2005 Draft - Who do you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
From the list below it seems that of the top 30 players in the 2005 draft 5 players are 6' and 10 players are either 5'11 or 5'10. Is it me or are there a lot of small players in the 1st round draft this coming year?

With the exception of Crosby and Brule if your team were to move up who would you like to see your team draft. I would like to see my team draft Latendresse for his size and scoring ability.

http://membres.lycos.fr/hockeyscout/2005.htm

Duff88

May 7, 2002
aragorn said:
From the list below it seems that of the top 30 players in the 2005 draft 5 players are 6' and 10 players are either 5'11 or 5'10. Is it me or are there a lot of small players in the 1st round draft this coming year?

With the exception of Crosby and Brule if your team were to move up who would you like to see your team draft. I would like to see my team draft Latendresse for his size and scoring ability.

http://membres.lycos.fr/hockeyscout/2005.htm

This site hasn't been updated in like 6-7 months.

About the size issue you talked about, if I look at my own list :

1 player is 6'6
1 player is 6'5
4 players are 6'4
14 players are 6'3
13 players are 6'2
18 players are 6'1
15 players are 6'0
14 players are 5'11
8 players are 5'10
1 player is 5'9

This means, in my top 89 players (Probably a few I forgot), only 23 are 6'0 or less, which is 26%. There might be a few players with wrong size, but it looks like normal to me.

A few players I'll watch closely this year are : Bergfors, Zagrapan, Bourdon, Vincent, Bartanus, Vojta, Rask, Hensick, Yandle, Ryder, Donati, Kindl, O'Marra, Staal, Lashoff, Bertram, Truhno, Zubov, Buravchikov, Kovac, Kopitar, Wandell, Hjalmarsson, Pettersson, Skille, Drazenovic, Durand and Gauthier. (That's quite a long list).

Last edited:

RDriesen

May 22, 2002
Visit site
yep, but it does seem like there are a lot of smaller players this year. unless A LOT of them grew. if the Jackets cant get crosby or brule, i want jack johnson. maybe want him more than brule. we NEED an impact dman

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
RDriesen said:
yep, but it does seem like there are a lot of smaller players this year. unless A LOT of them grew. if the Jackets cant get crosby or brule, i want jack johnson. maybe want him more than brule. we NEED an impact dman

Slava Klesla anyone?

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
size is important but sometimes people put way too much emphasis on it...and there is a huge difference between 5'10 and 6'4, but i don't think you can make a big deal over the difference between 5'11 and 6'0 but most people consider 5'11 or under short but 6'0 and over isn't...

also don't forget that we are talking about 17-18 year olds, so there is still time that some of them could still grow an inch or 2 and you expect/hope that they will add weight...and some of the heights/weights that you are seeing could be slightly date

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
X-SHARKIE said:
If Sharks could somehow land both Ryan O'Marra and Alexander Vincent that would be awesome....I also think Marc Staal is better then advertised.

Still to early. Hell mabey Kindl well fall to the SHarks....:) OOOO BOY that would be sweet.

You dont need more Goalies.

You took 4 last year and you already had like 5 in the system and Ehlecher from 2003.

Kubera55

Mar 15, 2004
As a Ranger fan, I feel like it would be serendipity for the Rangers to get Jack Johnson. American born defenseman, plays both ends of the ice, great speed and hockey smarts ... is he a red-head? Can I just start calling him Brian Leetch Jr. now?

And he's even going to be a Michigan alum (he can join Montoya, Helminen, and Ortmeyer in the growing line of Spartans occupying the Rangers system).

Come on hockey gods, you owe us something, don't you?

As for Brule and Crosby... I really have to say I do wonder about their size. I've never seen either play, so I just have to go by what others have written... but 5'10" and everyone's saying that Crosby is a prospect on par with Lindros? Jeezus he better have Gretzky's hockey smarts and the greatest set of hands ever to lace up a set of hockey skates. Frankly I'd be a little surprised if this years dynamic duo (Crosby & Brule) do as well as their king-sized Russian counterparts (Ovechkin & Malkin). But hey, guess we'll all get to have fun finding out... well, if the lockout ever ends that is.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Kubera55 said:
As for Brule and Crosby... I really have to say I do wonder about their size. I've never seen either play, so I just have to go by what others have written... but 5'10" and everyone's saying that Crosby is a prospect on par with Lindros? Jeezus he better have Gretzky's hockey smarts and the greatest set of hands ever to lace up a set of hockey skates. Frankly I'd be a little surprised if this years dynamic duo (Crosby & Brule) do as well as their king-sized Russian counterparts (Ovechkin & Malkin). But hey, guess we'll all get to have fun finding out... well, if the lockout ever ends that is.

They're both 5'11''...

Hobey Baker

May 27, 2004
Charlestown
sabresprospects.com
Latendresse....no question. It seems to be the popular flavor. I know what you're thinking: "Buffalo needs DMEN!"....toss Johnson in there, too, I guess. The current Sabres regime will simply ignore their most glaring needs anyways, so I should just stick with Latrendresse.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kubera55 said:
And he's even going to be a Michigan alum (he can join Montoya, Helminen, and Ortmeyer in the growing line of Spartans occupying the Rangers system).

Ouch, ouch, ouch. I hope Michigan or Michigan State fans don't read this. All those players are from the U of M Wolverines, not the Spartans, that's MSU.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Caps would be looking at the following...

Guillaume Latendresse
Ryan O'Marra
Jack Johnson
Michael Blunden
Jakub Kindl
Vitaly Anikienko
Anton Belov
Deveraeaux Heshmatpour
Niklas Bergfors
Chris Durand
Anze Kopitar
Bobby Ryan
Daniel Bertram
Andrew Cogliano
Mark Staal
Teemu Laakso
Mike Gauthier

Zagrapan is really good, but dangler is the antithesis of what we are looking for. I think we are going to wind up Crosby or Brule. After that possibly Johnson, Kindl, Anikienko, Ryan, Belov, or Laakso probably in that order. Latendresse's injury issues may scare us. I'm fond of O'Marra. Watch Blunden be Top5 by year end. Rugged game suits the NHL...

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
In lieu of getting either Crosby or Brule, I'd take the best available defensive prospect. Preferably of the monster size type. The Caps have plenty of capable puck moving defensemen, they need a physical defenseman in the eventual Chris Pronger mold. I'm not completely sure who will fit that bill, but whoever's closest would get a strong look for the Caps to take, if they move down or if someone fits the bill at their spot in the top 5.

Though, I'd also hope the Caps looked for a number 1 centerman (which would/should be Brule/Crosby) but could be someone else later on.

They could also use to add a younger goalie, a Right Winger with some speed and upside, and more large defensemen.

Oh wait, it's the Caps, so, 3/4ths of our picks will come from the WHL.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
That top 30 list seems quite outdated.I think things have changed alot.

X0ssbar

RDriesen said:

Agreed. Jack Johnson if we fall out of the Crosby/Brule sweepstakes.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
With limited and purely OHL viewing thus far in the season, the two players who have caught my eye most are:

Bobby Ryan - legit power forward type, has raised his skating to "good enough", but I just wish he'd be more aggressive.

Ryan Wilson - always seems to play big in the 4 St. Mike's games I've seen and seems to be getting more and more responsibility and icetime. Plays tough (just 6-1/205, though), seems to be finding the net with his big point shots, and looks poised to become a leader on that blueline. I'm just trying to decide if it stops there, if he's going to be one of those really great tough all-around junior defensemen, or if his skill set will translate at all as an NHL prospect. I don't see him mentioned much, so I assume he's not high on most peoples' lists. But I'm liking what I see so far.

Sticky*

Im a flames fan through and through, and would be ecstatic if they could add Marc Staal to their defense, but they will probably pick a forward, in that case, I am hoping for Chris Durand. I like this kid a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad