2005 NHL Draft Top 20 CHLers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvandenberg

Oct 19, 2003
1. Sidney Crosby, C, Rimouski (QMJHL)
2. Gillaume Latendresse, LW, Drummondville (QMJHL)
3. Gilbert Brule, C, Vancouver (WHL)
4. Vitaly Anikeenko, D, Russia
5. Daniel Bertram, C, Camrose (AJHL)
6. Chris Durand, C, Seattle (WHL)
7. Andrew Cogliano, C, St. Michael's (OPJHL)
8. Ryan Mior, G, PEI (QMJHL)
9. Jakub Kindl, D, Czech Republic
10. Marc Staal, D, Sudbury (OHL)
11. Bobby Ryan, RW, Owen Sound (OHL)
12. Devin Setoguchi, C, Saskatoon (WHL)
13. Michael Blunden, C, Erie (OHL)
14. Matt Lashoff, D, Kitchener (OHL)
15. Alex Bourret, RW, Lewiston (QMJHL)
16. Blair Jones, LW, Rde Deer (WHL)
17. Alexandre Vincent, G, Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
18. Jakub Vojta, D, Czech Republic
19. Raymond Macias, D/F, Kamloops (WHL)
20. Jack Skille, F, US Under-17
21. Jack Johnson, D, Shattuck-St. Mary's (USHS)
22. Howie Martin, C, Brampton (OHL)
23. Mike Gauthier, D, Saskatoon (WHL)
24. Scott Jackson, D, Seattle (WHL)
25. Carey Price, G, Tri-Cities (WHL)
26. Ryan O'Marra, RW, Erie (OHL)
27. Luc Bourdon, D, Val D'Or (QMJHL)
28. Nick Drazenovic, C, Prince George (WHL)
29. Mathieu Aubin, RW, Lewiston (QMJHL)
30. Kenzie Sheppard, LW, Halifax (QMJHL)

I know that I am a litlle light on Euros. If anyone has any info it would be appreciated, but from what I understand 2005 is not the year of the Euro, but 2006 is! Please add any info and think with your head not your heart.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Romy Elyaoubi and Devereaux Heshmatpour? and how could you leave out Wacey Rabbit ;)

Im sure there will be some Euros suggested. I wouldnt know where they fit in though. Tomas Pospisil, Alex Sundstrom and Fredrik Pettersson..

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
You missed possibly the best goalie in the draft in J-P Levasseur, reminds me of Fleury without the flop.

Patrick McNeill IMO is better than Luc Bourdon, Chris Lawrence will go over Ryan O'Marra. J-P Paquet will go before guys like Mark Staal and Scott Jackson.

IMO Steve Downie is also a super player that might havea chance here as well, I really like Downie. I think Latendresse is a bit high, and Bertram is a bit low. Some Euros you are missing who have 1st round potential are Istomin, Chuirlov, Gawlike, Buravchikov, Sundstrom, Pospisil, Kuchejda, possibly Vondracek,

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Stevex said:
Romy Elyaoubi and Devereaux Heshmatpour? and how could you leave out Wacey Rabbit ;)

Im sure there will be some Euros suggested. I wouldnt know where they fit in though. Tomas Pospisil, Alex Sundstrom and Fredrik Pettersson..

Romy is very soft and is reluctant to go into zones with traffic, right now I wouldn't consider Elayoubi a first round pick or even 2nd round right now. Skill is there, but his attitude and work ethic are not the best right now.

Sticky*

moosefan said:
You missed possibly the best goalie in the draft in J-P Levasseur, reminds me of Fleury without the flop.

Patrick McNeill IMO is better than Luc Bourdon, Chris Lawrence will go over Ryan O'Marra. J-P Paquet will go before guys like Mark Staal and Scott Jackson.

IMO Steve Downie is also a super player that might havea chance here as well, I really like Downie. I think Latendresse is a bit high, and Bertram is a bit low. Some Euros you are missing who have 1st round potential are Istomin, Chuirlov, Gawlike, Buravchikov, Sundstrom, Pospisil, Kuchejda, possibly Vondracek,

I don't know if I believe that. Before all is said and done I think it will be between Staal and Anikeenko for the first d-man taken. Staal is an incredible talent, not just becuase of the name. Tremendous work ethic and competitiveness (like Eric), tremendous skater with a great shot and head for the game. Not afraid not make the big hit, and is about 6'3" or 6'4". May end up at around 6'5".

czechhockeyfan

Mar 8, 2003
Czech republic
Visit site
moosefan said:

Vondracek? No way, he is terrible player. Solid Czech prospect but not first rounder are Kudelka, Sobotka, Klimek, Svacina.

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
Sticky said:
I don't know if I believe that. Before all is said and done I think it will be between Staal and Anikeenko for the first d-man taken. Staal is an incredible talent, not just becuase of the name. Tremendous work ethic and competitiveness (like Eric), tremendous skater with a great shot and head for the game. Not afraid not make the big hit, and is about 6'3" or 6'4". May end up at around 6'5".

Maybe, but Vitaly Anikeenko will probably end up bigger than Staal. And I think Vitaly is way better offensively and he's really good defensively too. Staal is not a pure offensive d-man. It's true that Marc Staal as lots of talent, but not as talent than Anikeenko. The russian could be picked in the top 5, I'm sure.

Last edited:

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
moosefan said:
Romy is very soft and is reluctant to go into zones with traffic, right now I wouldn't consider Elayoubi a first round pick or even 2nd round right now. Skill is there, but his attitude and work ethic are not the best right now.

Wasn't Heshmatpour that BIG BIG guy ho has been recognize with an article on the internet ? I can't remeber where I saw that article but he was great and reading it made me feel like Heshmatpour is the man ! :yo:

Any complete scouting report on the guy ? Moosefan I know you like when someone ask you this question ! :rolly:

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Sticky said:

Staal is great in the defensive zone yes, but he isn't going to be a good two way threat, which is great because guys like Adam Foote are like that, but Anikeenko is way above everyone he is like Rob Blake, Patrick McNeill is just awsome, very steady, smart, patient was the #1 d-man for Ontario, awsome on defense and great at creating from the point, he is the total package; J-P Paquet IMO is a better all around d-man than Staal, Paquet plays good defense, has an awsome shot creates alot in the offensive zone, makes things happen; then their is Buravchikov who IMO is better than Staal as well, he is like Anton Volchenkov with better vision and passing on the ice; Mike Gauthier, Dustin Kohn IMO are also better than Staal; Jack Johnson is way way better than Staal, and will probably be the 3rd d-man picked in the draft. Jakub Kindl is a super prospect up their with Anikeenko. This draft is super deep with extreme talent everywhere. I have seen most of these 87s play at the U17s this year and at normal CHL games and tournaments and I can say Staal is awosome but guys like (in order)

This is how I would rank the top 15 d-men for this draft, all these guys IMO have star potetial writen on them.

1. Anikeenko
2. Jakub Kindl
3. Jack Johnson
4. V. Buravchikov
5. J-P Paquet
6. Matt Lashoff
7. Patrick McNeill
8. Jakub Vojta
9. Dustin Kohn
10. Mike Gauthier
11. Then Marc Staal IMO
12. Luc Bourdon
13. Devereaux Heshmatpour
14. Raymond Macias
15. Andrew Andricopoulos

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Havlat said:
Wasn't Heshmatpour that BIG BIG guy ho has been recognize with an article on the internet ? I can't remeber where I saw that article but he was great and reading it made me feel like Heshmatpour is the man ! :yo:

Any complete scouting report on the guy ? Moosefan I know you like when someone ask you this question ! :rolly:

I have not seen Heshmatpour this year, but a few friends of mine have, they have been saying that he is not getting much ice time, but for the ice time he is getting he is looking very awkward and out of place, so much raw skill. IMO the ranking I did are for right now, next year will be the year to see if this guy is for real, or just all size, skill but no direction.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
moosefan said:

Thanks moosefan. I was wondering why Elyaoubi and Heshmatpour were falling.

Sticky*

Disagree

moosefan said:
Staal is great in the defensive zone yes, but he isn't going to be a good two way threat, which is great because guys like Adam Foote are like that, but Anikeenko is way above everyone he is like Rob Blake, Patrick McNeill is just awsome, very steady, smart, patient was the #1 d-man for Ontario, awsome on defense and great at creating from the point, he is the total package; J-P Paquet IMO is a better all around d-man than Staal, Paquet plays good defense, has an awsome shot creates alot in the offensive zone, makes things happen; then their is Buravchikov who IMO is better than Staal as well, he is like Anton Volchenkov with better vision and passing on the ice; Mike Gauthier, Dustin Kohn IMO are also better than Staal; Jack Johnson is way way better than Staal, and will probably be the 3rd d-man picked in the draft. Jakub Kindl is a super prospect up their with Anikeenko. This draft is super deep with extreme talent everywhere. I have seen most of these 87s play at the U17s this year and at normal CHL games and tournaments and I can say Staal is awosome but guys like (in order)

This is how I would rank the top 15 d-men for this draft, all these guys IMO have star potetial writen on them.

1. Anikeenko
2. Jakub Kindl
3. Jack Johnson
4. V. Buravchikov
5. J-P Paquet
6. Matt Lashoff
7. Patrick McNeill
8. Jakub Vojta
9. Dustin Kohn
10. Mike Gauthier
11. Then Marc Staal IMO
12. Luc Bourdon
13. Devereaux Heshmatpour
14. Raymond Macias
15. Andrew Andricopoulos

I strongly disagree with that, but i'm not here to start an argument, everyone has their opinion. Staal to me just seems like the total package, and his development might mirror that of his brother. He is going to keep getting better and better. Highly coachable and wants to improve. And his genes can't hurt.

Anyway I think that by next year at this time, he will be considered as the best two-way d-man with the exception of Anikeenko.

Right now I would put the best 5 as Anikeenko, Staal, Jack Johnson, Kindl, and Gauthier.

Cariboux

Sep 8, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
Are you high on D François Bolduc from Rimouski Oceanic ?

At 16 only he's 6'5 and 220 and success to have a spot on the top 6 on the Rimouski's blue line.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
moosefan said:
I have not seen Heshmatpour this year, but a few friends of mine have, they have been saying that he is not getting much ice time, but for the ice time he is getting he is looking very awkward and out of place, so much raw skill. IMO the ranking I did are for right now, next year will be the year to see if this guy is for real, or just all size, skill but no direction.
That was the case the first part of the season, but over the past month, his ice time has increased and he's played much better. He's looks more comfortable in his role and has started to jump into the play occasionally.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Bobby Ryan is still top 5 at this point, he should finish with atleast 30 goals as a rookie...he's listed as 6.3" 3 215 pounds on Owen Sounds site, but he's certainly bigger than that now...he should explode for atleast 50 next season...

others to keep an eye on in Owen Sound are Kevin Baker and Wes Cunningham, with the loss of Giorodano and Jarrett next year they should see prime icetime...many players breakout big time after year one and I expect these to will.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
balddog66 said:
Bobby Ryan is still top 5 at this point, he should finish with atleast 30 goals as a rookie...he's listed as 6.3" 3 215 pounds on Owen Sounds site, but he's certainly bigger than that now...he should explode for atleast 50 next season...

others to keep an eye on in Owen Sound are Kevin Baker and Wes Cunningham, with the loss of Giorodano and Jarrett next year they should see prime icetime...many players breakout big time after year one and I expect these to will.

I don't know there is about 10 guys with top 5 potential and another 10 with top 10 potential in this draft.

cvandenberg

Oct 19, 2003
Rabbit and company

Stevex said:

Heshmatpour has struggled and has shown very little hockey sense. Rabbit is 5'9 160 and is not scoring much this year, which you need to do when you are that small. Elayoubi has shown little toughness and again is on the small side! Thanks for the Euros!

cvandenberg

Oct 19, 2003
responses

Thanks for the reponses guys! I will try to address things all at once. Romy Elayoubi were not on the list because they are small guys who are not physical who simply haven't been scoring. I didn't put J.P. Paquet or Mike Gauthier on the list because they are having really tough adjustments in their junior leagues. I think they have 3 points in 80 games between them, so no matter waht they did against other 16 year olds, they are not on my first round. Patrick McNeill has not played physical this year and is having a bit of a disappointing season with Saginaw. Defensively he hasn't played well even though he is a defenseman. He is also about 5'10 at the most in real life. I know a guy who played in Strtahroy last year with him. Ryan O'Marra is a pure goal scorer, while Lawrence is more a playmaker. Anyone that tells me that Marc Staal will not be taken in the first 15 picks in the draft next year will eat their words! The name will get him there, but if anyone has seen this guy's size and how he skates, teams can't lay off a guy like that. Also he offensively has outperformed some of the people who are saying are better. To rank Gauthier, Paquet and McNeill ahead of him is pretty risky! Paquet can't even score in the Q! To address the JP Levasseur situation this kid isn't even playing in the Q this year (1 game), so to compare him to Mior or Price would not be fair. If he was that good, they would have called him up. We can't put too much stock in one tourney (the under 17s) remember these guys have played entire season's in their other leagues. And yes, Kessel and Daniel Ryder are both 2006 draft eligible. Steve Downie is going to be good but he has not scored much this season. One name that I forgot to put on to watch out for is RYAN WILSON of St. Mike's (OHL).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->