2005 NHL poor draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I'd much rather have Bourdon's overall game than Lee's offensive game.

Bourdon was also expected to be picked in the 10-14 range so I don't know what you're exactly talking about, and there was a reason that Bourdon was an all tournament defender in the U18's.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:
Most people had Lee going from 10-14 and Bourdon around 16 or so. I don't see why it's suprising. Lee is a supremely talented player. Kid even made the USA team over Jack Johnson and played fair in his 4 minutes a night (joke).

How many times have you seen either of them play? Thats what I kind of thought... but thats O.K since either have I with the exception of TV. If, however, you are going to base your opinion on rankings then try and be correct about it. CSB, McKeens, ISS and Bob McKenzie's TSN mock draft all had Bourdon rated ahead of Lee.

Both will be good but I would certainly give the edge to Bourdon.

Thor

Sep 2, 2005
Whoever Pittsburgh picked. That cosby kid, or something. Terrible decision.

ginnungagap

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
superroyain10 said:
Detriot has a pretty old defense corps and should have drafted more defenseman IMO. They could have used their second round pick on a defenseman rather than Abdelkader.

Nah, Detroit took a defenseman with their first pick and Abdelkader looks better to me than any of the defensemen they could have taken in the second round. Detroit needs potential top six forwards who are over 6' and have some grit as badly as anything else. They got a couple defensemen late in the draft who were expected to go higher in Mielonen and May as well.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
superroyain10 said:
He might have been, but he's played very well in the Sharks training camp so far. San Jose has always drafted players (Kipprusoff, Sturm, Hannan, Goc, Cheechoo to name a few) ahead of where the players were "ranked", and it has generally worked for them.

...Devin scored in his first pre-season game tonite, from Michalek.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Detroit has never had much luck with the WHL, here and there some decent guys but nothing great, no one standing out from recent years.

Im not happy with us picking

Darren Helm: Im just bluntly not a fan. read nothing about him at training camp, i believe he was there, if not then im wrong. Read nothing great besides he COULD be a 3-4th liner, if he has a good year ill take that back, but in the 4th round, id rather have seen someone else taken with a little better potential

Jeff May: If he can become more physical and use his body better, then maybe ill take it back, doubtful.. i would have rather seen us take a risk at a guy that in those rounds are booms or busts, we are better at them

Bretton Stamler: A defensive defensemen, atleast he got some good PIMS, i would have rather done what i said we should have done with may and took a risk at a boom or bust, time will tell, we just dont got luck with the WHL really

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
ginnungagap said:
Nah, Detroit took a defenseman with their first pick and Abdelkader looks better to me than any of the defensemen they could have taken in the second round. Detroit needs potential top six forwards who are over 6' and have some grit as badly as anything else. They got a couple defensemen late in the draft who were expected to go higher in Mielonen and May as well.

not to mention hes young, played in michigan, knows the area, starting freshman year, the kid has 4 years atleast to develope, so hell be 22 at the earlier by the time he hits camp for the first time if he doesnt emerge before that. I cant be happier with the pick. Time will tell i guess

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
44_bertuzzi_44 said:
Since we have a thread the opposite of this i decided to make this thread.

What were some picks in the 2005 draft that appeared to be poor decisions (could have traded down and still got him) or just a bad pick.

some of the players i had in mind were ...

Vancouver Canucks - 51st - Mason Raymond. (we should have chosen a hometown boy in Andrew Kozek who was selected 53rd)

Montreal - Carey Price - 5th - they probably could have got him a couple more spots down.

San Jose - Devon Setoguchi - 8th - Why the hell did they trade up ???

You've haven't seen Raymond play, have you? Well I have. The kid is gifted. I watched him twice at the Royal Bank Cup in Weyburn (Canadian National Junior A title for those of you who don't know) and he was far and away the best forward at the tournament. He showed excellent skating ability and top-notch skills. He'll put up big numbers in college. Canuck fans who doubted this pick will eat their words.

Please put this thread in a time capsule and open it five years from now. Then we can make legitimate evaluations. Outside of Crosby, we really don't know who will survive and thrive at the NHL level.

Yayo

44_bertuzzi_44 said:
ur telling me that all the draft picks appeared to be good.

EDIT: and dont you think that San Jose could have gotten Setoguichi later on ?
He's telling you that it takes time for these guys to develop into stars. Believe it or not some of them will bust. Perhaps the Sharks' see something in Setoguchi that other teams didn't.

You never know, Setoguchi may break Gretzky's records and Crosby may quit hockey and go into acting. :sarcasm:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It's far too early to say there were any poor picks. Some picks may have been accompanied by varying degrees of surprise, but you actually have to wait a few years of development before you can break out the dreaded "p" or "b" words.

As was said, you can say that the Setoguchi pick was surprising (when the trade happened, I was jumping out of my seat with the anticipation that DW was going to get up there and announce Kopitar), if Devin does well, it negates any reason to call the pick poor. Who knows, maybe Los Angeles was particularly high on Setoguchi. The way Kopitar fell, I imagine he was scaring teams off left and right, and perhaps Devin was the Kings' plan A until San Jose snapped him up. The Sharks have the track record of unusual picks, and I'd say many of them turned out well, wouldn't you?

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
44_bertuzzi_44 said:
Since we have a thread the opposite of this i decided to make this thread.

What were some picks in the 2005 draft that appeared to be poor decisions (could have traded down and still got him) or just a bad pick.

some of the players i had in mind were ...

Vancouver Canucks - 51st - Mason Raymond. (we should have chosen a hometown boy in Andrew Kozek who was selected 53rd)

Montreal - Carey Price - 5th - they probably could have got him a couple more spots down.

San Jose - Devon Setoguchi - 8th - Why the hell did they trade up ???

How is Andrew Kozek considered a hometown boy? He's not from Vancouver. He's from Revelstoke, BC. I know because I went to school with him.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
44_bertuzzi_44 said:
yah im excited about us picking Bourdon ... the only player i would have prefered was Kopitar... but now when i think about it ... Kopitar seems risky .. Bourdon is a more solid pick. And he makes me feel happy about our Defense :D
And how is Kopitar risky?

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
Setoguchi will grow in the Sharks system. They have good centres and upcomming talent. He'll be on the 2nd line in a few years.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
nomorekids said:
i was furious when we took Parent, but given that he's had an incredible camp...I feel a bit better.

I was furious when Calgary took Pelech. Given that he's had a terrible camp... I feel even worse. :(

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
Vikke said:
Setoguchi was the most surprising pick, in my opinion.
from all reports from camp and pre-season games, he seems to be a very very good pick for the sharks...
44_bertuzzi_44 said:
yah im excited about us picking Bourdon ... the only player i would have prefered was Kopitar... but now when i think about it ... Kopitar seems risky .. Bourdon is a more solid pick. And he makes me feel happy about our Defense :D
kopitar has had such a good camp that dave taylor is trying to convice him to stay in north america instead of going to back to sweden...

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
saillias said:
I was furious when Calgary took Pelech. Given that he's had a terrible camp... I feel even worse. :(

You also forget to mention that he improved throughout the camp...his last day was that much better than his first day. Heck, he was a younger player compared to those drafted in his year and in the camp he was probably the youngest guy. He was drafted on having some skill, but more on having all the raw skill packages that need to be developed(3-4 years). Many big defenseman are in that same boat, look at Chara when he was drafted, etc. Heck, even Robyn Regehr was in a similar boat when drafted and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad