2005 Draft, Top 10

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
RallyKiller said:
Wow

Ryan > Pouliot Oshie bourdon Staal Kopitar

Skilled power forwards like Ryan are hard to find. the only clear cut guy above him should be Johnson and Crosby. He and Brule are ahead of the others you listed.

Explain how Ryan > Kopitar?

I'm not saying Kopitar's better; I just don't think you can say with authority one is better than the other.

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
1-Crosby
2-Brule
3-Johnson
4-Kopitar
5-Bourdon
6-Ryan
7-Staal
8-Price
9-Setoguchi
10-Pouliot

leafaholix*

gars59 said:
Price will also be number one in finland :biglaugh: , finland have not the deepht of canada ..... !!!!!! Imo rask dont make also the team canada last years ......
Tuukka Rask is better than any Canadian goalie prospect that hasn't played in the NHL.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Prussian_Blue said:
Because Oshie's the one that projects to a 1st/2nd line offensive player... ;)

Don't get me wrong... I like Bergfors too. A lot. But Oshie has been the steal of that draft as far as I'm concerned.

P_B

:bow: :blues
Oshie's a great player but mind you there are a lot of guys picked after him that can make a similar claim.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
I'm just glad it's only the top 10 and not the whole draft,i'm lost for words and don't know how to justify Sutter taking Matt fricking Pelech :banghead:

Randall Graves*

King'sPawn said:
Explain how Ryan > Kopitar?

I'm not saying Kopitar's better; I just don't think you can say with authority one is better than the other.
I've seen Ryan play, I haven't seen Kopitar play simple as that. It would be stupid for me to go Kopitar > all, I've seen video with Ryan on top of his game and if Kopitar is that good I'll take it back.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Peter James Bond said:
What are you talking about? Kopitar made great strides. If there was a re-draft today, Anze would go #2 without question.

Kopitar led the Swedish Elite League Relegation Round with 7 goals in 10 games.
He is currently the 4th overall scorer in the World Championships. You'll see his name above Ovechkin and Malkin:

http://live82.ihwc.net/hydra/stats/...ata/iihf/output/xml/46/IHM046Z03_85B_1_0.html

1 - Pittsburgh - Sidney Crosby
2 - Anaheim - Anze Kopitar
3 - Carolina - Jack Johnson
4 - Minnesota - Gilbert Brule
5 - Montreal - Marc Staal
6 - Columbus - Nicklas Bergfors
7 - Chicago - Bobby Ryan
8 - San Jose - Benoit Pouliot
9 - Ottawa - Carey Price
10 - Vancouver - Luc Bourdon

Anaheim would take Bobby Ryan or Jack Johnson if the draft were today.

Kopitar hasn't moved up as much as you think.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Bobby Ryan was a dominant player in the first half of the OHL season then he slowed down.

If he improves his conditioning and his skating he can be a star in the NHL.

I don't know why people are dropping him from the top 5. Only Crosby and Johnson should be ahead of him.

Gophers

Nov 23, 2004
There is no way Oshie goes in the top 10 if the draft is redone. He is better than people expected, much better than I expected, but he should land somewhere between 10-20, I havent seen enough(or been convinced enough) of some of the other prospects to say exactly where I think he goes.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
Bobby Ryan was a dominant player in the first half of the OHL season then he slowed down.

If he improves his conditioning and his skating he can be a star in the NHL.

I don't know why people are dropping him from the top 5. Only Crosby and Johnson should be ahead of him.

Brule is clearly ahead of Ryan at this point.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
1-Crosby
2-Johnson
3-Brule
4-Ryan
5-Bourdon
6-Staal
7-Kopitar
8-Oshie
9-Price
10-Pouliot

would be my list. Switch Staal and Bourdon, they are pretty even in my eyes. It is sort of dumb to do these kinds of lists only a year removed, because someone like Lee won't make any lists and has a HUGE upside. Oh well, that's what message boards are for.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
jtuzzi said:
1-Crosby
2-Johnson
3-Brule
4-Ryan
5-Bourdon
6-Staal
7-Kopitar
8-Oshie
9-Price
10-Pouliot

would be my list. Switch Staal and Bourdon, they are pretty even in my eyes. It is sort of dumb to do these kinds of lists only a year removed, because someone like Lee won't make any lists and has a HUGE upside. Oh well, that's what message boards are for.

Even non-Blues fans are overrating Oshie now...

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
Even non-Blues fans are overrating Oshie now...
I was thinking of putting him higher to be honest. Just because he was a later round pick doesn't mean he should get bashed for it. I have seen Oshie quite a bit, and he can flat out PLAY. Has dominated many NCAA games, and you always notice him. He plays like Tuomo Ruutu, but less physical and better defensively. If you can justifiably argue anyone who I didn't list that should be ahead of Oshie, go ahead. The Blues recently have drafted extremely well, and Oshie is probably their biggest so far.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I've seen Oshie in several games and at the World Juniors on the tube. He is a high level talent and will score at any level he plays at. Ryan did not have a great year and at the World Juniors was a much lesser player than Oshie. I don't know what point of comparison people are using to say that Ryan is far superior. Head up at the only time they played together Oshie was significantly better. And there is no way Ryan would be playing as well as Kopitar is at the World Championship. Might even be doubtful if Ryan makes the American team. I think Oshie clearly makes the team and probably becomes an offensive threat.

Maybe two or three years from now Ryan develops into the better player. That may well happen. But he has to pick up his skating. That throws some doubt on his future.

Also to say that Ryan is obviously better than Brule is simply ludicrous. Brule has been far more dominant than Ryan at the Junior level.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
One year is not enough perspective to re-rank a draft. It's almost as much conjecture at this point as if we'd done it the day after the players were selected. Five years is a much better yardstick than one - by that time the men who are going to make it (including late-rounders) have established a role with their respective NHL teams and those who have busted are putting up career-minor-leaguer numbers in the AHL, ECHL or Europe. It is rare to see a successful NHL career out of a guy who hasn't made a name for himself by draft year + 5, whereas it is exceptionally common to see great players who are still anonymous after the first post-draft campaign.

Why bother judging guys who are still growing into their bodies, changing leagues, learning new styles, workout routines, etc.? One guy, Jack Skille for example, moves up a league, doesn't put up the flashy numbers that everyone expects and is suddenly not worthy of the spot in which he was slotted? Wasn't the same said of Steve Bernier after his post-draft season in the Q? While another (Kopitar) scores at a nice rate for a bad SEL team and suddenly he's better than most of the guys taken before him? Wasn't the same said of Jens Karlsson after his nice post-draft year?

It's simply too early to bother with this kind of analysis.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
underscore_boy said:
Tuukka Rask is better than any Canadian goalie prospect that hasn't played in the NHL.

I think that most Habs fans will tell you that honestly as of right there doesen`t seem to be too much separating Rask and Price....But ask which one of the two they would take, i think most would still say Price as he does have more upside considering his play with the puck,and his amazing poise for a kid that is only turning 19 in August. Not saying that Rask doesn`t have any of those, just that we know Price much better obviously...Leafs fans would still take Rask probably and thats normal. It`ll be interesting to see the next World Junior Championships, assuming both goalies make it, and are healthy....

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
monster_bertuzzi said:
Brule is clearly ahead of Ryan at this point.

based on you living in Vancouver and watching him play for the Giants...

seriously the Ducks would not draft Brule over Ryan if given the choice today.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
orcatown said:
I've seen Oshie in several games and at the World Juniors on the tube. He is a high level talent and will score at any level he plays at. Ryan did not have a great year and at the World Juniors was a much lesser player than Oshie. I don't know what point of comparison people are using to say that Ryan is far superior.

Ryan is the more unique player. It's a lot harder to find power forwards with great hands than it is to find 5'10 skill players!!

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
monster_bertuzzi said:
Thanks for your input, Brian Burke.

The one thing that irks me is people claiming they know what their GM would do. Example, a person commenting on a mock draft says "The Thrashers will not pass on Little". You see so much of that around here and it drives me nuts.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Leafs fans will put Rask higher than Price

Habs fans will put Price higher

I'm a Leafs fan and i'll take Rask before Price. He's been way too impressive in a men's league. Thrashers fan can make a case about Pavelech too, u know... ;)

I really like Pavelech and he's not far off from Rask and Price.

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
McDonald19 said:
Ryan is the more unique player. It's a lot harder to find power forwards with great hands than it is to find 5'10 skill players!!
Oshie is both a power forward and a skill player. Have you seen the kid play? He is a big time, and I mean BIG TIME hitter. He skates like a train coming through and just punishes anyone who even tries to think of taking the puck. Granted I haven't seen Bobby Ryan play except for at the world jrs., and IMO Oshie was clearly better then him(at this point in time). Oshie is probably closer to 6'0 now if that makes any difference.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
crosby_87 said:
Oshie is both a power forward and a skill player. Have you seen the kid play? He is a big time, and I mean BIG TIME hitter. He skates like a train coming through and just punishes anyone who even tries to think of taking the puck. Granted I haven't seen Bobby Ryan play except for at the world jrs., and IMO Oshie was clearly better then him(at this point in time). Oshie is probably closer to 6'0 now if that makes any difference.

I second that. ( the stuff you said about Oshie )

but i'd take Ryan over him anyday!! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad