2005 Draft Eligible OHL Forwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB2004

Nov 29, 2004
OHL Forwards
Anyone want to give a quick scouting report on any of the following? Styles of play, comparisons to similarly talented players from last year’s draft, projected round in which they’ll be drafted – any info would be appreciated:

Bobby Ryan
Chris Lawrence
Dan Collins
Ryan O’Marra
James Neal
Patrick Davis
Michael Blunden
Cody Bass
Dan Ryder
Evan Brophey
Matt D’Agostini
Mark Versteeg-Lytwyn
Tony Rizzi
Tom Mannino
Radek Smolenak
Steve Downie

X-SHARKIE

TCB2004 said:
OHL Forwards
Anyone want to give a quick scouting report on any of the following? Styles of play, comparisons to similarly talented players from last year’s draft, projected round in which they’ll be drafted – any info would be appreciated:

Bobby Ryan
Chris Lawrence
Dan Collins
Ryan O’Marra
James Neal
Patrick Davis
Michael Blunden
Cody Bass
Dan Ryder
Evan Brophey
Matt D’Agostini
Mark Versteeg-Lytwyn
Tony Rizzi
Tom Mannino
Radek Smolenak
Steve Downie

I've seen a few.

Radek Smolenak: Works hard and can score with the best of them, but skating is an issue, still could go 2nd round ....likely 3rd round.

Michael Blunden is arguably the most underated player in the OHL far as 2005 goes IMO. He's huge, agressive and mean, loves to hit and dominates physically, and can score with some pretty good skill.

O'Marra has arguably the best shot in the draft, I love the package he brings. Does everything well.

Alot of people like Daniel Ryder but i'm not sold on him, he lacks size and he's not quick enough.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
I've seen Blunden, I liked him but he won't be a offensive player in the NHL. Will go 2nd round and his upside is a physical 3rd liner IMO.

Bobby Ryan seems to be the best of the bunch... his stats are amazing. :eek:

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
TCB2004 said:
OHL Forwards

Bobby Ryan
Chris Lawrence
Dan Collins
Ryan O’Marra
James Neal
Patrick Davis
Michael Blunden
Cody Bass
Dan Ryder
Evan Brophey
Matt D’Agostini
Mark Versteeg-Lytwyn
Tony Rizzi
Tom Mannino
Radek Smolenak
Steve Downie

I've seen most of these guys play but only once or twice, I'll give a report on the guys I remember well only.

Bobby Ryan should be the top OHL pick, he's big, strong, has a wicked shot and can score. Looks like a top 8 pick in the draft at this point.

Chris Lawrence is very tall and lanky that is a good playmaker. He lacks good finishing skills and probably won't go in the first round IMO. I'm thinking somewhere in the third round, I haven't seen him play too too often though.

I haven't seen O' Marra play more than once or twice but I remember him being good defensively and as mentioned before, he has a good shot. A definite first rounder IMO.

Patrick Davis is a fast skater, he's a pretty big guy but has had injury problems in the past. I'm thinking late first round, early second round.

Michael Blunden is a very underrated player. Even though I've only seen him twice I have been very impressed. He's huge, hits, scores goals, and has improved his skating considerably. I'd say somewhere in the late first round.

Cody Bass can hit, he can skate and has really improved his play this year. His main drawback is his size, which is why he'll probably fall to the second round.

Daniel Ryder is a pretty good all around player but doesn't really stand out. He's small but seems to have good instincts and can put points on the board. Somewhere in the early third round I'd say.

Mark Versteeg-Lytwyn is a solid forward. He is small, but plays bigger than his size. He can fight, and has appeared on the scoresheet occasionally this season as well. Until he can score consistently, he won't go on the first day of the draft IMO.

Tony Rizzi has really underachieved after being picked 3rd overall in the bantam draft. He's lanky and seems to have good offensive tools. If he can put it all together, he could be a good NHL player. He will be hardpressed to go on the first day of the draft, depends on his second half of the OHL season.

Steve Downie is small in size, but plays bigger than he looks. He gets under peoples skin and can also put the puck in the net and fight. He reminds me of another former Spitfire, Steve Ott. Downie should go on the first day of the draft.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Bobby Ryan is the top pick from the OHL this year in my opinion. He's very big and uses his size well when he has the puck to avoid hits and is very strong on the puck. He has unbelieveble hands, with some sick stickhandling moves, a hard wristshot, and amazing vision and passing skills. Is not overly aggressive with his size and his defensive game is improving enough to play regularly on the PK for Owen Sound. He reads the play very well and has great hand eye co-ordination resulting in a lot of cause turnovers. Dominates games.

Dizzy

May 24, 2003
Windsor, ON
Visit site
Tom Mannino's a guy with a lot of skill who just can't finish. He can do some pretty amazing moves and then at the end of it all can't score. I think he would go on the second day of the draft, maybe the first day if some team decides to take a chance on him.

TCB2004

Nov 29, 2004
Thanks for all the responses. I was especially looking for info on the guys who hjaven't gotten a lot of attention. BTW - I left Pouliot off the list because there's plenty of info on him out there.

flip588

Mar 22, 2004
I'd have to guess Bobby Ryan will be the first OHL player chosen at the '05 draft.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
flip588 said:
I'd have to guess Bobby Ryan will be the first OHL player chosen at the '05 draft.

Chances are that will happen, Pouliot will be close but hasn't shown enough consistency.

tuckerdomi

Dec 4, 2004
Ontario
[
Alot of people like Daniel Ryder but i'm not sold on him, he lacks size and he's not quick enough.[/QUOTE]

I have seen Ryder play about 6 times trhis year, this kid is good, cant see him beign a first rounder, im thinkin second round(early) got great hands. He's still growing, dont let that scare you too much, if he doesnt look at st.loius :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad