2005 draft depth; good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

#44_delivers

Dec 21, 2003
edmonton
now taking crosby out of the equation how good is this years draft???
any real solid picks ?
how good is this years prospects as compared with years before ?
anyone have any ideas on a sleeper who's risky but could be huge ?
and overall depth how good is it really ?

thanks people ive been clueless for a year now

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Leachmeister2000 said:
very good depth.
Very strong draft, excellent first round.

I really like the depth beyond the 1st round as well. IMO there could be some excellent prospects in the 3rd and even 4th round. Lot's of size in this years draft as well, some teams may luck out on some big defensemen who could become stud blue-liners 3-4 years from now. In the 1st round I particuarly like the Power Forward depth.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
It has grown on me. The quality of the 1st round seems to have blossomed beyond my initial expectations... whether that's legit, or just the onset of draft fever as it approaches, I don't know. But where I was sort of thinking it would be a bit of a dud draft on potential star quality through the second half of the 1st round (especially with weak years from Russia and Scandinavia), but very solid for depth through the 2nd and 3rd rounds, I'm now starting to come around a bit and think it could challenge to be a bit above average in the top-round talent too. :dunno: Draft fever? :dunno:

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
slats432 said:
I really like the depth of the forwards and goalies. Defensemen not so much, but overall a very nice draft.
I think that Johnson and Jakub Kindl (Yes, Jakub Kindl, I really like him, and think that he'll be a top pairing defenseman in the NHL) are the only elite defensive prospect in the draft, with Staal being a notch below the both of them, and then guys lake Parent and Bourdon a notch or two below Staal. But, IMO, the defenseman have nearly no depth, but of course you'll find a few gems later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
slats432 said:
I really like the depth of the forwards and goalies. Defensemen not so much, but overall a very nice draft.

I think you're underrating defensemen of this year, there's quite a lot to choose from. Its kind of what flavour do you want.

You got your stud Jack Johnson.
Steady and bloodlined Marc Staal.
Two way, hard hitter and offensive abilitous Luc Bourdon,
reliable mainstay Ryan Parent,
WILDCARD Jakub Kindl and Brendan Mikkelson,
then there's two way but injured so not much to gauge on Matt Lashoff,
physical and rough stuff Risto Korhonen,
as well as hard hitter with physical edge in Andrei Zubarev.
All around from the Dub Scott Jackson.
You got HS gifted offensively Brian Lee, Matt Niskanen, and Keith Yandle.
Then there's MONSTERS Joe Finley, Vlad Mihalik, and Sasha Pokulok.
Heart and soul, logging tons of icetime MA Gragnani.
Steady sleeper Adam McQuaid.
Riser but possible opt outer Michael Sauer
then Euro whiz's like Buravchikov and Hjalmarsson.

I like it and see those guys atleast going in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd alone with some that I didnt mention sneaking in too like Chorney/Macias/Fraser.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Two years' worth of prospects compressed into a mere seven rounds. It's got to be the highest quality draft in ages.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Balej's Dance said:
Riser but possible opt outer Michael Sauer

Good list, but just a reminder that there is no more opt in/out procedure. Everyone's eligible, whether they like it or not.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Sam I Am said:
Two years' worth of prospects compressed into a mere seven rounds. It's got to be the highest quality draft in ages.
No, it's only one year's worth of players, but it is pretty deep, I'd say.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Seachd said:
Good list, but just a reminder that there is no more opt in/out procedure. Everyone's eligible, whether they like it or not.

Get out! So guys like Sauer and Gawlik can't say whether they wanna go this year or next year? And teams are able to select them regardless? Sorry if this is old news, I haven't heard it lol.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Of course, we really won't be able to give a legitimate guage on the draft for another five years. Looking at things right now, I'd say it's better than the dog's breakfast that was the 2004 draft (which gave us Ovechkin, Malkin, Barker and Olesz, and not much else for top-end talent). Crosby's in a class by himself, but I think Brule has the potential to be a franchise player as well. Johnson is the other player who I think has all-star potential. After that, I'd say there are eight to 10 players who could be front-line forwards, and then a glut of players with second line/No. 2 or 3 defenceman/No. 1 goalie potential. It's a very good draft, not likely as good as 2003 or 1998, but I would say better than 2001 and 2002, which are shaping up as having some high-end talent, but not a lot of depth.

braino

Sep 14, 2002
Visit site
Sleepers for you

Overall, the first round won't hold many surprises as the top 30 players are going to go in the first round and no surprises there. Some sleepers though for you when it comes to the 2nd and 3rd rounders that may be gem's....

1.) T.J Hensick nhl moving to his style of game
2.) Paul Stastny super slick, super instincts, Avs will draft him early rounds
3.) Alexandre Vincent (Price, Rask) get all the hyp but he's just as good at this stage and will be drafted later rounds.
4.) Matt Lashoff , solid player all around
5.) Lastly if you are looking for a sleeper, may as well head to a great or nothing guy and the name I give you is Chris VandeVelde.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad