2004 MockDraft. Sign Up Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziner

Mar 2, 2003
Kitchener
Visit site
xander said:
i'll do bell for my second if your still interested.

The Toronto Maple Leafs would like to announce a deal with the Carolina Hurricanes. The deal will send Brendan Bell to Carolina for their second round pick, 38th overall in the draft.

The Toronto Maple Leafs make this deal because they are deep at the d-position amongst the youngsters and would like to add some depth to their depleted forward group, and hoping they can do this with the 38th overall pick in this years draft.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Patty Ice XXX said:
Wow from left field...interesting choice :thumbu:

Yeah, I guess so, although the Blues need a solid goaltending prospect, and I was torn between Schneider and Montoya, opting to go with the guy I think has a bit more upside.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Well i thought about it and while i couldn't find a sniper i liked i was left with a choice of two defensemen.

Jeff Schultz
and
ANDREJ MESZAROS

while it was a tough choice we liked Schultz size enough to make us draft him. We feel with the right Coaching we can change him into a crease clearing dman

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Interesting. You had to make my job harder by going off the board eh? I highly doubt Schultz will go that high. I'm also torn between 2 defensemen but those are Valabik and Mike Green. Montoya also gets some consideration. I hope the Flames have to consider such a predicament.

As tempting as Valabik's size and style is, I slightly prefer Green and the fact he's a WHLer also gets him some points (more likely to like Calgary, stay in Calgary, etc.) Sounds like a better puck mover than Valabik as well and that's important to Sutter.

So Mike Green to Calgary although both Montoya and Valabik got heavy consideration.

Last edited:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Same here i gave Montoya alot of thought as i am not sure what the plans for Auld are. But i now get the feeling that i went too far off the board and should have gone with Valbik.....

Jeez i didn't even see this guy i wish i could change my pick right about now.

Valbik

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Rabid Ranger said:
Yeah, I guess so, although the Blues need a solid goaltending prospect, and I was torn between Schneider and Montoya, opting to go with the guy I think has a bit more upside.

:dunno:

I'd have gone with Montoya in this position (the "obvious choice" I spoke of in my earlier post), but I say that only because I haven't had any opportunity to see Schneider... no stats, no scouting reports, no nothin'. I got his size and birthday from Central Scouting, and das ist alles...

US high school players terrify me as first-round picks. The media coverage of high-school hockey in this country is beyond pathetic, so unless you've got some kind of inside connections, it's next to impossible to get any idea about these guys.

Enlighten me, if you would. Give me some reason why you went with Schneider... and if you don't mind, I'd like a little more than the generic "he has more upside." I'd like to know why he has more upside.

You can post it here, or just PM me if you like.

Thanks,

PrussianBlue :blues

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
PrussianBlue said:

I'd have gone with Montoya in this position (the "obvious choice" I spoke of in my earlier post), but I say that only because I haven't had any opportunity to see Schneider... no stats, no scouting reports, no nothin'. I got his size and birthday from Central Scouting, and das ist alles...

US high school players terrify me as first-round picks. The media coverage of high-school hockey in this country is beyond pathetic, so unless you've got some kind of inside connections, it's next to impossible to get any idea about these guys.

Enlighten me, if you would. Give me some reason why you went with Schneider... and if you don't mind, I'd like a little more than the generic "he has more upside." I'd like to know why he has more upside.

Thanks,

Heres a nice little article on the kid Cory Schneider

I'd say hes more rough at this point than a Montoya or Dubnyk but I think his ceiling could be much higher. His size is what makes him that more appealing.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
PrussianBlue said:

Thanks,

I don't really think you need "inside connections" to get a good read on Cory Schneider and his potential. Enough of the scouting services have detailed write ups on his play and potential to get a good read on what his future projects to be. Personally, I view the Blues' needs in net as a long term draft solution. No one they are going to be able to get is going to start for them for quite some time, so why not take a guy who has a high ceiling? Schneider has shown that he can dominate staggered levels of competition in the same year, and has a mixture of size and agility that few possess. I think he can be a great one.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Thanks, guys (or gals, as the case may be)...

Patty Ice XXX: After I posted my message last night, I went and did a 'Net search on Philips Andover, and came across that article on Schneider. It was an interesting read, and I thank you for posting it even though I had already found it before I saw your reply.

Rabid Ranger said:
I don't really think you need "inside connections" to get a good read on Cory Schneider and his potential. Enough of the scouting services have detailed write ups on his play and potential to get a good read on what his future projects to be.

I suppose you're right, but alas, Mrs. PB isn't keen on my spending the dough for subscriptions to McKeen's, Russian Prospects, Red Line, and the other scouting services.

I managed to get a login for the CSB site, because that didn't cost me anything, and I have to rely on "free" sites for my info... which is why I ranted elsewhere about the Russians. It's a constant source of frustration to me that there are no free sites (in any language but the indecipherable Cyrillic, which, as I said elsewhere, might as well be Martian) where you can get any of the same info about Russian players that every other major hockey-playing country in the world provides for free somewhere on the 'Net.

:mad:

But I digress... I searched the USA Hockey site and found links to Schneider's stats at the U-18 tourney and with the USNTDP U-18 squad in the NAHL. I liked what I saw there.

Rabid Ranger said:
Personally, I view the Blues' needs in net as a long term draft solution. No one they are going to be able to get is going to start for them for quite some time, so why not take a guy who has a high ceiling? Schneider has shown that he can dominate staggered levels of competition in the same year, and has a mixture of size and agility that few possess. I think he can be a great one.

Thanks for that. After checking out what info was available on him, I'd have to agree.

I'm still not 100% sure that, if I were Larry Pleau or Jarmo Kekalainen, I'd spend the 17th overall pick on a long-range (4 years minimum unless he leaves college early) goalie prospect when the organization is in such great need of a legitimate nearer-term scoring forward prospect (Lukas Kaspar or Roman Voloshenko, for example, who were still available when you took Schneider). But I now understand your reasoning for doing so.

Do you think that Schneider's stock has risen so much because of a good U-18 tourney that he wouldn't still be available midway through the second round?

And how would you compare Schneider to the second tier of goalie prospects available this year (Dubnyk, Martin Houle, Julien Ellis)? If you had spent the first pick on the best forward available, would any of those guys have been worth the second-round pick, and do they come with upside that is at all comparable to Schneider's?

At the very least, those are all nearer-term prospects because they're all major junior players, which means they'll be in the AHL in two years if they're any good at all. Yes?

Thanks,

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
The New Jersey Devils are proud to select from the Oshawa Generals, Adam Berti.

Adam Berti : 6`3 192
Position: Left Wing
Home Town : Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Birthday : July 1, 1986

2003-04 - 66 games 17 goals 29 assists 46 points 44 PIM

Scouting Report: Berti is a big forward who uses his size well in scoring zones. He isn't overly physical along the boards but will battle for the puck. He has a large 6`3 frame that could add 20 pounds easy. For his size Berti is blazing fast, he has excellent mobility and a nack for the net. Berti has a nice shot and has good puck handling abilities. Berti missed a full season with knee problems and came back to have a solid season with Oshawa. New Jersey is willing to take their time with Berti.

TWS

Jul 8, 2002
Visit site
I am looking to upgrade my team(Kings) by trade so make me any offers. The Kings are looking to upgrade everything(forwards, defense, and goaltending). So, send me some proposals.

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
The Oilers are thrilled with the oppurtunity to select Al Montoya with their second pick in the first round.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
It would make sense to PM the next guy on the list. It would also make sense for the person running the draft to update the selections as they have been made. That is probably why this mock is slowing down.... :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->