2005 NHL Draft Top 20 CHLers

Status
Not open for further replies.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
cvandenberg said:
I didn't put J.P. Paquet or Mike Gauthier on the list because they are having really tough adjustments in their junior leagues. I think they have 3 points in 80 games between them, so no matter waht they did against other 16 year olds, they are not on my first round. Patrick McNeill has not played physical this year and is having a bit of a disappointing season with Saginaw. Defensively he hasn't played well even though he is a defenseman. He is also about 5'10 at the most in real life. I know a guy who played in Strtahroy last year with him. Ryan O'Marra is a pure goal scorer, while Lawrence is more a playmaker. Anyone that tells me that Marc Staal will not be taken in the first 15 picks in the draft next year will eat their words! The name will get him there, but if anyone has seen this guy's size and how he skates, teams can't lay off a guy like that. Also he offensively has outperformed some of the people who are saying are better. To rank Gauthier, Paquet and McNeill ahead of him is pretty risky! Paquet can't even score in the Q! To address the JP Levasseur situation this kid isn't even playing in the Q this year (1 game), so to compare him to Mior or Price would not be fair. If he was that good, they would have called him up. We can't put too much stock in one tourney (the under 17s) remember these guys have played entire season's in their other leagues. And yes, Kessel and Daniel Ryder are both 2006 draft eligible. Steve Downie is going to be good but he has not scored much this season. One name that I forgot to put on to watch out for is RYAN WILSON of St. Mike's (OHL).

Ryder is not 2006, what you have to know about Paquet is that he and Bourdon are both getting brought in slow in the QMJHL, both of them are luckey to see more than 8 min a game play time in most. Levasseur is only back in Midget AAA because he can come in next year where as Rouyn had two decent goalies for this year, just because he is back in AAA means nothing of his ability, the team wants him to get as much playing time as possible rather than ride the pine. Scoring isn't everything, you have to look at playing time, the systems they are put in, Patrick McNeill has alot ot pressuer on him to be the franchise right now, and I have seen him play about 5 games live and other people that I trust have told me that he is having a great year in Saginaw. Gauthier is more of a defensive defensemen who isn't going to rip up score sheets but he goes out and gets the job done and he does it well. You are putting ungodley predictions out for 16 year olds, especially d-men to be very successful in the league right now and that does not happen too often as the yare brought in slow and and trying to learn a new game.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
moosefan said:
Staal is great in the defensive zone yes, but he isn't going to be a good two way threat, which is great because guys like Adam Foote are like that, but Anikeenko is way above everyone he is like Rob Blake, Patrick McNeill is just awsome, very steady, smart, patient was the #1 d-man for Ontario, awsome on defense and great at creating from the point, he is the total package; J-P Paquet IMO is a better all around d-man than Staal, Paquet plays good defense, has an awsome shot creates alot in the offensive zone, makes things happen; then their is Buravchikov who IMO is better than Staal as well, he is like Anton Volchenkov with better vision and passing on the ice; Mike Gauthier, Dustin Kohn IMO are also better than Staal; Jack Johnson is way way better than Staal, and will probably be the 3rd d-man picked in the draft. Jakub Kindl is a super prospect up their with Anikeenko. This draft is super deep with extreme talent everywhere. I have seen most of these 87s play at the U17s this year and at normal CHL games and tournaments and I can say Staal is awosome but guys like (in order)

This is how I would rank the top 15 d-men for this draft, all these guys IMO have star potetial writen on them.

1. Anikeenko
2. Jakub Kindl
3. Jack Johnson
4. V. Buravchikov
5. J-P Paquet
6. Matt Lashoff
7. Patrick McNeill
8. Jakub Vojta
9. Dustin Kohn
10. Mike Gauthier
11. Then Marc Staal IMO
12. Luc Bourdon
13. Devereaux Heshmatpour
14. Raymond Macias
15. Andrew Andricopoulos

Don't you think you're a little harsh on the OHL with those rankings?

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
OneSpeedOnly said:
Don't you think you're a little harsh on the OHL with those rankings?

break down is:

OHL: 4
WHL: 3
QMJHL: 3
USA: 1
Europe: 4

how is this harsh on the OHL, I think the guys I listed are the better now, next year guys might develope more than others and the list will certainly change, Lashoff is 6th and McNeill 7th that is not a bad ranking that is 1st round stuff right there. Lashoff could even be 5th on many list. People don't understand how good this draft is, I have seen these guys play many games live, this is how I seen it. Must be bad since I have 3 Euros in the top 5 guys and 1 USA player and 1 Canadian and the Canadian is from Quebec rigth, well Paquet has been hailed for years as possibly the best d-men for his age in Canada and right now he is doing nothing to disapoint. At the U17s he was Mr everything for Quebec on the point and with limited ice time in the Q he hasn't been able to do much but right now his icetime is going up and he is really starting to put points up on the board while playing solid defense.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
cvandenberg said:
To address the JP Levasseur situation this kid isn't even playing in the Q this year (1 game), so to compare him to Mior or Price would not be fair. If he was that good, they would have called him up.

Levasseur played for Rouyn Noranda today faced 57 shots in his first game let in 7 goals, if you actually look at it that is not bad.

He was the top goalie at the U17s and is making 30 something saves a night in AAA. He is in AAA because Rouyn wanted him to get more playing time rather than him be a backup, that is why he is back there.

For the recored Price had one of the worst tournaments for a started that I have seen at the U17s and this was my 3rd one plus a Canada Winter Games as well. Price got pulled in 3 of his 4 starts and all 3 where in the 1st to very early 2nd. He was fine on shots from out far, but as soon as the guys got the puck in close to him he was very scrammbly in nets and his style in those situations left alot to be desired.

Ego

Mar 15, 2002
Slovakia
Visit site
GOBRUINS19 said:
Their were a few Euro 2006 propsects playing in the U-17. Marcinko and Skokan on Czech were awesome!!
You only wrote two sentences with two mistakes. Marcinko and Skokan never played for Czech because they are from Slovakia. Skokan is 2007 prospect while he is born late in 1988.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
OK nevermind about Sheppard.

He is born 4 month 11 day not 11 month 4 day :)

None the less he is a bit lazy and isnt overly fast. Has nice hands and is physical though.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
La-La-Laprise said:
Elayoubi wont even be drafted in my opinion.

Sheppard is a November 1987. He is 2006 eligible.

His father told me that they screwed up on his birthday and that he was born on the 11th day not month so he is 2005 ranked. It said November on the Quebec site and his father told me they messed up.

John E. Ringo

Aug 18, 2003
Visit site
balddog66 said:
Bobby Ryan is still top 5 at this point, he should finish with atleast 30 goals as a rookie...he's listed as 6.3" 3 215 pounds on Owen Sounds site, but he's certainly bigger than that now...he should explode for atleast 50 next season...

others to keep an eye on in Owen Sound are Kevin Baker and Wes Cunningham, with the loss of Giorodano and Jarrett next year they should see prime icetime...many players breakout big time after year one and I expect these to will.

Ryan is a talented player, for sure, but I can't get over the fact that he skates like a Wednesday night beer leaguer. It's been a long time since I have seen someone lumber around the ice like he does. Very heavy feet and stiff knees. He has to start working alot harder on his skating if he wants to become an impact player at the next level. Jason Allison was a rough skater, sure, as was Tim Kerr. Ryan could be like a Kerr-esque player down the road because he certainly has the stick skills and touch around the net. But his skating HAS to improve drastically.

Cunningham plays hard but looks like he weighs a buck and a half max, at about 5'10". That's not exactly the size NHL folks are looking at for their d-men. Baker, I like his drive and grit, but again he's a bit undersized. Both Cunningham and Baker are going to be excellent major junior players but I question them as NHL prospects.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
moosefan said:
I have not seen Heshmatpour this year, but a few friends of mine have, they have been saying that he is not getting much ice time, but for the ice time he is getting he is looking very awkward and out of place, so much raw skill. IMO the ranking I did are for right now, next year will be the year to see if this guy is for real, or just all size, skill but no direction.

Hesh seems overrated at this point.

John E. Ringo

Aug 18, 2003
Visit site
Havlat said:
Wasn't Heshmatpour that BIG BIG guy ho has been recognize with an article on the internet ? I can't remeber where I saw that article but he was great and reading it made me feel like Heshmatpour is the man ! :yo:

Any complete scouting report on the guy ? Moosefan I know you like when someone ask you this question ! :rolly:

I saw Heshmatpour a couple times early in the season and questioned whether he even belonged in Tier 2, let alone the OHL. Extremely poor decision-making, looked slow, lost and disinterested. He was even a healthy scratch a couple times.

But the last two times I saw the Rangers Heshmatpour looked like a keeper. His footwork has improved dramatically from the beginning of the season, and he played aggressively. Still needs to work on his decisions with the puck, but he's becoming a decent prospect again in my books.

With Valabik a near-lock to go in the first this season and both Lashoff and Heshmatpour looking as either sure-fire or potential top-rounders next season, Kitchener's defense is set for the future. Give lots of credit to Pete DeBoer and Steve Spott for developing these kids as quickly as they have. Frankly coming into the season only Lashoff could have been considered "OHL-ready", but all three have become dependable major juniors with professional upside. Too many junior coaches these days are failing in the development category.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
With the way he's playing right now, don't be surprised if Elayoubi isn't drafted in 2005. Everyone had great expectations for him but he really is making a bad reputation as someone who is disloyal to his team and teammates by not playing hard and having a bad attitude.

He has the talent, but he always thought that he was the best player in the world and now that he has a good opposition, he might start to understand that he's not THAT good. The fact that he has never been pushed physically also is a problem because he is completely unable to go into corners now that he knows that he is playing against big guys.

He's a big deception so far...

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Duff 88 i agree. PLus you get to see Romy alot, you are in the Saguenay region. He played his MAAA and minor hockey there as well as with the Sags this year.

He has a bad attitude, hes small and he doesnt work hard. That doesnt exactly make the scouts drool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->