2005 Draft: Whos Better (Bergfors or Kopitar)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Machine

Mar 3, 2002
Calgary, Alberta
Who is better right now? Who has better potential? Why would you pick one over the other?

Both players have been rated in the top 20 by McKeens. Bergfors (14) and Kopitar (17). They both play on the same Swedish team. I wonder if those who watch this team play can give me a better assessment on each players play. Thanks

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Red Machine said:
Who is better right now? Who has better potential? Why would you pick one over the other?

Both players have been rated in the top 20 by McKeens. Bergfors (14) and Kopitar (17). They both play on the same Swedish team. I wonder if those who watch this team play can give me a better assessment on each players play. Thanks

From what I have heard I believe Kopitar is. Bergfors is small and may have some adjustment issues. McKeens has Kopitar at #17 but ISS has him at #6. After the top3, guys can go anywhere.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I'd go with Kopitar- bigger upside. He reminds me of a combination of Tomas Vanek and Jason Allison, maybe Bobby Ryan too.

When he gets the puck in the offensive zone you just KNOW that he's going to do something interesting with it (like Kosistsyn but wit a different style)- a deadly shot, a sweet pass, drag some defenders right to the net, a slick close-in move. And he usually buries it. I'd say he's similar to those guys too in that his foot speed isn't the greatest but he is VERY strong on his skates.

I like Bergfors too- the best Swedish prospect since Sjostrom IMO- but while Bergfors is a little more polished all-around right now he doesn't have that "uh-oh here he comes!" effect on the fans or the opposition that Kopitar has.

Last edited:

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
steblick said:
I'd go with Kopitar- bigger upside. He reminds me of a combination of Tomas Vanek and Jason Allison, maybe Bobby Ryan too.

When he gets the puck in the offensive zone you just KNOW that he's going to do something interesting with it (like Kosistsyn but wit a different style)- a deadly shot, a sweet pass, drag some defenders right to the net, a slick close-in move. And he usually buries it. I'd say he's similar to those guys too in that his foot speed isn't the greatest but he is VERY strong on his skates.

I like Bergfors too- the best Swedish prospect since Sjostrom IMO- but while Bergfors is a little more polished all-around right now he doesn't have that "uh-oh here he comes!" effect on the fans or the opposition that Kopitar has.

OK.... I know everyone is entitled to their opinion... But don't you think there have been a lot of very good Swedish draftees since Sjostrom? I would argue he's behind a lot of them (edit: or at least a lot of them have more potential and a good shot to realiaze it).

For example:

Robert Nilson, Alexander Steen, Johannes Salmonsson, Johan Fransson, Carl Soderberg, Loui Eriksson, Yared Hagos, Niklas Grossman, Daniel Fernholm, and probably a few others I'm forgetting (and before you jump my case about all the Stars prospects on there, know that I kind of despise Dallas even though I live in Texas (I'm from Hartford, so relocated franchises don't sit that well with me, especially ones that head south out of hockey markets). You just have to respect their scouting ability in Sweden and Finland).

I should also add that I think it's a good probability someone like the Wings, Avs, or Stars will pull someone no one has ever heard of out of their ***** that will blow Sjostrom AND all of the people I just listed out of the water. Those big market teams with the $$$$ for top notch scouting have a way of doing that (see Zetterberg, Henrik).

edit part deux: WHOA. I just read your profile and did not realize that you're an ex-pro scout. :bow: While I still disagree with you on Sjostrom, could you at least tell me what you see in him that has you put him above guys like Nilson, Steen, and Eriksson, all of whom I think very highly of?

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Well, Sjostrom went about 10th in his draft year- about as he was expected to, if not lower. The other Swedes you mentioned all went lower than that. Now, I know that's not a conclusive argument, but there's a reason the ratings were so: Although some of them may be better prospects than Sjostrom now, they weren't so in their respective draft years. Although that claim is still subjective, I think you'll find that most of the scouting agencies agreed (looking at pre-draft rating numbers).

Sjostrom really was dominant in his draft year on that Sweden team- and that's what I'm referring to. Bergfors is the most dominant Swede in the _draft year_ that I've seen since Sjostrom.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Fredrik said:
Bergfors is the better player right now. He's played more or less regularly for the senior team while Kopitar hasn't.

It's close. Bergfors was definitely, along with Istomin, Skille and Kessell among the standout forwards in Tjorn at the recent 5-nations tournament.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
...and Anze Kopitar made his debut with slovenian national team in the 2005 Final Olympic Qualification Tournament Group B. One goal & one assist in three games is definately more than OK for a player of his age.

scoring leaders

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
steblick said:
It's close. Bergfors was definitely, along with Istomin, Skille and Kessell among the standout forwards in Tjorn at the recent 5-nations tournament.

On the contrary I have actually heard Bergfors had a pretty mediocre tournament (by his standards, even though putting up good numbers). Sadly, I could not attend the tourney myself. From the reports I have received Nicklas Bäckström (06 eligible) and Johan Andersson (05 eligible) were the stand-outs among forwards.

Considering so many top Swedish players were missing in this tourney, and looking at this team's result earlier this season, perhaps we could/should consider Sweden a decent candidate for a bronze medal, or at least a semifinal spot in the U18 WJCs? I hope so... ;)

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
steblick said:

I heard someone compare him to Bondra but it seems like you are describing a different player. Bondra is very fast and also quick. He also is strong on the puck with a great shot. I would not say has a sweet pass, drags defenders to the net etc. He is a better open ice player.

Does Kopitar have the ability to improve his skating to make it a strength?

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Considering Kopitars performance last week with the national team I would assume that he´ll play in the World Championships as well. Slovenia will play in the same group as Canada, USA and Latvia and the official WC-site can be found here.

niconi09

Feb 12, 2005
Ontario
Does anyone know the site or have a link to the NHL 2005 Draft list...I remember seeing it not to long ago, but i'd like ot look at it again. Can you send it to me? thanks.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Vicious Vic - have you actually seen Sjostrom play? Just wondering because it sounds a bit like you're just judging him on stats if you think he should be behind Daniel Fernholm.

Sjostrom has done pretty well in the NHL, scoring more goals than Hemsky did his rookie year (in less games and playing on a defensive line). He looks a very safe bet to become a two-way 2nd liner, with potential to become a Jere Lehtinen type of player which (IMO) is just as valuable as a first liner that some of those other prospects might become - they are a long way from it still and most, if not all of them, will not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->