2005 WJC Div I Group A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Six teams in Sheffield, GBR. From my limited knowledge Kazakhstan are the favorites. France and Norway are probably competing for second. Britain may do well with home advantage. Italy and Austria are unknowns to me but I think they have been making quite a bit of progress lately. Doesnt seem anywhere near as strong as Group B (which has DEN, LVA and UKR who would probably all win this group).

Personally I'll be hoping the British team shows some progress and hope for the future. I've heard Tom Carlon is one to watch but its probably expecting way too much of an 1987 guy to make an impact especially since he plays on a team at a lower level than most of his teammates.

EDIT - link from mole: Group A

Last edited:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Stevex said:
Six teams in Sheffield, GBR. From my limited knowledge Kazakhstan are the favorites. France and Norway are probably competing for second. Britain may do well with home advantage. Italy and Austria are unknowns to me but I think they have been making quite a bit of progress lately. Doesnt seem anywhere near as strong as Group B (which has DEN, LVA and UKR who would probably all win this group).

Personally I'll be hoping the British team shows some progress and hope for the future. I've heard Tom Carlon is one to watch but its probably expecting way too much of an 1987 guy to make an impact especially since he plays on a team at a lower level than most of his teammates.

What kind of shape are we in. Were have never been known for hockey. Could this start to change. Do GB have a realistic chance of doing anything. I have limited knowledge of GB hockey as it is a low standard. How did we fare last year?

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
There is potential. Especially if you realise maybe 6 or 7 years ago Britain and Germany were considered to be on a par (afaik). Germany has progressed in leaps and bounds while British hockey seems to be moribund. Especially doing things like pulling out of the Olympic qualification stage wont help our development :(

As for never been known - Britain did win Olympic gold back in the 1930s :) admittedly mostly with imported Canadians but still..

Last year I think we ended up middle of the pack. IIRC started out with great hope and ended up needing to win to avoid relegation. That might be the mens.. really cant remember.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Stevex said:
There is potential. Especially if you realise maybe 6 or 7 years ago Britain and Germany were considered to be on a par (afaik). Germany has progressed in leaps and bounds while British hockey seems to be moribund. Especially doing things like pulling out of the Olympic qualification stage wont help our development :(

As for never been known - Britain did win Olympic gold back in the 1930s :) admittedly mostly with imported Canadians but still..

Last year I think we ended up middle of the pack. IIRC started out with great hope and ended up needing to win to avoid relegation. That might be the mens.. really cant remember.

Do we have any future NHLers.

Jazz

J17ster said:
What kind of shape are we in. Were have never been known for hockey. Could this start to change. Do GB have a realistic chance of doing anything. I have limited knowledge of GB hockey as it is a low standard. How did we fare last year?
Here is some information that might be helpful for you guys.

As the host, Great Britain will have a mild advantage, but unfortunately, the Brits have drawn a tough pool to make any headway, especially since they're the new team to Division I.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
J17ster said:
Do we have any future NHLers.

Short answer is no. (as far as I know).

Most of our best talents are goalies (Lyle, Watkins etc) and there's way too much competition to get there. I guess there's Colin Shields who is in the ECHL.

I'm hoping Tom Carlon is good enough but he's very young.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
There's a very young ('90 birthdate) British player at Shattuck-St. Mary's who is supposed to be quite good. He plays on the bantam team which is loaded with quality players. His name is Tom Duggan. Here's a link to the team page... Link

I suppose he could end up on the British junior rosters in a year or two considering their lack of depth.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
------TEAM FRANCE ROSTER

Goalies: Andy Foliot (Saint-Pierre), Julien Leclerc* (Chamonix).

Defensemen: Jérémy Buigues (Viry-Châtillon), Benjamin Dieude-Fauvel* (Amiens), Yvan Kerneis* (Viry-Châtillon), Johann Morant* (Ajoie, SUI), Benoît Quessandier (Rouen), Thomas Roussel (Amiens), Pierre-Antoine Simonneau* (Angers, ex-Nantes), Fabien Veydarier (Chamonix).

Forwards : Pierre-Édouard Bellemare (Rouen), Teddy Da Costa* (Gap), Yvan Fontana* (Rouen), Cyril Gavalda (Clermont-Ferrand), Alexandre Lefebvre (Rouen), Tristan Lemoine (Rouen), Clément Masson* (Viry-Châtillon), Geoffrey Paillet* (Amiens), Erwan Pain* (Chamonix), Jean-Édouard Petigny* (Amiens), Mathieu Séguy* (Chamonix), Lionel Wiotte (Amiens).

* born 1986
Players to watch : Quessandier, Bellemare are also playing for France senior team. Bellemare scored 1 goal, 1 assist last season as a 17 years old during an Euro Tour Challenge tournament with France.
Da Costa scored a hat trick a few weeks ago, Bellemare had 2 last season.
Majority of players are in French elite, except players from Viry-Chatillon and Chamonix, and players Paillet, Petigny, Simonneau and Fontana. I think Saint-Pierre for the goalie means Saint-Pierre and Miquelon, a small island near Quebec.

ratsgirl

Jul 25, 2003
in the minors
Team Norway:
http://www.hockey.no/t2.aspx?p=4768&x=1&a=117183

Goalies: Anders Ganer (Manglerud Star), Mathias Gundersen (Lillehammer)

Defense: Håvard Mathisen Bøe (Trondheim), Jonas Holøs (Sparta Sarpsborg), Patrick Kolsrud (Vålerenga), Dennis Sveum (Lillehammer), Marius Ulseth (Lillehammer), Pål Velo (Frisk Asker), Lars Løkken Østli (Storhamar)

Forwards: Kristian Forsberg (Furuset), Martin Scott Hagen (Vålerenga), Lars Erik Hesbråten (Kongsvinger), Henrik Klouman (Lillehammer), Petter Kristiansen (Frisk Asker), Mathis Olimb (Sarnia Sting (CAN)), Martin Røymark (Manglerud Star), Lars Erik Spets (Trondheim), Hans Gardli Stubrud (Storhamar), Christian Sørensen (Vålerenga), Steffen Thoresen (Storhamar), Mathias Trygg (Skåre (SWE)), Dag Morten Wehn (Lillehammer)

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Olimb, Spets and Trygg.. wish Britain had those guys..

cagney - Thanks for that info.. will certainly watch him. I am surprised at the diversity of players on that team. Players from California, Dallas, Alaska. Hopefully Duggan feels more British than Canadian and the program doesnt discriminate against him for being abroad.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Stevex said:
cagney - Thanks for that info.. will certainly watch him. I am surprised at the diversity of players on that team. Players from California, Dallas, Alaska. Hopefully Duggan feels more British than Canadian and the program doesnt discriminate against him for being abroad.

From what I've heard Duggan spent his whole life in Britain and only moved over to prep school this year so I doubt you have to worry about any other nation claiming him. S-SM's has a very good hockey program so I think he's in good hands. I mostly follow the prep team as they are old enough to be talked about as NHL prospects but the bantam team is supposed to be very talented. A number of the players (Toews, Tessier, Kostolansky etc.) are among the most talented kids in their age bracket in North America. I like to see a kid from a non-traditional hockey area excel in that kind of environment.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
That's good news then :) Not sure if you misunderstood me - I meant I hoped the British management didnt leave him off the international teams because he was abroad (not that SSM might discriminate against him for being from abroad). I have heard about the SSM program and am very impressed he's got in.

Burger

Jun 28, 2004
Trondheim
I think Spets will have a good tournament. He's currently third in the Norwegian league with 38 points (18 goals & 20 assists) from 24 games and is a +25. The rumour is that he will be playing in Sweden next year. He would most likely have been playing with the big boys, if they hadn’t regarded the U20 tournament to be more important than the trainingtournament Euro Ice Hockey Challenge in Poland.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I believe GB came up from division 11 lasy year. There was one kid, Ben Wallace who tore it up. He plays for the Newcastle Vipers. What is he like in terms of potential.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
ratsgirl said:
Team Norway:
http://www.hockey.no/t2.aspx?p=4768&x=1&a=117183

Goalies: Anders Ganer (Manglerud Star), Mathias Gundersen (Lillehammer)

Defense: Håvard Mathisen Bøe (Trondheim), Jonas Holøs (Sparta Sarpsborg), Patrick Kolsrud (Vålerenga), Dennis Sveum (Lillehammer), Marius Ulseth (Lillehammer), Pål Velo (Frisk Asker), Lars Løkken Østli (Storhamar)

Forwards: Kristian Forsberg (Furuset), Martin Scott Hagen (Vålerenga), Lars Erik Hesbråten (Kongsvinger), Henrik Klouman (Lillehammer), Petter Kristiansen (Frisk Asker), Mathis Olimb (Sarnia Sting (CAN)), Martin Røymark (Manglerud Star), Lars Erik Spets (Trondheim), Hans Gardli Stubrud (Storhamar), Christian Sørensen (Vålerenga), Steffen Thoresen (Storhamar), Mathias Trygg (Skåre (SWE)), Dag Morten Wehn (Lillehammer)

Pretty surprising that so few norwegian youngsters try their luck in Sweden. The Danes do it with pretty good success.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
J17ster said:
I believe GB came up from division 11 lasy year. There was one kid, Ben Wallace who tore it up. He plays for the Newcastle Vipers. What is he like in terms of potential.

I have not heard of Ben Wallace.. he's not on the roster. There is a Stephen Wallace on the Vipers who is one of the better players for the GB men's team. He's 22 now or so though so I dont know how much better he can get.

Looking at the squad there are two guys who are in Canadian hockey academies. Lewis Day who is at Okanagan (pretty good program I think) and Ben O'Connor who has pulled out of the tourney. There is a defenseman Kurt Reynolds at a Tennesseen school.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
BTW - Konstatin Puskaryev will be playing for Kazakhstan. He should be the star of the group.

gopher

Dec 5, 2002
Europe
www.legioxv.org
AUSTRIAN ROSTER:

Goal:
Horneber Stefan (TSV Erding (GER))
Innerwinkler Thomas (SaiPa Lapeenranta (FIN))

Defense:
Altmann Mario (EV Vienna Capitals)
Quantschnig Christoph (EC KAC)
Riener Joussef (EC The Red Bulls Salzburg)
Lindgren Victor (EC The Red Bulls Salzburg)
Brunnegger Mark (EC Graz 99ers)
Holst Michael (Banff Hockey Academy (CAN))
Ullrich Paul (EC VSV)
Lainer Jakob (EK Zell/See)
Kink Philipp (Wiener Eislöwen-Verein)

Offense:
Pinter Philipp (Valley Junior Warriors (EJHL/USA))
Nödl Andreas (Sioux Falls Stampede (USHL/USA))
Grabner Michael (Spokane Chiefs (CHL/USA))
Rotter Rafael (EC The Red Bulls Salzburg)
Bodemann Yanick (HC Sierre (SUI))
Wechselberger David (EC The Red Bulls Salzburg)
Raffl Thomas (EC VSV)
Iberer Matthias (EC Graz 99ers)
Wilfan Franz (EC KAC)
Ibounig Christoph (EC KAC)
Schwab Matthias (EC The Red Bulls Salzburg)

Key-Players: Innerwinkler, Rotter, Ibounig and Grabner

Last edited:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Stevex said:
I have not heard of Ben Wallace.. he's not on the roster. There is a Stephen Wallace on the Vipers who is one of the better players for the GB men's team. He's 22 now or so though so I dont know how much better he can get.

Looking at the squad there are two guys who are in Canadian hockey academies. Lewis Day who is at Okanagan (pretty good program I think) and Ben O'Connor who has pulled out of the tourney. There is a defenseman Kurt Reynolds at a Tennesseen school.

Yeah, i meant Stephen Wallace. He was born in 1984. Is GB progressing well in hockey like other national teams. There is little funding i guess so it must be hard as a developing hockey nation.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Stevex said:
There is a defenseman Kurt Reynolds at a Tennesseen school.

He's actually playing for a Midget Major AAA team that's run by former NHL'er Darren Turcotte. Here's his profile... Link

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
J17ster said:
Yeah, i meant Stephen Wallace. He was born in 1984. Is GB progressing well in hockey like other national teams. There is little funding i guess so it must be hard as a developing hockey nation.

Nope.. GB is stagnating in comparision to other countries. At least having one elite league instead of two ought to help but only if the teams concentrate on developing British talent which isnt as quick a route to success as buying overseas players.

There is no funding at all :( and wont be until GB becomes a top 10 country. They never will unless there *is* funding. Especially with the competition increasing so much in recent years. There is a poster here by the name of Graham who I think runs the GB supporters club and hopefully there will be pressure to change this.

Jazz

Stevex said:
Nope.. GB is stagnating in comparision to other countries. At least having one elite league instead of two ought to help but only if the teams concentrate on developing British talent which isnt as quick a route to success as buying overseas players.

There is no funding at all :( and wont be until GB becomes a top 10 country. They never will unless there *is* funding. Especially with the competition increasing so much in recent years. There is a poster here by the name of Graham who I think runs the GB supporters club and hopefully there will be pressure to change this.

Another thing is how they bumbled the whole situation regarding the Olympic qualification for the 2006 Olympics. Teams had to apply to get into involved in the qualification process, and of all the teams that had a good enough rank to do so, only Britain did not apply. :shakehead

Graham has been very vocal about the dire situation that hockey is in the UK, you can read more of his thoughts here.

Also, you can see the Great Britain and Northern Ireland Ice Hockey Supporters Club that Graham is a part of here.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Gurj said:
Another thing is how they bumbled the whole situation regarding the Olympic qualification for the 2006 Olympics. Teams had to apply to get into involved in the qualification process, and of all the teams that had a good enough rank to do so, only Britain did not apply. :shakehead [/URL]

Embarrassing when teams from poorer countries (like Mexico and Romania I think) have entered.

France went down 5-3 to Kazakhstan who did not have Pushkaryev in their lineup. Maybe he isnt coming after all?

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Britain lost 1-0 to Austria, Grabner getting the gwg in the third period. GB goalie Lawrence stopped 39 of 40. Innerwinckler had a 21 shot shutout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->