2005 Draft Rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Top Shelf said:
If you are a Rangers fan, I would think that your chances improve at getting Crosby under this draft scenario. I can't remember off hand what the percentage of getting the #1 from the 5th lottery position under the old system, but I think its less than 10% :dunno:

edit: just realized that NYR select 6th last year which means if they kept the current system then you don't have a shot at Crosby so this is good rumor for NYR fans - bad for us CBJ fans :)

As another posted mentioned, no matter what system they pick there will be some teams that are upset. If two heads could agree on something, then we wouldn't have to worry about this crap :banghead:

I'd rather have it be fair.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
The NHL has already said that a draft will be held as soon as the lockout ends (assuming its June or beyond). Theres an article about it somewhere.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
19bruins19 said:
Personally, I think this is unfair. Each team should have 3.333% chance at the first pick.

Yes, that makes sense. Allow teams like the Devils, TB, etc. (top teams) all have a shot at the first pick.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Puckhead said:
Personally I think they will suspend any draft until they have a CBA in place. The CBA is meant to govern how the game and the draft are run, and should therefore not be held until an agreement is made following some sort of season, however short they see fit to have. Then all teams have a chance at Crosby, and it is fair. Who's to say a middle of the pack team can't have a poor start or have serious injury problems and slips into lottery territory? In a full season it may not have happened but to just hold a weighted ottery where the 20th placed team has as good a chance as the worst, or much better than the 19th team, is ludicrous!
it is being suspended until the cba - thats been said for a while. why do all teams deserve a chance? how many teams would have had a chance in a normal year? how many teams are really getting the chaft here. should a team like detroit get crosby just because of a lockout? that doesnt make any sense at all. how much change would there have been from the bottom 10?

CH Wizard

I wouldn't like to see a combined draft.I mean , I wouldn't like to see the 2005 be mixed with the 2006.

I wouldn't like to see also the 2005 draft be cancelled.It'd confuse a lot of people.There gonna be too much scouting to make.Some prospect stuck will raise and some will go down.

I'd like to see a lottery draft.It'll regive the oppurtunity to the weaker teams to build their franchise even more seriously.That's what We want to see.Since , there's attendance at all in arenas of teams like Carolina , Washington.

I don't know about the UFA though.It'll also confuse a lot of people.There should be some limits for the contracts.I mean , teams like Toronton , Colorado would be crazy enough to give a 8 or 9 million contract to Crosby.

The advantage I see in this is that.The young players would like to see some icetime.So , they will likely sign with a weak team to get more icetime or to have a sure spot on a team.

scout46

Jun 2, 2002
Calgary
19bruins19 said:
Personally, I think this is unfair. Each team should have 3.333% chance at the first pick.

Personally, I think if one of the top teams wants Crosby, they can put together a package of picks, prospects and/or players and trade for him. I disagree with your 30 team equal chance idea.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Actually in a HARD CAP world all the big market teams have to cut players and Salary .. the weaker teams over the past few years are already in good positon with both young talent and Salary Cap Position ..

I say take the 10 bigest teams hit by the cap and give them the lottery choice ..

Think about it ..

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Sparepart said:
I hate this idea. Its not fair at all. How is it fair to only give the bottom-10 teams of "last year" a chance at the #1 overall pick this year? Its not fair at all to the 20 other teams with no shot.

What about teams like Washington? A team which only fell into the bottom-10 last year after years of being in the top-20? Or a team like Calgary who had been in the bottom-10 a few times before having a strong season last year?

How is this fair at all to the 20 other teams? No 04-05 season should mean a completely random 30 team lottery.

As a habs fan I just want "the chance" to get the #1 overall pick in 2005, even as remote as the odds are for the habs to win the lottery, I still want the chance. I'd feel screwed otherwise as a fan. I can also say that I'd be alright (not happy, but I'd accept it) with a consistently strong team like Detroit winning the lottery... Because hey, thats just the luck of the draw.

Its a crap situation anyway you look at it, and someone is going to be upset with the decision in the end. But I'd definitely prefer a 30 team lottery over a 10 team one.

These bottom ten are the only teams that would have a legit team. Why should a playoff team like Montreal with a decent prospect pool get a chance? or Toronto, Detroit, Colorado, etc.. This may not be the best way, but it has to be weighted in some capacity.

Sparepart

Jun 6, 2002
Montreal
Barnaby said:
These bottom ten are the only teams that would have a legit team. Why should a playoff team like Montreal with a decent prospect pool get a chance?

Why should a team like Washington with a deeper pool then Montreal have a better chance at Crosby? Or many other bottom-10 teams with deep prospect pools? This argument makes little sense.

This may not be the best way, but it has to be weighted in some capacity.

This is the problem. Fans of the bottom-10 teams like your idea, while fans of a top-20 team would prefer mine. Everyone is biased and looking out for their own teams.

I am trying to be as fair as possible, and I cannot see how rewarding the bottom-10 teams of 03-04 with a chance at the #1 overall in a non-season of 04-05 is being fair. Its not fair at all really. Nobody knows how those 10 teams would have done in a 04-05 season, so why should they automatically have the top picks in the draft?. A non-weighted 30 team lottery is the best option of the 2.

Last edited:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
This would piss me off to no end. The Kings currently have a crappier team than at least four of those on the list, and would be penalized severly for putting forth and effort last year.

The Kings lost 3 of their top players last season and set the record for man games lost. But did they give up all season? No.

This system would grossly reward some teams that totally mismanged their teams for years; then chose to take a dive last season by jetisoning all of their talent for draft picks, just for a run at a high draft pick(and one of them already got a franchise player)

That's just not right. This is basically the whole reason why the lottery was put into place; so that we didn't see teams tanking just to be rewarded

Safir*

Top Shelf said:
Listening to a weekly radio show in Columbus, Doug MacLean was just on and announced the latest rumor of how the draft will work if the season is lost.

Keep in mind, he said "rumor" so this is in no-way set in stone.

Okay, here's the rumor: There will be a 3 tier lottery of all teams based on last year's standings. The first 10 teams will have a lottery, then the next 10, etc. So in other words, the first 10 teams from last year's standings will have a 1 in 10 chance of landing Crosby.

Here is the list of teams who would have a shot at Crosby if the draft did go down this way:

1. Washington Capitals

2. Pittsburgh Penguins

3. Chicago Blackhawks

4. Carolina Hurricanes

5. Phoenix Coyotes

6. New York Rangers

7. Florida Panthers

8. Columbus Blue Jackets

9. Anaheim Mighty Ducks

10. Atlanta Thrashers

If your interested in listening to the show to hear the rumor, go here and then scroll down to the bottom of the page and select "Between the Pipes".

I would extend that list to all non-playoff teams of the 2003/04 seaon.

11. LA Kings

12. Minnesota Wild

13. Buffalo Sabres

14. Edmonton Oilers.

Last edited by a moderator:

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
The Messenger said:
Actually in a HARD CAP world all the big market teams have to cut players and Salary .. the weaker teams over the past few years are already in good positon with both young talent and Salary Cap Position ..

I say take the 10 bigest teams hit by the cap and give them the lottery choice ..

Think about it ..

I like it.

Hard cap = UFAs not being re-signed. Crappy prospects getting ice time, but hey, the Leafs have a great list so they shouldnt be in trouble.
:)

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Tha ACE said:
I would extend that list to all non-playoff teams of the 2003/04 seaon.

11. LA Kings

12. Minnesota Wild

13. Buffalo Sabres

14. Edmonton Oilers.

15. Nashville Predators

Nashville played Detroit in the first round of the playoffs. :)

Rather Gingerly 1*

Top Shelf said:
Listening to a weekly radio show in Columbus, Doug MacLean was just on and announced the latest rumor of how the draft will work if the season is lost.

Keep in mind, he said "rumor" so this is in no-way set in stone.

Okay, here's the rumor: There will be a 3 tier lottery of all teams based on last year's standings. The first 10 teams will have a lottery, then the next 10, etc. So in other words, the first 10 teams from last year's standings will have a 1 in 10 chance of landing Crosby.

Here is the list of teams who would have a shot at Crosby if the draft did go down this way:

1. Washington Capitals

2. Pittsburgh Penguins

3. Chicago Blackhawks

4. Carolina Hurricanes

5. Phoenix Coyotes

6. New York Rangers

7. Florida Panthers

8. Columbus Blue Jackets

9. Anaheim Mighty Ducks

10. Atlanta Thrashers

If your interested in listening to the show to hear the rumor, go here and then scroll down to the bottom of the page and select "Between the Pipes".

This is really fair. I like it

Rather Gingerly 1*

The Great One said:
I wouldn't like to see a combined draft.I mean , I wouldn't like to see the 2005 be mixed with the 2006.

I wouldn't like to see also the 2005 draft be cancelled.It'd confuse a lot of people.There gonna be too much scouting to make.Some prospect stuck will raise and some will go down.

I'd like to see a lottery draft.It'll regive the oppurtunity to the weaker teams to build their franchise even more seriously.That's what We want to see.Since , there's attendance at all in arenas of teams like Carolina , Washington.

I don't know about the UFA though.It'll also confuse a lot of people.There should be some limits for the contracts.I mean , teams like Toronton , Colorado would be crazy enough to give a 8 or 9 million contract to Crosby.

The advantage I see in this is that.The young players would like to see some icetime.So , they will likely sign with a weak team to get more icetime or to have a sure spot on a team.

That wouldn't be fair to the players like Sidney Crosby. No draft and no season next year for them

Jocus

Dec 23, 2004
I think it should be weighted.

Edmonton has a better team then Florida or Pittsburg, so they should have less chance to win.

However, maybe minimise the difference. I think normally, the last place has 50% chance of winning and is garanteed of finishing no less then one spot lower then they finished.

Maybe start off with 20% chances of winning and slowly lowering it untill you get to Tampa Bay. That way, everyone has a chance, but the worse teams have a slightly better chance.

Also, why not use the average for the past 4 or 5 years and weigh the past year a bit more then the first year. That way, it will take into account teams that dumped salary this year and it'll give you a better picture of each team.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
No system will be perfect, but this is the best one I've heard so far (I also like the idea of averaging out the places over the last four years for a little more historical perspective -- maybe these two ideas can be combined).
I feel bad for teams like the Kings and Wild who are falling into the nether region between the "bad" teams and playoff teams, but I have no pitty at all for teams like Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Detroit, Colorado, etc., who are all practically perenial playoff teams. Shut up and appreciate the fact that you already have good, competitive teams.

I've said this before and I'll say it again -- as a Columbus fan, I'd gladly trade a shot a Crosby for the chance to be in the playoffs almost every year.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
Does it seem fair to anybody that the Thrashers (10th) will have no chance to move down but do have a chance to move up 9 places, while the Kings (11th) will have no chance to move up but will have a chance to move down 9 places? When there was only 3 points difference between the Thrashers and Kings?

Come on. The idea is clearly Pejorative Slured.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Teams I would love to see get Crosby:

1. Atlanta
2. Chicago
3. Florida

And I hope Detroit "wins" the lottery in the last 10 group. They need more good prospects.

trickster

Maple Leaf Lane Forever
Mar 6, 2002
Leaf Nation
the crappy teams might be the cup contenders!

Broadway Crosby said:
That's BS. The Stanley Cup winners should improve? The cr@ppy teams need to get better, and they do that by getting good young players. I like the idea Top Shelf said the best, unless they come up with an idea where they just give it to the Rangers. :innocent: :D

Unfortunately, the bad teams in the NHL from recent years are the ones that are going to come out of this lockout in better shape than the contenders. In most cases, the contenders have been contenders for a few seasons and have had weaker draft choices because of it. Additionally, these teams often use the UFA market more than the bottom dwellers. In the new NHL, these contenders will be a year older (without as many top draft choices ready to step in) and will have the ability to stock the team with expensive veterans taken away.

Take the Leafs for example. With many contracts potentially wiped out, the Leafs could find themselves to be inferior to a team like the Thrashers when hockey is played next...

Using the standings from last season just doesnt sit well... It is no longer a reflection of a team's current quality...

What I said about contenders isnt true in all cases, but in a couple scenarios I think it applies.

Just my thoughts... NHL will have to do something to appease everyone!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->