2005 Top 60 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
88Nords19 said:
Coming into the season it seemed like Cogliano could definitely challenge for top 10 if not top 5. Has he not had a great season? Or is this draft just really deep?

Thanks

Cogliano was second on his team in scoring with 26-46-72 in 37 games (Peder Skinner led with 83 points in 45 games, so Cogliano was definitely on pace). Named the OHA Provincial Junior 'A' hockey league's Southern Division Rookie of the Year. Led Team Ontario to the gold medal at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, which featured several top prospects such as Gilbert Brule and Phillip Kessel. He was second overall in scoring at the event with 5-7-12 in 6 games (Brule had 13 points in 6 games to lead all scorers). Stats aren't always everything, I know, but it sure seems like he had a good year.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
steblick said:
Why Hensick at 15??? If he's rated about #50 (by most) for this year's somewhat weaker draft, how would he be rated that highly for 2005?

personally I feel he's a first round prospect right now, even if he wouldn't have been picked there. Add in another year of deveolpment and the fact that he wants to do even better next season and you have a guy that can push for the top 15 in this draft. Then again I've seen him play quite a few times so that might be a bit of bias for me going with what I know on my part.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
La-La-Laprise said:
Just cause it hasnt happened doesnt mean it wont.

It could, but this list is made in great part of North American names. You'll see Euros creeping up in the list as more reports are available and more tournaments are played. That's when some less known players will rise in such ranking lists.

You are right that just because it is a precedent doesn't mean it is impossible but I expect some tough competition for the Q crop. (and all the North Americans, really).

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
WVUCanesFan said:
personally I feel he's a first round prospect right now, even if he wouldn't have been picked there. Add in another year of deveolpment and the fact that he wants to do even better next season and you have a guy that can push for the top 15 in this draft. Then again I've seen him play quite a few times so that might be a bit of bias for me going with what I know on my part.

Of course ALL 2005 prospects will have "one more year of development" and they "want to do even better".

People on this board often overrate non opt-in players at first because they compare them NOW to guys who are a full year younger. By that standard older players look good, but scouts will always take age into consideration. That's why Lepisto is a consensus 2nd rounder this year.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vlad The Impaler said:
It could, but this list is made in great part of North American names. You'll see Euros creeping up in the list as more reports are available and more tournaments are played. That's when some less known players will rise in such ranking lists.

You are right that just because it is a precedent doesn't mean it is impossible but I expect some tough competition for the Q crop. (and all the North Americans, really).

No doubt, most lists for 2005 are NA heavy. Makes sense because we dont know much about euros until 6-12 months before their draft year.

But the 2005 QMJHL Eligible draft list is pretty amazing.

cvandenberg

Oct 19, 2003
overrated ohlers

I am an ohl fan and I have seen these guys play 4-5 times each this year. Have you guys seen these guys play? Ryder is a talent, but he is smaller than his brother. Heshmatpour and Ryan both have difficulty skating. Ryan is almost a step away from holding the boards. He has great puck skills but gets knocked off his feet easily by defensemen because he is not sturdy on his skates. That's why he had the big second half drop-off. Most of his pts came on the powerplay. Little is significantly better than Ryder.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Istomin will be a 1st round pick. Possibly the most exciting offensive player Russia had at the U17s this year, and he really made some nice nice plays and showed awsome ability.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
OneSpeedOnly said:
You underrate OHL guys-Ryan and Ryder and Staal should be higher and Little and Heshmatpour have to figure in somewhere.

I'd love for Ryder to take the title of highest drafted Newfoundlander away from Terry Ryan, but I think top-7 is way too optimistic.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Fredrik said:
Is Kris Russell any good?
I've never seen him play, but I guess we'll know better how good he can be next year. He and his brother are pretty small, so they might have to put up pretty good numbers in order to get looked at.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Where is Steve Downie??

Where do you think Patrick McNeill would be...former first overall in OHL draft whats going on with him...heard he's been pretty bad but has potential

Saprykin Fan

Sep 8, 2002
Visit site
hey

Fredrik said:
Is Kris Russell any good?

i have played against kris and ryan for the past 8 years, kris is an very good offensice defensmen, and ryan is a fairly decent offensive forward, it is to bad these 2 guys are so small, there both pretty solid. Kris played on a highly offensive medicine hat team, there is no way i think ryan should have played in the whl thsi year but thanks to the injury of brett sutter, he got some playing time, kris is by far the better of the two. any more info private message me.

Guillaume

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
As of right now, from Russia, I would say that Anikeenko, Churilov, Istomin are locks for the first round.
From the Ds, Buravchikov has a serious shot, Zubarev could potentially be picked there and Shvalev is not an impossible choice but it will depend on his development next year.
From the forwards: Bumagin is very likely to be picked in the first round, especially after his performance in the first round. Zubov who usually plays with the 1986 team will get exposure next year. He had a excellent year with Traktor Chelyabinsk and I would not be surprised if he is picked in the first round too. Krysanov has a very good shot due to his size/skills combination. Zharkov is not excluded if he can develop more his hockey sense. Kucheryavchenko will have to show more with the national team.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
How about Oskar Osala? I thought he was meant to be one of the top Finnish prospects? Is he 2006 perhaps..

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Wow, didn't expect to see Laakso that high. Actually, I came to this thread ready to say "What? Where's Teemu Laakso? He needs to be on that list... now.".

Good to see him getting some recognition. I really like this guys style (I wouldn't have him in my avatar if I didn't).

He's attending the U20 training camp that starts on Sunday. Then we'll see how he can keep up with those SM-liiga guys. I think the camp is completely off-ice training, fitness tests and such, so you can't draw too many conclusions from that, but anyway...

He's also attending the international IMG hockey camp in Los Angeles later this summer.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Stevex said:
How about Oskar Osala? I thought he was meant to be one of the top Finnish prospects? Is he 2006 perhaps..

Yes. Osala can´t draft early than 2006 cause he is later 1987.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
cvandenberg said:
I am an ohl fan and I have seen these guys play 4-5 times each this year. Have you guys seen these guys play? Ryder is a talent, but he is smaller than his brother. Heshmatpour and Ryan both have difficulty skating. Ryan is almost a step away from holding the boards. He has great puck skills but gets knocked off his feet easily by defensemen because he is not sturdy on his skates. That's why he had the big second half drop-off. Most of his pts came on the powerplay. Little is significantly better than Ryder.

No he's not, Bobby is very strong in the offensive zone and can carry d-men on his back, his second half drop off was because of fatigue, his ice time went down as did his fitness, because he had been relied upon som uch as a rookie early in the year. Little played very little early on and was fresh at the end of the year. Ryan has superior puck control and offensive awareness but needs to be more careful and avoid neutral zone turnovers, Little needs to work on his awareness and passing in the offensive zone. Ryan's skating is a problem, he has a very awkward stly, think Brashear, but has decent acceleration and his skating improved a lot from the start of the year. Ryan has far more offensive upside. To answer your question I saw Ryan about 25+ times and Little about 10+ times.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
My top 20:
1a. Sidney Crosby, C, Rimouski (QMJHL)
1b. Gilbert Brule, C, Vancouver (WHL)
3. Vitaly Anikeenko, D, Russia
4. Guillaume Latendresse, LW, Drummondville (QMJHL)
5. Teemu Lakkso, D, IFK Helsinki (Finland)
6. Romy Elayoubi, LW, Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
7. Chris Durand, Seattle(WHL)
8. Daniel Bertram, C, Camrose (AJHL)
9. Jakub Kindl, D, Czech Republic
10. Mark Staal, D, Sudbury (OHL)
11. Alex Bourret, RW, Lewiston (QMJHL)
12. Andrew Cogliano, C, St. Mike's (OPJHL)
13. J.P. Levasseur, G, Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL)
14. Gennady Churilov, F, Russia
15. Chris Lawrence, F, SSM (OHL)
16. Marek Zagrapan, F, Zlin (Slovakia)
17. Tuukka Rask, G, Ilves Tampere (Finland)
18. Alexander Bumagin, LW, Russia
19. Ryan O'Marra, C, Erie (OHL)
20. Jakub Vojta, D, Czech Republic

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vincent_TheGreat said:
My top 20:
1a. Sidney Crosby, C, Rimouski (QMJHL)
1b. Gilbert Brule, C, Vancouver (WHL)
3. Vitaly Anikeenko, D, Russia
4. Guillaume Latendresse, LW, Drummondville (QMJHL)
5. Teemu Lakkso, D, IFK Helsinki (Finland)
6. Romy Elayoubi, LW, Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
7. Chris Durand, Seattle(WHL)
8. Daniel Bertram, C, Camrose (AJHL)
9. Jakub Kindl, D, Czech Republic
10. Mark Staal, D, Sudbury (OHL)
11. Alex Bourret, RW, Lewiston (QMJHL)
12. Andrew Cogliano, C, St. Mike's (OPJHL)
13. J.P. Levasseur, G, Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL)
14. Gennady Churilov, F, Russia
15. Chris Lawrence, F, SSM (OHL)
16. Marek Zagrapan, F, Zlin (Slovakia)
17. Tuukka Rask, G, Ilves Tampere (Finland)
18. Alexander Bumagin, LW, Russia
19. Ryan O'Marra, C, Erie (OHL)
20. Jakub Vojta, D, Czech Republic

Elayoubi wont even be drafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad