how it is with the IIHF.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
ryz said:
I think it's absolutely obvious to 90% of the people on here that the Olympics is a best on best tourney while the WC is a "bring some of your best available guys that aren't still playing with their regular teams" kind of thing.

As much as the Euros hate it the WC still means very little in NA and if it means little in NA then thats how it is with the IIHF.

North AMerica does not control the IIHF.... wait.. yes they do.... caoughnashhooksrefcough

;)

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
ts said:
Do you mean the World Cup of Hockey? If so, they shouldn't.
a) it's a NHL, not an IHHF competition.
b) there were only 8 Nations in this tourney. It wouldn't be fair for the other Nations...

Because the other nations are weaklings. No need for them. In fact, I think they should limit the countries at the World championships. There are too many bush league teams there.

Get the best 8 and go ahead. Who needs to see the freaking Iceland Comets play at the tourney? Playing the trap ad nauseam doesn't make you a powerhouse. It's makes you a boring team to watch. Just like 2/3 of the teams I saw this year.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
If NHL players do not participate in the next Olympics it will be really tragic for international hockey fans. Everyone wants to see thse "best on best" tournaments. If the Olympic hockey goes back to being an amateur tournament again it will become totally meaningless. The World Championships will then become a more important tournament.

Last edited:

Jazz

deandebean said:
Because the other nations are weaklings. No need for them. In fact, I think they should limit the countries at the World championships. There are too many bush league teams there.

Get the best 8 and go ahead. Who needs to see the freaking Iceland Comets play at the tourney? Playing the trap ad nauseam doesn't make you a powerhouse. It's makes you a boring team to watch. Just like 2/3 of the teams I saw this year.

That's a very insular attitude towards World Hockey. I'm glad you are not in charge. The point is to grow the game, and for the most part, participition for the 2nd tier of countries in the World Championships increases the exposure for the sport in that country, and add more potential for that country in the future.

Yes, 16 is a good number for the IHWC. If you look at the format, you will see that Super-7 teams like Canada only have to play ONE game against what you call a weakling (in this year's case, Slovenia). I'm sure you can handle 1 such game for the good of the sport.

Additionally, 8 is rediculously too low a number. You will have to choose 1 out of Switzerland, Latvia, Germany, and Belarus - EACH of which has had victories vs the Super-7 in the past 5 years.

Or wait, were you talking about Div II (the C-pool) where Iceland was playing? :sarcasm:

Get your head out of the sand.... :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->