2005 Draft - stock increase/decrease

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
XavierX said:
What about Yandle? QMJHL top defenseman. +41. Its not even close.
I was wondering why Yandle doesent get more talk/attention..hes on pace for over 110 points, seems to be off the peoples radar...consdering how much more people talk about Bourdon..yet Yandles stats far superior...hopefully someone will step up and talk a bit about his game/potential. :handclap:

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Marek Zagrapan: even
Philip Gogulla: even
M.A. Gragnani: up
Chris Butler: even
Nathan Gerbe: even
(Tim Kennedy): even (not technically a Sabres pick)
Adam Dennis: even
Slava Buravchikov: probably up but he was ranked a lot higher than a 6th rounder going into the draft so I'll say even
Matt Generous: even
Andrew Orpik: even

I like the Sabres 2005 draft class but I think it's a bit too early to be doing this.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
For the Canucks:

Luc Bourdon- up

Mason Raymond- up

Alexandre Vincent- even

Matt Butcher- up

Kris Fredheim- even

Mario Bliznak- down

Leafs 67 and Waiting

Jul 15, 2005
USA
Dallas

James Neal is really looking like a solid pick for Dallas. He has a good scoring touch and has became a very physical player with the ability to drop the gloves if he has to.

I also like Luc Bourdon he was awsome at the WJC He has a shot at winning the memorial cup this year.

Steve Downie -Down for sure. I simply think he will do something stupid to hinder his carreer. He just got a five game suspension for gooning a player in Belleville. I just think it is a sign of things to come to expect from Downie.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
KingPurpleDinosaur said:
Roussin is looking like trash. If by even you meaning he has stagnated eversince the draft, then you could make an argument for that, but I think the more likely explanation is that he's trash without crosby. So draft stock down in my book.

Its a shame. We took a chance on him in the 2nd round and ended up with a ECHLer. Guess you never know about these things. Lets see if he can get back to the AHL this year...

Checker*

The fact that TJ Oshie is not "rising" on all of these lists is testament to the ignorance and anti-Blues bias on these boards. Here's a guy that most of you draft and prospect expert, know-it-all-junior GMs didn't even have on your radar and is quickly becoming a stand-out in college hockey and was one of only a few US players at the WJCs who looked worthy of a first round selection. Oh yeah, and his shooting percentage for all of you claiming he "can't score" is 30 freakin percent. If I didn't know better, I'd expect himto be toward the top of the top 50 prsopects list whenit comes out. Of course, he won't be, as the Blues are not allowed to ever have top prospects around here. It isn't because the Blues are having a poor season that there isn't more Blues fan representation here. It's the fact that most Blues fans who posted here previously got fed up with all of the biased elitist bs that happens here.

PS: David Backes deserves to be on the top 50 list as well...I'm not holding my breath

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
KingPurpleDinosaur said:
Roussin is looking like trash. If by even you meaning he has stagnated eversince the draft, then you could make an argument for that, but I think the more likely explanation is that he's trash without crosby. So draft stock down in my book.

Agreed. Roussin is the biggest waste of a pick I'd ever seen for the Kings. A few players I really wanted at that pick were Bertram, Trukhno, and Korhonen... man am I mad at us passing on them.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Checker said:
The fact that TJ Oshie is not "rising" on all of these lists is testament to the ignorance and anti-Blues bias on these boards. Here's a guy that most of you draft and prospect expert, know-it-all-junior GMs didn't even have on your radar and is quickly becoming a stand-out in college hockey and was one of only a few US players at the WJCs who looked worthy of a first round selection. Oh yeah, and his shooting percentage for all of you claiming he "can't score" is 30 freakin percent. If I didn't know better, I'd expect himto be toward the top of the top 50 prsopects list whenit comes out. Of course, he won't be, as the Blues are not allowed to ever have top prospects around here. It isn't because the Blues are having a poor season that there isn't more Blues fan representation here. It's the fact that most Blues fans who posted here previously got fed up with all of the biased elitist bs that happens here.

PS: David Backes deserves to be on the top 50 list as well...I'm not holding my breath
Oh, this again... :nopity:

MightyPleky*

That would be my rankings now :
1- Sidney
2- Jack Johnson
3- Bobby Ryan
4- Gilber Brule
5- Luc Bourdon
6- Benot Pouliot
7- Marc Staal
8- Carey Price

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I'm curious why so many people have O'Marra's stock as dropping. At the draft he was never expected to be an offensive dynamo, and it was always noted that he could drop because of his lower upside. However, he has continued to play his game, he's been named captain of his team, and at the WJC's, he showed a great versatility and willingness to buy into a team philsophy by playing a different role in order to help his team win the gold. He's doing exactly what he should be doing. And while he has always had limited upside potential, he's on a better scoring pace than last year, and continues to outpoint Pouliot (though, in more games played). But his draft stock was originally high because of the intangibles he brings to the ice and that he is more or less a surefire NHLer. I don't think he's done anything to change that.

I understand if you don't think he has risen at all, and if it's based purely on having not as advanced as much as his peers, I guess I can see that too. I'm mostly just curious people's reasoning behind saying he's dropped.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Kafka said:
What about those:

BUF Marc-Andre Gragnani D
FLA Dan Collins F
NJ Patrick Davis F
WSH Patrick McNeill D
TB Stanislav Lascek F
SJ Derek Joslin D
NSH Cal O'Reilly F
NYI Luciano Aquino F
NYR Ryan Russell F

?
As an Isles fan, I don't know about Luciano. No doubt, what he's been doing lately in the OHL is very impressive, scoring at over a 2ppg pace. Part of those numbers are most likely from playing on a line with Wojtek Wolski, and part of it is largely just the maturity advantage gained from playing in the AHL and ECHL some this year, and that this is his overage year. But seeing that no one else on the team has as high of a ppg, it is still somewhat impressive. However, he put up good numbers before the draft also, but there was always the question of how his offensive skills would translate to the professional game. Seeing that he did play some minor league professionally, it didn't work and he was returned to juniors, I don't think he's done anything to shed that knock on him.

He also remains small (5'9") and with questions on his skating (fast straight ahead skater, but poor lateral mobility). For a guy that size, he will need the lateral mobility to beat defensemen one on one at the NHL level and unless it improves, I don't see him making it. I've also heard he has a questionable attitude. Personally, I feel he remains a borderline prospect.

On the other hand, the NYI draft pick who I think has really increased his stock is Nick Tuzzolino. The guy is huge (listed at 6'6", 216lbs) and managed to beat his point totals from last year in half as many games. He is currently at 20th in defensemen scoring in the OHL with 27 points in 37 games. Not bad for a 7th rounder, though his age would probably still leave him outside the first few rounds.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Checker said:

Yep, he sure dominated the WJC's with his 1 point. Not particularly impressive for an undersized scorer. He's playing well in college at the moment, but he also plays for a stacked team. And because of his size, there will be questions on his ability to translate his game into the pros. If he's risen, I doubt it's by much.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Seph said:
Yep, he sure dominated the WJC's with his 1 point. Not particularly impressive for an undersized scorer. He's playing well in college at the moment, but he also plays for a stacked team. And because of his size, there will be questions on his ability to translate his game into the pros. If he's risen, I doubt it's by much.
From the sounds of things,

1. He wasn't playing on the top line; he was usually on the 3rd line and saw occasional shifts on the 2nd line,
2. His lack of points was due less to his ability and more to the inability of his linemates to finish chances he set up,
3. Oshie showed more heart and passion in his play throughout the WJC's than most of the rest of his teammates, and never quit hustling.

I understand the concerns about his game translating to the pros, but I don't see Oshie as being a #1 center in the NHL; I think he's better suited as a #2. But if the kid can play with the intensity and creativity that he's shown so far, I don't think he'll have a problem sticking in the NHL.

BTW - if North Dakota is a "stacked team", someone needs to inform the rest of the Fighting Sioux players. At 17-10-1 (10-8-0 in the conference), they're hardly tearing it up ... and with Oshie being #3 on the team in scoring on such a "stacked team" as a freshman, it just makes him look even better.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Irish Blues said:
From the sounds of things,

1. He wasn't playing on the top line; he was usually on the 3rd line and saw occasional shifts on the 2nd line,
2. His lack of points was due less to his ability and more to the inability of his linemates to finish chances he set up,
3. Oshie showed more heart and passion in his play throughout the WJC's than most of the rest of his teammates, and never quit hustling.

I understand the concerns about his game translating to the pros, but I don't see Oshie as being a #1 center in the NHL; I think he's better suited as a #2. But if the kid can play with the intensity and creativity that he's shown so far, I don't think he'll have a problem sticking in the NHL.

BTW - if North Dakota is a "stacked team", someone needs to inform the rest of the Fighting Sioux players. At 17-10-1 (10-8-0 in the conference), they're hardly tearing it up ... and with Oshie being #3 on the team in scoring on such a "stacked team" as a freshman, it just makes him look even better.
Don't get me wrong, I still think he's a good prospect, and deserved to be taken in the first round. I'm not trying to take anything away from his accomplishments, as they are worth noting. And there's nothing even wrong with only having a point in the WJC, Tukonen only had 2 points at Oshie's age, for example.

And perhaps stacked team wasn't the right words to use, but he's been playing with guys like Zajac and Toews. This is certainly helping his game, as guys like that can open up room for smaller players to operate, especially in the lower levels of hockey. My point is, Oshie has yet to really rid himself of the questionmarks he had at draft day, and likely won't until he at least starts putting up numbers in the AHL. He has continued to show his strengths that made him a first rounder, but I just don't feel he's done enough to say something like "The fact that TJ Oshie is not "rising" on all of these lists is testament to the ignorance and anti-Blues bias on these boards."

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Im sure Bobby Ryan is playing well in the O, however, if i were basing my evaluations on the WJC i would have to say that he drops significantly.
He looked slow, not particularly strong on his skates for a big bruiser foward, and he looked lost at times.
Im sure someone will have an explanation for his poor performance but he sure looked weak and i dont think this can be blamed on the team's general performance.

I was totally underwhelmed by him, and have no idea what the fuss is about.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Seph said:
My point is, Oshie has yet to really rid himself of the questionmarks he had at draft day, and likely won't until he at least starts putting up numbers in the AHL. He has continued to show his strengths that made him a first rounder, but I just don't feel he's done enough to say something like "The fact that TJ Oshie is not "rising" on all of these lists is testament to the ignorance and anti-Blues bias on these boards."
1. I'd ignore the "anti-Blues bias" comment.
2. Which weaknesses has he still not overcome in your opinion, aside from size?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Irish Blues said:
1. I'd ignore the "anti-Blues bias" comment.
2. Which weaknesses has he still not overcome in your opinion, aside from size?
1. Fair enough, I probably should ignore it, but it's one of my particular pet peeves.

2. Well, primarily it is size, and whether or not he has what it takes to overcome it and put up numbers in the pros. There are always guys that score well in college that aren't able to translate that to the NHL. There are of course, also guys like Marty St. Louis and Jason Blake who do. But look at the developmental paths of guys like them, and you get an idea of what I mean. Both of these guys weren't even drafted, and Marty had great numbers in college as a freshman. Jason Blake did also, but he was also a bit older by the time he was playing college hockey. But Jason Blake, even after putting up 69pts in 38 games for UND, was still traded by the team that signed him for a 5th rounder. Obviously a lot of teams are probably kicking themselves for not throwing at least a 9th rounder at these guys, but the point is that this is how teams and scouts tend to view undersized college players.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, or who is the best prospect, or who will have the best career. I'm not a scout, nor do I presume to be. What I am saying is that Oshie's accomplishments, while impressive, have likely not proven enough for him to leapfrog players drafted ahead of him in the eyes of the scouts and GMs that picked ahead of St Louis. For the most part, ahead of him were guys who either play goal/defense, have a higher upside, or are also developing quite nicely. As for the goal/defense question, I think it'd take quite a bit to get a team to go forward when they have a goalie/defenseman they had their hearts set on. The guys that have not shown as much since being drafted, like Hanzal, Skille or Pokulok, were noted as projects with high upsides, and that they haven't developed as quickly is unlikely to be a reason for concern to the teams that drafted them. Then of course, there are a lot of guys that have shown they are at comparable levels of development, so there's no reason for Oshie to leapfrog them, as the teams that drafted them is likely still just as happy with the pick as they were on draft day.

Though, I suppose it depends on how we're framing the original question. If we're looking at it as how most people/teams had the players ranked before the draft, and now Oshie should be ranked higher, then sure I agree, he's moved up. At the time of the draft most thought he was taken too high and now he looks like a solid pick. But I've been looking at it as guys whose draft position would move up/down if the draft were redone today. And for someone who was viewed as being taken too high, it takes a lot for them to move up. Anything short of dominance (which Oshie has not done) is simply not enough to get a team to change it's mind a mere 6months after the draft.

Perhaps that ignores the intention of the thread, but I doubt there'd be much movement in the first round or two, the only significant movers would be guys taken in the later rounds who were less known and have since broken out. I suppose it's similar to Islanders prospect Blake Comeau, who at the draft was thought to be a third liner at best, and was generally viewed as a stretch when the Islanders drafted him early in the second round. Since the draft he's started putting up much better numbers in juniors, and was an alternate captain and the leading scorer for team Canada's gold medal this year, so he looks like a solid pick. But I suspect many teams still question his upside and whether or not he has the skills to be a scorer in the NHL. And if the draft were redone, I doubt he'd sneak into the first round. Similarly, Oshie looks like a solid pick, but I doubt he moves up.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
:clap: Seph - outstanding post, I really appreciate it. Just a fantastic job of answering the question, I can't say much more. The only thing I can really throw back is that Oshie may get more out of his talent because of the intensity he plays with than guys ahead of him who may have more talent but don't make use of it all.

I still think when it's all done, Oshie will be a 2nd-line player. Because of his size, I think he's much better suited there b/c he'll attract less attention and thus his size will be less of an issue. A guy like Doug Weight isn't huge, but Weight has always played his guts out and gotten the most out of his natural talen as a result. Oshie will likely follow the same route IMO.

Who knows? We'll all find out in 3-4 years with some of these guys, looking back 7 months after the draft is *way* too early to assess the winners and losers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad