2004 - When did you start to believe?

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
We all have strong memories about the run 2004 but at what point during the playoffs did you think that "you know what, this team might actually win it all this year"?

I think all of us were simply "happy to be there" when the Vancouver series started, and the OT win in game 7 was pretty much gravy.

The Detroit series was where I thought it might end, especially after the loss in game four which tied the series at 2-2. Going into game 5 (which today is the anniversary of) I was nervous as all hell for two reasons.

1 - It was an afternoon game which have caused problems for the Flames over the years. Not to mention that face that game 2 of that series was an afternoon game and that one didn't go so well.

2 - The Red Wings at that time had that aura of being almost invincible in the playoffs. Yes they lost to Anaheim the year before, but that one you could write off to the god like performance from Giguere.

That game I still think was one of Kipper's best as a Flame, getting the shut out on the road in Detroit. (The injury to Yzerman probably helped a little, but I digress)

That was the game that got me to believe that winning the cup was a realistic possibility. What was that moment for the rest of you?

Reactions: Boomstick

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Looking back, that series was when I kinda became a Flames fan. I was a university student back then, and the semester was over so I would spend nights playing some versio of Civilization or Championship Manager, and listening to Flames games over NHL.com. All because of Kipper.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
That win vs Van was my Stanley Cup....I thought we had no chance vs the Wings. Those games were super hard on my heart as it was chance after chance for the Wings, and us just holding on. Once we got past them though, and seeing Kipper doing what he was doing, most became believers.

But honestly, that 1st series win in forever was like XMas X4 :D

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The Matt Cooke goal honestly felt worse than what I witnessed in 94 tbh. I just felt it in my bones that this team would piss it away... again!

And then they didn’t. My jaw drafted because I had only expected choking and sadness from this team at that point.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I had a buddy who had probably watched 3 games in his life telling me about how good the Flames were and how they were going to beat Detroit...I told him no chance....

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
That win vs Van was my Stanley Cup....I thought we had no chance vs the Wings. Those games were super hard on my heart as it was chance after chance for the Wings, and us just holding on. Once we got past them though, and seeing Kipper doing what he was doing, most became believers.

But honestly, that 1st series win in forever was like XMas X4 :D

I was at a house party in a different town that I lived and maybe knew 5 people there. I was huddled in the basement by myself watching game 6 when St. Louis scored the OT winner. I would've cried if I wasn't at that party because I knew that was our chance and didn't think we'd win game 7 in Tampa.

Man I can't believe that was over 15 years ago. I went to Game 2 last year against the Avs and was like I finally am going to get on the Red Mile. And then MacKinnon buried it in OT and we lost every game after :(

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I was at a house party in a different town that I lived and maybe knew 5 people there. I was huddled in the basement by myself watching game 6 when St. Louis scored the OT winner. I would've cried if I wasn't at that party because I knew that was our chance and didn't think we'd win game 7 in Tampa.

Man I can't believe that was over 15 years ago. I went to Game 2 last year against the Avs and was like I finally am going to get on the Red Mile. And then MacKinnon buried it in OT and we lost every game after :(

Ya, after we lost Reggie vs TB for game 7, that was it....I still call that a goal and win, and I don't give a **** what anyone else says.
And I was right with you emotionally as far as last year....pissed me off even more how arrogant the Avs fans were.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I remember Nilsson hitting the crossbar in the 3rd period or overtime of game 6 in the finals. I was scanning through the video but I haven't found it yet, am I misremembering?

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
November 18, 2003.

I had seats close to front row and sat right next to Brett Hart! (I wasn't with him :laugh:)
The Flames played a really good game and won it in overtime (I believe it was 3-2?) Anyways, I remember saying to my dad at the time, "this team looks special and we're going far!"

Every time we won a game after that I kept reminding him. What a special season that was!
But honestly, after we beat Detroit in game 1 I started to really believe.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Win it all? At some point in OT in game 6 Oleg Saprykin had a breakaway only to hit the crossbar.

for about 20 seconds I truly thought they’d possibly win it all.

That’s how much confidence I had in them the entire time, and that’s why that run was so magical.

My memories are similar. That every game we felt like the underdog from the outset. It was what made it as amazing as it was.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Gelinas' OT goal to eliminate Detroit. On the back of b2b shutouts by Kipper against the best team in the league, a team that was frankly in another stratosphere from the 2004 Flames.

So many moments of that run were pure magic, but that was probably the moment for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad