OT: 2004 Stanley Cup Finals

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Lightning fan here. Just out of pure curiosity, I was wondering who all of you Hab fans were rooting for in the 2004 Stanley Cup Finals. The who prospect of a team from Canada winning the cup was pretty hyped up, even on ABC. They made it appear that most of Canada wanted the Flames to win (Canadians have subsequently told me that it was just hype).

While that was the Flames narrative, the Lightning obviously had one with our captain Dave Andreychuk, who ended up winning his first cup in his 22nd season. What also might have been appealing to the Montreal natives was the fact that Vincent Lecavalier and Martin St. Louis (Hart and Art Ross winner that year) are both local boys.

Just wondering this out of pure curiosity.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Flames, because it was a cinderella run, where they knocked off the canucks, wings, and sharks.

There was some canadian pride for me, but it was mostly me feeling good for a franchise that had not won a series since 89 to that point.

It was not a team with alot of talent, but they brought their lunchbox every night, so I kinda got swept up in the whole underdog, hard work story

VL55

Aug 12, 2010
Montreal
I was mildly rooting for Tampa Bay.

A combination of Lecavalier/St-Louis with the fact that it's better for my pride if the team that swept my team turns out to be the Cup champion. That last reasoning did not apply to Boston, though.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I used to work for the Flames and live in Calgary. No brainer for me. Plus, with the exception of the Leafs, I will almost always root for a Canadian team in the finals.

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007
Flames, because it was a cinderella run, where they knocked off the canucks, wings, and sharks.

There was some canadian pride for me, but it was mostly me feeling good for a franchise that had not won a series since 89 to that point.

It was not a team with alot of talent, but they brought their lunchbox every night, so I kinda got swept up in the whole underdog, hard work story

This exactly.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I don't see teams as being Canadian or American based on city so this whole Cup being in the states thing is no big deal to me when it's not at the cost of the Habs. That said, since everyone makes a big deal of it, I've always wanted Montreal to be the last Canadian city to win. And the next. I was...slightly relieved, when the Lightning won. Was getting tired of that red mile stuff. That and despite beating us on the way, Vinny and Marty are hometown boys. Didn't appreciate them in that second rd, though. The Habs are a very American team FTR. Still Montreal's team. (Reverse is pretty much true for Tbay.)

When it comes to national pride: Olympics, so I'm quite content.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I did not have any preference until game 6 of the stanley cup finals as I felt that Calgary were robbed of a goal (I think it was Gélinas who had scored) that would have been the game winning goal and the cup winning goal. From then on, I was rooting hard for the flames.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I hate Mickey Mouse franchises - especially those who draft Québécois and Canadians.

TimStrickland

Jul 30, 2011
hfboards.hockeysfuture.com
Flames.

No hard feelings for the team's OP, but the 13-year old (back then ;) heart of this particular poster was broken after your team dismantled quickly my Habs in 2004. So, out of spite I cheered for Calgary, who had a player I liked in Iginla and the ''whole cinderella Canadian hard-working team'' angle probably helped to root for them personally.

Although in Quebec most hockey fans I knew were indifferent about the outcome of that final- it was like they didn't seem to have a particular preference, although I sensed they somewhat preferred to see the Quebeckers on Tampa Bay win it all, if they were forced to pick either of these teams.

Last edited:

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I was Flames just because Iginla was a beast.. But I can remember most people you'd hear talking around in the city would be rooting for Tampa because of Lecavalier and St. Louis.. I can still remember a shot Iginla made coming down the right side and scoring a beauty snipe far side blocker and just being in complete awe of him.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
The Flames. What a great run they went on, I didn't care much when they beat Vancouver but when they beat the Red Wings I was on their bandwagon. Should have won the Cup, game 6 they got robbed of the Cup!

Brass

Nov 14, 2007
laurentides
Martin Gelinas haha , I was rooting for flames , but was so happy for Marty St-Louis , one of my all time fave.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I didn't watch the whole series. Couldn't. It was the most mind-numbing gawd awful playoff series I've ever seen. The clutching, holding and grabbing in that series was ****ing unbelievable. I was at the Hockey Hall of Fame once during the year long lockout and they were playing a game of that series. It doesn't get better with time. It's horrible hockey. That whole dead puck era just gave 2-1 scores a bad name.

On the other hand, that series did ensure that the NHL changed its rules. I don't think even hockey people could stand watching it.

Much much better hockey being played today. I hope we never get back to what was played in the Calgary - Tampa Bay series.

Cdizzle

Mar 11, 2008
Toronto
Im partial to underdogs, so I was rooting for the flames.

Lets all relive a great moment from that series

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad