2005 draft QMJHL Top 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
To go in tandem with the WHL list, here are the top 10 Q players eligible for this year's draft, and for once I think we'll dominate this draft.

1.C Sidney Crosby 5'10 193 lbs Rimouski 08-07-87
The uncontested #1, no argument necessary.
Draft pos: Ha!
Molded after: I've never seen anyone like him before.

2.C Marek Zagrapan 6'1 185 lbs 12-06-86
Flashy player, will wow a crowd any given night...Sick skills, a strong passion for the game, good size, speed, stickhandling, vision, passing skills, a desire to play defense (I said a desire), what more could you want? (He's a bit soft though but unafraid of traffic)
Draft pos.: 6-13
Molded After: A. Mogilny. All-star potential.

3.RW Guillaume Latendresse 6'2 223 lbs 05-24-87
Strong player with good vision, good passing skills and above average stickhandling...he can control the play down low very well and plays a physical game...akin to Bertuzzi...is recovering well after a shoulder injury last season
Draft pos.: 5-15
Molded after: A middle man's Joe Thornton, but still very good, has all-star potential.

4.Alex Bourret 5'10 214 lbs 10-05-86
#1 selection from the Q in 2002, Bourret has improved by leaps and bounds every year since his rookie campaign...feisty player with lots of speed and grit...can stickhandle well and has a HARD shot and can HIT even harder...plays a two way game and has some elite offensive skills, if he were two inches taller, he'd be a top 5 selection in the draft for sure.
Draft pos: 8-20
Molded after: Claude Lemieux but with much more offensive upside. Can be an effective first line center for a long time and a possible all-star.

5.G JP Levasseur 6'1 190 lbs 01-15-87
Quick and agile goalie despite size...very fast lateral mouvements...technically superior to most of his peers...very calm under pressure...clutch goalie as shown in the bronze medal game in the U-17 last december 2003...started poorly this year but is picking up the slack and playing rather well now.
Draft pos.: 15-25
Molded after: Giguere..#1 goalie, top 5 in NHL if all goes well

6.D Luc Bourdon 6'2 205 lbs 02-16-87
Big mobile defender...gets better every game and is very physical around the net...Can make nice plays in the offensive zone, and has some nice offensive flashes...Very good acceleration and excellent first pass...Steady in his zone, low risk player
Draft pos: 18-30
Steady top 2 dman, 30+ pts

7.LW Slava Trukhno 6'1 196 lbs 02-22-87
Smooth transition to the Q, adapting very well to the smaller ice surface...fast and strong on the puck...I don't know enough about him...
Draft pos: 25-40
solid second line winger with first line potential

8.D JP Paquet 6'2 200 lbs 01-07-87
Purported to have a strong offensive game, 0 goals in two years in the Q... solid in his zone, good skater and crisp passer...Doesn't panic and can be very special on any given night.
Draft pos: 20-40
Top 4 dman and can be an all-star if he can develop that scoring touch

9.D Oscars Bartulis 6'1 180 lbs 01-21-87
Didn't catch my attention though I heard he was very good.

10.LW Mathieu Aubin 6'2 180 lbs 09-18-86
Late '86 bday...Fast smooth skater...great puckhandler, shows nice flashes...Too soft and can't play defense...great passer, good set up man, good read of the play...injury has slowed him down.
Draft pos: 35-60
Second line player

QMJHLguru

Dec 11, 2004
Halifax
Great seeing others having high hopes with Oskars Bartulis, he's one of my big sleepers and would be surprized if he's not selected by the end of the 2nd round.
He's has huge upside, and is steadly improving every game and is coming off a huge performence at the U20's for Latvia which has likely gained him many more looks from scouts.

Laurentides

Jan 22, 2003
Laval
Visit site
i think that Bourdon should the logic number 2 on the liste. He is so complete its incredible. He never makes mistakes, excellent in his own zone by being very physical and nasty around the net. He can fight with everybody in the league. He is excellent on pp with his bullet shot. I have seen him play live 10-12 times this year and im still amazed every time i watch him play.He is now 6.3 210. By the way, at the last Val d'Or game, he was being scouted by André Savard who was there to see him.

I think he should be considered as the safest prospect after Crosby for the Q. I have seen all the other top 10 players of the list except Bourret ( ive just seen him on the Q vs Russian games ) so im well awared of all those prospects.

One question i have is why do everyone still has Levasseur in their top 10? Isnt he the most overated goalie in the Q (maybe after Jonathan Bernier) ?

p.s. I remember telling Lalalaprise last year that Mikael Dupont was better than Bernier even if he was drafted in 4th round....since then he has stolen the no1 goalie spot of Lacasse and was named defensive player of the month last month... :yo:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Laurentides said:
i think that Bourdon should the logic number 2 on the liste. He is so complete its incredible. He never makes mistakes, excellent in his own zone by being very physical and nasty around the net. He can fight with everybody in the league. He is excellent on pp with his bullet shot. I have seen him play live 10-12 times this year and im still amazed every time i watch him play.He is now 6.3 210. By the way, at the last Val d'Or game, he was being scouted by André Savard who was there to see him.

I think he should be considered as the safest prospect after Crosby for the Q. I have seen all the other top 10 players of the list except Bourret ( ive just seen him on the Q vs Russian games ) so im well awared of all those prospects.

One question i have is why do everyone still has Levasseur in their top 10? Isnt he the most overated goalie in the Q (maybe after Jonathan Bernier) ?

p.s. I remember telling Lalalaprise last year that Mikael Dupont was better than Bernier even if he was drafted in 4th round....since then he has stolen the no1 goalie spot of Lacasse and was named defensive player of the month last month... :yo:

I agree with you about Bourdon, i have him ranked #2 on my top 10. Definatly a safe player.

I dont think Lavasseur is overrated, he is so good technically it is down right scary. That being said i dont think he will go top 10 in the entire draft.

I remember you telling me about Dupont, he is a great goalie too. Late bday so he isnt eligible until 2006.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Laurentides said:

Bourdon at #2 seems a bit steep (heck, it's effin' vertical!) when there is just so much top heavy talent involved, though I certainly don't deny his talent. He is a very safe prospect granted, but I just don't see him reaching the heights of Zagrapan or Bourret if they develop as expected. But I haven't seen him since early November so I don't how he's been playing since then.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Other Notables for the '05 draft:

D Sébastien Bisaillon 6'0 185 lbs
Offensive Defenseman...Good pp quarterback...A smallish defender...Solid skater...plays with Bourdon
Projection: Late 2nd-4th round

C Francis Charland 6'1 180 lbs
Gifted playmaker...needs to fill frame...poor start to the year
Projection: 3rd-5th round

LW Tyler Hawes 6'3 210 lbs
Big player with offensive talent...needs to find consistency...needs to use size
Projection: 4th-7th round

C Marc-Andre Coté 6'0 190 lbs
Playmaking center...can win faceoffs...can play in his end..him and Roy are carrying a crappy Bathurst team
Projection: 3rd-6th round

LW Mathieu Roy 6'0 196 lbs
Solid scoring touch...finds the back of the net consistently...leader of a poor Titans club
Projection: 2nd round-4th round

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Leachmeister2000 said:
2.C Marek Zagrapan 6'1 185 lbs 12-06-86
Flashy player, will wow a crowd any given night...Sick skills, a strong passion for the game, good size, speed, stickhandling, vision, passing skills, a desire to play defense (I said a desire), what more could you want? (He's a bit soft though but unafraid of traffic)
Draft pos.: 6-13
Molded After: A. Mogilny. All-star potential.

7.LW Slava Trukhno 6'1 196 lbs 02-22-87
Smooth transition to the Q, adapting very well to the smaller ice surface...fast and strong on the puck...I don't know enough about him...
Draft pos: 25-40
solid second line winger with first line potential

9.D Oscars Bartulis 6'1 180 lbs 01-21-87
Didn't catch my attention though I heard he was very good.

Not a knock of any of these players, but most european's who cross the pond and play in the Q dont seem to do very well in the pro's.

The only two impact players i could find were Nagy and Kalinin(98 and up from my records). Hemsky could be an impact player but he hasn't impacted much as of now, same for Fischer.

The WHL and OHL have somewhat of the same problem, although they have better track records. Another poster brought this up one time(can't remember who, sorry) so i've been checking it out lately.

One of the possible reasons could be that the european development systems plays them in age groups that are above that of the CHL. Also, the larger european ice allows these players to better hone the skills that europeans generally have, like good skating and puckhandling. Just a theory i guess, but the stats do support it.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
pavel datsyuk said:
Not a knock of any of these players, but most european's who cross the pond and play in the Q dont seem to do very well in the pro's.

The only two impact players i could find were Nagy and Kalinin(98 and up from my records). Hemsky could be an impact player but he hasn't impacted much as of now, same for Fischer.

The WHL and OHL have somewhat of the same problem, although they have better track records. Another poster brought this up one time(can't remember who, sorry) so i've been checking it out lately.

One of the possible reasons could be that the european development systems plays them in age groups that are above that of the CHL. Also, the larger european ice allows these players to better hone the skills that europeans generally have, like good skating and puckhandling. Just a theory i guess, but the stats do support it.

What does that have to do with those 3 players? Dont pre-judge just because some other Euro's were busts.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
What does that have to do with those 3 players? Dont pre-judge just because some other Euro's were busts.

i'm not pre-judging anyone, but thank you.

"Not a knock of any of these players, but most european's who cross the pond and play in the Q dont seem to do very well in the pro's."

I'm not saying these players were busts, but i thought i could maybe get some others insight on why that happens with euro's.

but thanks for the contribution.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
pavel datsyuk said:
i'm not pre-judging anyone, but thank you.

"Not a knock of any of these players, but most european's who cross the pond and play in the Q dont seem to do very well in the pro's."

I'm not saying these players were busts, but i thought i could maybe get some others insight on why that happens with euro's.

but thanks for the contribution.

Euro's are often times overhyped by fans because every import will be an impact players.

But those guys above are the real deal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad