2005 NHL Draft Top Prospect List

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvandenberg

Oct 19, 2003
Here is a preliminary list of who I think will be the top prospects for the 2005 NHL Draft. Please respond with any names I am omitting. I am basing this on this year's performance, not potential.

1. Sidney Crosby, C, Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL) 33-33-43-76-36
2. Gilbert Brule, C, Vancouver Giants (WHL) 38-17-20-37-49
3. Gillaume Latendresse, LW, Drummondville (QMJHL) 34-15-17-32-39
4. Vitaly Anikeeko, D, Russia
5. Bobby Ryan, LW, Owen Sound Attack (OHL) 31-16-10-26-36
6. Matt Lashoff, D, Kitchener Rangers(OHL) 29-3-11-14-41
7. Chris Durand, C, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL) 28-10-12-22-29
8. Alex Bourret, RW, Lewiston MAINEiacs (QMJHL) 31-9-18-27-41
9. Jakub Vojta, D, Czech Republic
10.Marc Staal, D, Sudbury Wolves (OHL) 34-0-10-10-22

Others: Adam Mior, G, PEI; Ryan Wilson, D, St. Mike's; Adam Abraham, D, Misissauga; Patrick Davis, RW, Kitchener; Devereaux Heshmatpour, D, Kitchener; Alexander Vincent, G, Chicoutimi; Andrew Andricopoulos, D, Quebec; Joey Ryan, D, Quebec; Daniel Bertram, C, Camrose (AJHL); Devin Setoguchi, C, Saskatoon; David Kuchejda, F, Czech Republic; Michael Blunden, RW, Erie; Ryan O' Marra, C, Erie; Sean O'Connor, LW, Erie; Carey Price, G, Tri-City; Scott Jackson, D, Seattle; Trevor Peeters, G, Red Deer; Phil Kessel, LW, US U-17; Jack Skille, C, US U-17; Mathieu Aubin, RW, Lewiston; Luc Bourdon, D, Val D'Or; Mathieu Carle, RW, Acadie-Bathurst; Nick Drazenovic, C, Prince George; Raymond Macias, D, Kamloops; Howie Martin, C, Brampton; Patrick McNeill, D, Saginaw

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
A few more good players from the US U17 team are forwards Ryan Stoa and Jason Lawrence, defensemen Jack Johnson, Mark Mitera, and Mike Stuart, as well as goaltender Jeff Frazee (Not including '88s like Peter Mueller and Chad Morin who are both top players for the 2006 draft). Supposedly this team is the most skilled NTDP team ever assembled.

I'll also note that a few players you have listed are late '87s and as such they won't be eligible for the draft until 2006 (Joey Ryan, Phil Kessel, and Mathieu Carle are the ones I know for sure).

Sabes

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
You can add Defenceman Mike Gauthier of the Prince Albert Raiders on there. He was drafted 3rd behind Brule and Bertram. He's 6'4 185 already, when he fills out he will be a monster. Has 1 goal in 30 games with 73 PIMs and is a +7. He also has 5 fighting majors and I don't think he has lost yet.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Add Kenny Petkau to that list...maybe in the others though. I could see him going in the first 3 rounds.

Petkau's Vitals:

#18 - Kenny Petkau
Birth Date: Mar. 17/87
Height & Weight: 6'1/192
Off Season Home: Surrey, BC

2001-2002 Season Stats:
Last Year's Club: Port Coquitlam
GP: 55
Goals: 7
Assists: 21

2003-2004 Stats Thus Far:

* 18 Ken Petkau 34 3 3 6 -4 15

Not great, but hes behind quite a few good players on that team.

cvandenberg

Oct 19, 2003
2004/2005

chuckie said:
how does this draft compare to 2003, 2004 for depth and top end talent

2005 is way deeper than 2004 in the depth of players. In 2004 it is felt there are maybe 10 top-end players, but the top players keep emerging in 2005. I tshould be one of the best ever!

cvandenberg

Oct 19, 2003
staals

kngbryn said:
Might be a stupid question but, is Marc Staal the brother of Eric Staal?

Yes Marc Staal is the brother of Eric, and Jordan is a 15 year old who should go high in the OHL draft htis summer.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
cvandenberg said:
Here is a preliminary list of who I think will be the top prospects for the 2005 NHL Draft. Please respond with any names I am omitting. I am basing this on this year's performance, not potential.

OK, how about in terms of potential for top 3.
Sid is still #1 but I put Latendresse ahead of Brule because he's bigger, younger and second only to Sid among "Q" rookies in +- (he's +10). Any arguments in favour of Brule? His scoring stats are impressive. I haven't seen +- stats for the "W".

Iwanna

Dec 16, 2003
Czech Republic
Visit site
for few exceptions the best Czech "87" players will perform on the Viking Cup this year. The best players missing are Kindl, Husicka, Svoboda, Sobotka but there are some great "88". so watch out for them, unfortunatelly they might no do very well as a team there :dunno:

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Iwanna said:
for few exceptions the best Czech "87" players will perform on the Viking Cup this year. The best players missing are Kindl, Husicka, Svoboda, Sobotka but there are some great "88". so watch out for them, unfortunatelly they might no do very well as a team there :dunno:

Is Ondrej Fiala playing for this team?

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
cvandenberg said:

OK, how about in terms of potential for top 3.
Sid is still #1 but I put Latendresse ahead of Brule because he's bigger, younger and second only to Sid among "Q" rookies in +- (he's +10). Any arguments in favour of Brule? His scoring stats are impressive. I haven't seen +- stats for the "W".
I believe the WHL is a harder league to crack as a 16 year old----because players are no where near physically mature and are playing a more physically demanding style of hockey against 19 and 20 year old men.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
GOTEAM said:
I believe the WHL is a harder league to crack as a 16 year old----because players are no where near physically mature and are playing a more physically demanding style of hockey against 19 and 20 year old men.

I would agree since the "W" is tighter checking going by average goals and also it's probably not a coincidence the WHL provided almost the whole defexce for U20 team Canada. I suspect Latendresse would still do well in the "W" though; he's 6'2" 215 lbs,

czechhockeyfan

Mar 8, 2003
Czech republic
Visit site
moosefan said:
Is Ondrej Fiala playing for this team?

Yes , Fiala will be there.

The best 2005 czech prospect is Jakub Kindl, easily TOP Ten prospect.
Much better than Jakub Vojta. But Kindl is U-18 regular player(the best D) and won´t be there.
2006 Eligible great prospect are David Ruzicka, Michael Frolik, Jiri Tlusty.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
czechhockeyfan said:
Yes , Fiala will be there.

The best 2005 czech prospect is Jakub Kindl, easily TOP Ten prospect.
Much better than Jakub Vojta. But Kindl is U-18 regular player(the best D) and won´t be there.
2006 Eligible great prospect are David Ruzicka, Michael Frolik, Jiri Tlusty.

I heard from sources that Fiala is the best 2006 ranked Czech out there.

Steelerman

Dec 19, 2002
Manitoba
Visit site
I'm probably trampling somewhere I shouldn't be, but when I was researching the Finns U-17 team I found a three-game series with the Czechs. The leading scorer in the series was David Kuchejda (3-G, 1-A) and Tomas Polok right behind (1-G, 2-A). Tomas Kudelka scored a goal and an assist, Michal Frolik had two assists.

Besides those players, the one who intrigued me was goalie Alexandr Salak, two games, two shutouts. Granted the Finns U-17 aren't the second coming of Pitkanen, Ruutu, et. al., but he did make 47 stops.

Can either moosefan or czechhockeyfan (or someone else) go into any details about the Czech prospects (Fiala, Ruzicka, Tlusty) and some of the players I listed above, or can you post a link to some info? Just looking for some general idea about how good they might be... Thanks.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Steelerman said:
I'm probably trampling somewhere I shouldn't be, but when I was researching the Finns U-17 team I found a three-game series with the Czechs. The leading scorer in the series was David Kuchejda (3-G, 1-A) and Tomas Polok right behind (1-G, 2-A). Tomas Kudelka scored a goal and an assist, Michal Frolik had two assists.

Besides those players, the one who intrigued me was goalie Alexandr Salak, two games, two shutouts. Granted the Finns U-17 aren't the second coming of Pitkanen, Ruutu, et. al., but he did make 47 stops.

Can either moosefan or czechhockeyfan (or someone else) go into any details about the Czech prospects (Fiala, Ruzicka, Tlusty) and some of the players I listed above, or can you post a link to some info? Just looking for some general idea about how good they might be... Thanks.

I will leave that up to him to comment on as I am not much of an expert on these guys. I was hoping that I was going to see them at the under 17s this year but for some reason the Czechs are not there but Slovak is, which in my opinion is bad but still leaves me two great players to watch from Slovak as I have heard that both Tomas Marcinko and David Skokan (the two 1988 born players) are two ultra talented players, some sources that I know think these two could be like the Kastsitsyn and Zhakarov combo???? All I can say I don't know yet but I will post about it soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->