Not open for further replies.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
There's been alot of speculation about the 2005 draft in the event there is
no hockey.In an article by Donna Spencer for the Canadian Press regarding the
recent release of player rankings by Central Scouting ,director Frank Bonello
desribes how the draft situation will work .He states there has to be a new
collective agreement for a draft to be held.If this season is wiped out ,but
Hockey resumes sometimes later in 2005 -2006,a draft will be held then.

This is EXACTLY what I've said all along.Of course this is the answer. It is
straight forward and simple.

Last edited:

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
holding a draft when lockout ends, even if it means pushing the draft back a few months, is the most likely scenario imo (of course figuring out the draft order is going to be tough)...

but i still say that ANY comment made about what would happen is just pure speculation...the situation has never been faced before and we don't know what is going to happen if crosby's agent take the league to court looking to become a free agent, or if a team like pittsburgh takes the league to court because the lottery setup screws them or whatever...

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
NYR469,What do you mean IMO.Bonello is director of central scouting.
Also,when cba is signed everyone will be ready to play hockey all that
other crap is crazy.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Bonello's reply SEEMS to indicate that if the new CBA is agreed to only during the 2005/06 season, the delayed 2005 draft will be held THEN...(ie. a separate draft for 2005 before the 2005/06 season ends, not a combo 2005+2006 draft AFTER the 2005/06 season ends)---what is not stated is the formula for such a 2005 draft in that scenario--the indications are it would be a 30 team lotto but still weighted in order of the worst finishing teams from the last full prior season played (ie. 2003/04 season)...however,there still might be a legal challenge by some agents to try to get the entire 2005 draft crop declared free agents prior to the start of 2005/06,should no new CBA be in place prior to the normally scheduled June draft in 2005..so we will have to wait to see how it all plays out.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
I kinda like the idea of having two draft years as one... The drafts are pretty thin right now anyways, but this would only happen if the nhl held out for a REALLLLLLY long time. or else just shaft Crosbys draft year and make them wait and combine it with the 06 draft. This isnt my idea, dont jump all over me for it, but its not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad