2005 Draft Rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.

X0ssbar

Listening to a weekly radio show in Columbus, Doug MacLean was just on and announced the latest rumor of how the draft will work if the season is lost.

Keep in mind, he said "rumor" so this is in no-way set in stone.

Okay, here's the rumor: There will be a 3 tier lottery of all teams based on last year's standings. The first 10 teams will have a lottery, then the next 10, etc. So in other words, the first 10 teams from last year's standings will have a 1 in 10 chance of landing Crosby.

Here is the list of teams who would have a shot at Crosby if the draft did go down this way:

1. Washington Capitals

2. Pittsburgh Penguins

3. Chicago Blackhawks

4. Carolina Hurricanes

5. Phoenix Coyotes

6. New York Rangers

7. Florida Panthers

8. Columbus Blue Jackets

9. Anaheim Mighty Ducks

10. Atlanta Thrashers

If your interested in listening to the show to hear the rumor, go here and then scroll down to the bottom of the page and select "Between the Pipes".

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I like this better then some of the other systems used. Some of the bottom teams get screwed a bit, and some higher teams like Atlanta, Florida, and Phoenix get a shot they otherwise wouldn't have but oh well. 7 of those teams could be legit lottery teams so I think it's fair.

Please no Capital fans claim your getting screwed. After winning AO I think you could settle for not getting Crosby.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
If this happens, I would absolutely love to see Atlanta win it, for 2 reasons.

1. Kovalchuk-Crosby-Heatley

2. Crosby going to a so-called "non hockey market"(whether its accurate or not) like Atlanta would be great for hockey in the South, imo. Plus Im sure we'd get a lot of pissed off canadians out of it ;) .

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Chaos said:
2. Crosby going to a so-called "non hockey market"(whether its accurate or not) like Atlanta would be great for hockey in the South, imo. Plus Im sure we'd get a lot of pissed off canadians out of it ;) .

So Crosby will help Atlanta but Lehtonen,Heatly, and Kovalchuk wont? Crosby does nothing there. Atlanta is one of the best run franchises (resources wise/everyhting considered).

I like the system though.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Barnaby said:
I like this better then some of the other systems used. Some of the bottom teams get screwed a bit, and some higher teams like Atlanta, Florida, and Phoenix get a shot they otherwise wouldn't have but oh well. 7 of those teams could be legit lottery teams so I think it's fair.

Please no Capital fans claim your getting screwed. After winning AO I think you could settle for not getting Crosby.

The Coyotes had a shot at Ovechkin, too (although a small one) so how can you say they "otherwise wouldn't have?"

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
PhoPhan said:
The Coyotes had a shot at Ovechkin, too (although a small one) so how can you say they "otherwise wouldn't have?"

They improved very much and probably wouldnt have been in the bottom 5 if a season was played. Hence they 'otheriwise wouldnt have?" [a shot at Sidney].

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Top Shelf: Would each team have a 10% chance of getting Crosby, or will it be split up, like the lottery is when their is a season?

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bergeron47 said:
Wow, how sick would that be if Atlanta got him.

Kovalchuk-Crosby-Heatley
Coburn-Valabik
Lehtonen

Valabik, of the looks of it, ain't so hot.

He doesn't belong on that list.

...unless you are just naming Atlanta's 1st rounders, in which case you forgot Stefan...

X0ssbar

Broadway Crosby said:
Top Shelf: Would each team have a 10% chance of getting Crosby, or will it be split up, like the lottery is when their is a season?

From the way I understood MacLean on the radio, the bottom 10 teams will each have an equal shot. So yes, each team will have a 10% chance.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
NYRangers said:
They improved very much and probably wouldnt have been in the bottom 5 if a season was played. Hence they 'otheriwise wouldnt have?" [a shot at Sidney].

Fair enough, I misunderstood.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Top Shelf said:
From the way I understood MacLean on the radio, the bottom 10 teams will each have an equal shot. So yes, each team will have a 10% chance.

I didnt realize that.

I'd rather it be weighted.

Sparepart

Jun 6, 2002
Montreal
I hate this idea. Its not fair at all. How is it fair to only give the bottom-10 teams of "last year" a chance at the #1 overall pick this year? Its not fair at all to the 20 other teams with no shot.

What about teams like Washington? A team which only fell into the bottom-10 last year after years of being in the top-20? Or a team like Calgary who had been in the bottom-10 a few times before having a strong season last year?

How is this fair at all to the 20 other teams? No 04-05 season should mean a completely random 30 team lottery.

As a habs fan I just want "the chance" to get the #1 overall pick in 2005, even as remote as the odds are for the habs to win the lottery, I still want the chance. I'd feel screwed otherwise as a fan. I can also say that I'd be alright (not happy, but I'd accept it) with a consistently strong team like Detroit winning the lottery... Because hey, thats just the luck of the draw.

Its a crap situation anyway you look at it, and someone is going to be upset with the decision in the end. But I'd definitely prefer a 30 team lottery over a 10 team one.

X0ssbar

NYRangers said:
I didnt realize that.

If you are a Rangers fan, I would think that your chances improve at getting Crosby under this draft scenario. I can't remember off hand what the percentage of getting the #1 from the 5th lottery position under the old system, but I think its less than 10% :dunno:

edit: just realized that NYR select 6th last year which means if they kept the current system then you don't have a shot at Crosby so this is good rumor for NYR fans - bad for us CBJ fans :)

As another posted mentioned, no matter what system they pick there will be some teams that are upset. If two heads could agree on something, then we wouldn't have to worry about this crap :banghead:

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
NYRangers said:
I didnt realize that.

That would mean that the Rangers would have the 6th worst chance of getting Crosby. If Top Shelf heard correctly, then we would each have an equal chance, which I like better, since no team would have a better chance at him. If it was weighted, five teams would have a better shot at him.

And thanks Top Shelf for posting this. It is an interesting rumor.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Top Shelf said:
If you are a Rangers fan, I would think that your chances improve at getting Crosby under this draft scenario. I can't remember off hand what the percentage of getting the #1 from the 5th lottery position under the old system, but I think its less than 10% :dunno:
You beat me to it. :p: I just said someting like that.

Vic Rattlehead*

Personally, I think this is unfair. Each team should have 3.333% chance at the first pick.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Chaos said:
If this happens, I would absolutely love to see Atlanta win it, for 2 reasons.

1. Kovalchuk-Crosby-Heatley

I don't see why Canadians would be pissed off, there is a very slim chance any of Canadian teams would be in a position to land him anyway. Personally if my team doesn't get him, I really don't care which team does! Sure there are teams that I would rather he not go to, but Atlanta is not one of them. Could you imagine the damage of line of Heatley, Kovalchuk, and Crosby would do...WOW!

I think that AO and Crosby are very special players and they are good for the game and the team that drafts them. The unfortunate part is, I don't feel some southern markets are worthy of having such great young star, with the potential to be legends, because their greatness will be wasted on fans who for the most part don't care, or appreciate, and take for granted what they are seeing. Actually, I would be jealous!

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
19bruins19 said:
Personally, I think this is unfair. Each team should have 3.333% chance at the first pick.
That's BS. The Stanley Cup winners should improve? The cr@ppy teams need to get better, and they do that by getting good young players. I like the idea Top Shelf said the best, unless they come up with an idea where they just give it to the Rangers. :innocent: :D

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I just listened to that radio show... and although they do talk about how the draft is to go... they say (Maclean says) nothing about when it is to be held.

So although the format is being discussed by NHL head honchos, nothing indicates that it will be held in June. I get the feeling that it will be organized only after the CBA is resolved and that could be in one year or two years or three years... who knows. So until then, who cares what the order may be.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Personally I think they will suspend any draft until they have a CBA in place. The CBA is meant to govern how the game and the draft are run, and should therefore not be held until an agreement is made following some sort of season, however short they see fit to have. Then all teams have a chance at Crosby, and it is fair. Who's to say a middle of the pack team can't have a poor start or have serious injury problems and slips into lottery territory? In a full season it may not have happened but to just hold a weighted ottery where the 20th placed team has as good a chance as the worst, or much better than the 19th team, is ludicrous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad