2005 and 2006 entry draft together??

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
There are a lot of speculations about the 2005 entry draft. I think it could be possible that these drafts will held together.

That´s are my top 30 players mixed:

1. Sidney Crosby
2. Michael Frolik
3. Philip Kessel
4. Jesse Joensuu
5. Jack Johnson
6. Peter Mueller
7. Gilbert Brule
8. Alexander Vasjunov
9. Jakub Kindl
10. Jonathan Toews
11. Benoit Pouliot
12. Jean-Philippe Levasseur
13. James Sheppard
14. Bobby Ryan
15. Tuuka Rask
16. Bryan Little
17. Guillaume Latendresse
18. Ryan O´Marra
19. Carey Price
20. Erik Johnson
21. Jack Skille
22. Ben Maxwell
23. Alex Bourret
24. Dan Bertam
25. Thomas Marcinko
26. Ben Strait
27. Vladimir Zharkov
28. Chris Durand
29. Matthew Corrento
30. Jean-Christoph Blanchard

Nimrods Son

They should just delay a year and make it a nineteen year old draft. I personally am in favour of a 20 year old draft, that way picks actually mean something, and are not just shots in the dark.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I can't see them combining the two pools of players like that. I think they would first hold a draft for the 2005 players, then the 2006 players.

With a combined 05/06 draft, we're talking 20 rounds. How outrageous would that be? And imagine how badly it would screw up rookie contracts... players taken in the 2nd round would want 1st round money. What about picks that have been traded already? How would the league deal with that? It just can't happen IMO.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think that the league already has said (I am sure that I have read this before) that if the season is cancelled that there will be two drafts, if needed one right after another, after a new CBA is signed.

The thing not yet determined is how to handle the seeding of the teams, except to say that would be part covered under the new CBA agreement.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
they wouldnt combine drafts, a more likely approach would be to hold one after the season eventually ends with the 05 crop. (assuming they dont play this year, but do play next, and this takes the place of the 06 draft) then at mid point of the season hold the 06 draft, then after that season is over hold the 07 draft in its usual place with the usual aged players.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Nimrods Son said:
They should just delay a year and make it a nineteen year old draft. I personally am in favour of a 20 year old draft, that way picks actually mean something, and are not just shots in the dark.

It's been said a million times but you have to keep the draft at 18 years old since that is usually the legal adult age. If you push it to 20 you are denying some great young hockey player 2 years of work in his chosen profession and the NHL would go to court just like that football player who took the NFL to court.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
McDonald19 said:
It's been said a million times but you have to keep the draft at 18 years old since that is usually the legal adult age. If you push it to 20 you are denying some great young hockey player 2 years of work in his chosen profession and the NHL would go to court just like that football player who took the NFL to court.

And who won? The NFL!

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
La-La-Laprise said:
And who won? The NFL!

yeah except the NFL already had a higher age cutoff that the player was trying to make lower where as in this case the league would be moving the age up.

Its a different scenario which I believe the 18 hockey player would win.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
McDonald19 said:
yeah except the NFL already had a higher age cutoff that the player was trying to make lower where as in this case the league would be moving the age up.

Its a different scenario which I believe the 18 hockey player would win.

How is it different?

Years back when the NFL changed the rule they were taken to court and WON. Why cant the NHL win in court? There is alread a precedent.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
La-La-Laprise said:
How is it different?

Years back when the NFL changed the rule they were taken to court and WON. Why cant the NHL win in court? There is alread a precedent.

I already said why its different:

"yeah except the NFL already had a higher age cutoff that the player was trying to make lower where as in this case the league would be moving the age up."

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
trahans99 said:
If they have 2 separate drafts how will they decide the draft order (teams) for each draft?

That is the part that they have not decided. I would guess though that whatever system that they choose would follow through on both drafts, but it a form of lottery, rechoose for each.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
(Assuming the 04-05 season doesn't happen...)

Play the 05-06 season. The standings after 42 games will indicated the draft order for the '05 draft, and the standings after the season and playoffs will indicate the draft order for the '06 draft.

Just an idea.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Douggy said:
(Assuming the 04-05 season doesn't happen...)

Play the 05-06 season. The standings after 42 games will indicated the draft order for the '05 draft, and the standings after the season and playoffs will indicate the draft order for the '06 draft.

Just an idea.

Never happen in a million years. For a number of reasons, but one alone would be to have something positive to focus on right away, to create excitement in the game. A draft would be a start instead of a throwaway squeezed in weekend in the middle of the season (think of the logistics alone as management focuses on games and the draft). Though the league is pretty dumb when it comes to marketing opportunities (we did not even have the draft live on the radio, anywhere, was down in some office somewhere - look at the NBA and NFL to see marketing), still no matter how dumb they have been, they would not be this dumb from a marketing perspective when they need to win fans back I think.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
(we did not even have the draft live on the radio, anywhere, was down in some office somewhere - look at the NBA and NFL to see marketing)
Perhaps you're thinking of Baseball. For as long as I can remember, the NHL Draft has been on TSN and ESPN2.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I've posted the scenarios several times before on these boards...if any portion of the 2005/06 season (next season) is played then obviously it will determine the order for the 2006 draft...a 2005 draft would be held separately before that (either in the 2005/06 season or just before the June 2006 draft,and the order for 2005 in that case would be based on 2003/04's final standings)..Doug MacLean said that the rumours he's head indicate a lotto system of 3 tiers of 10 teams each in inverse order of their 2003/04 finish ...thus only the worst ten finishers of 2003/04 would get an equal 10% chance at winning this lotto to move up to the #1 pick in such a delayed 2005 draft.........IF however,no part of the 2005/06 season is played then it is still unclear whether there would be 1 combined draft of 2005+2006 relying on this same 3 tired lotto system --or whether they hold 2 separate delayed drafts for the 2 crops of draft-eligibles and if the latter,then whether the same 3 tier lotto system will apply to both drafts or only to one of them (ie. a 3 tier system for 2005 and a 30 team equal chance lotto for 2006)...all this is of course still to be determined...all this is moot if by some last minute miracle they play any part of the remaining 200/05 season under a new CBA...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Douggy said:
Perhaps you're thinking of Baseball. For as long as I can remember, the NHL Draft has been on TSN and ESPN2.

I mispoke, I mean the lottery . . . but the word came out as 'draft.'

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Jaded-Fan said:
I mispoke, I mean the lottery . . . but the word came out as 'draft.'
But then again, how much appeal would a televized draft lottery draw? It takes all of 3 seconds, and I don't think it would be terribly interesting, even to hardcore draft fans.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Seachd said:
But then again, how much appeal would a televized draft lottery draw? It takes all of 3 seconds, and I don't think it would be terribly interesting, even to hardcore draft fans.

Even on the radio? Internet? The NBA broadcasts it during halftime of one of the post season games I think. It certainly would not hurt and would have some interest I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->