2005 Draft: Crosby factor on CBA negotiations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Is the fact that this is Crosby's draft (more so than other drafts where Nash/Jbo, Kovalchuk, Dipiero, Ovechkin) year make it even more important to the NHL to get a deal done before the end of May? Or would there be the same amount of pressure on the NHL to get a deal done? How much influence will the Crosby factor be on the NHL?

Last edited:

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
trahans99 said:
Is the fact that this is Crosby's draft (more so than other drafts where Nash/Jbo, Kovalchuk, Dipiero, Ovechkin) year make it even more important to the NHL to get a deal done before the end of May? Or would there be the same amount of pressure on the NHL to get a deal done? How much influence will the Crosby factor be on the NHL?
Honestly, I don't see it as much of a factor as him alone, more than it is the collection of 260 some odd prospects going to NHL teams.

Crosby might be 'the messiah' to the NHL, but they're nuts to bank on him as there future

CMUMike

Feb 13, 2005
futurcorerock said:
Honestly, I don't see it as much of a factor as him alone, more than it is the collection of 260 some odd prospects going to NHL teams.

Crosby might be 'the messiah' to the NHL, but they're nuts to bank on him as there future
I agree. The league wants to hold the draft for continuity sake and to avoid any headaches that might occur if they don't have it, but on an individual basis Crosby has nothing to do with the CBA negotiations.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
The presence of Crosby might come into effect for the replacement players' cause. If he chooses to play in the NHL as a replacement player, the PA is boned - knowing this, they might concede a few more points.

YellHockey*

I think the NHL is peddling this story to keep fans' season ticket money. They're trying to come up with something that will give fans hope that there will be a CBA in place for the start of next season. It's not going to happen. If the fans knew there was no hope to see the real NHL for almost another calendar year at the earliest, how many would buy season tickets or even let the club keep their money?

The NHL has planned to go with scabs in 2005 from the beginning. Otherwise, why haven't they actually brought forward a complete proposal?

Now you've got owners saying how hockey will happen, one way or another in the fall. Since the NHL hasn't proposed anything that would make the PA want to come to an agreement, its doubtful that any agreement will happen before Jan 2006.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I think the players have seen that the owners are willing to go through with replacement players and screw the PA..

I also think the Owners are starting to see they need the players, moreso that they need the marketing revenue for next year and to get the draft situtation squared away.

That said, I actually think the chance of a deal being done in the next month(give or take) are higher than at any other point over the last year. Both sides got a nice bucket of cold water dumped over their head over the last week or two and maybe, just maybe will approach this from a better standpoint.

All I know is that the NHL and NHLPA should put a clause in the new CBA saying that the two sides are requried to meet two days a week for a minimum of 4 hours starting a year before the new CBA expires(The Comish and NHLPA Leader, whoever they may be). Might just help avoid this problem if they are legally bound to be in the same room for 8 hours a week, or at least it would give them more time to kill each other?

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
stan_the_fan said:
They also should put a clause in the new CBA that the league and the PA cannot accumulate a strike/lockout fund.

pretty much impossible to enforce. can you really stop them from putting money in a savings account and not using it? that's all the "lockout fund" really is/was. they just wouldn't say so publicly, etc....

not a bad idea in theory, just wouldn't work in practicality.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
trahans99 said:

No.

SedinFan*

kmad said:
The presence of Crosby might come into effect for the replacement players' cause. If he chooses to play in the NHL as a replacement player, the PA is boned - knowing this, they might concede a few more points.

Hasn't Crosby come out and stated that he won't be apart of a league that isn't the 'best'. He's against playing with replacement players according to himself, and to his agent.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
If the draft I was suspended, I would dearly love to see this year's draft eligible players pushed back into next year's draft with there being a double cohort of junior players. It would produce one of the best drafts ever and would be one to remember. Every team/fan would come out of that draft feeling pretty good about themselves...as they should be rewarded for having to endure a lockout.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Zack Attack said:
Hasn't Crosby come out and stated that he won't be apart of a league that isn't the 'best'. He's against playing with replacement players according to himself, and to his agent.

Yes, in fact he did say this. It is almost as if he already joined the union.

And Reebok didn't just sign him to an endorsement deal to be a replacement player.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Drury_Sakic said:
All I know is that the NHL and NHLPA should put a clause in the new CBA saying that the two sides are requried to meet two days a week for a minimum of 4 hours starting a year before the new CBA expires(The Comish and NHLPA Leader, whoever they may be). Might just help avoid this problem if they are legally bound to be in the same room for 8 hours a week, or at least it would give them more time to kill each other?

Bill Watters (ex Leafs asst gm, ex agent, media personality, etc.) was suggesting something similiar. I think it was a travesty that they went more than two months last fall without talking. The only way they can come to an agreement is to actually talk to each other and negotiate. It's a sad commentary on both sides but I also would like to see mandatory meetings scheduled next time. The cba saga should not require lost games each time it expires.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Well, i dont think it's a factor into the negociations directly. But Crosby sure have a lot to do with how many consider the draft as a problem right now. A draft with no clear-cut future star as the 1st pick would not be regard as that big of a problem. I think if the current draft was centering around Stefan and the 2 sedins (like a few years back), the decision of: (draft the same as of last year, lottery picks, weight lottery picks, etc...) would bring a LOT less attention.

But the guy is a special talent, every hockey fan knows he's incredibly good for his age and the decision about the draft is all about: Who will get Crosby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad