2004 Entry draft: Under the Radar prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

Thanks Enoch and everyone else, expeacially JRN for telling the people that.

I wasn't lying about helping McKeens with the USHL and NCAA. I do admit i'm not a writer there though...but me and Iain have talked in the past and I have helped with some players specifically in the USHL and in Wisconsin.

zamboni

Apr 25, 2003
Visit site
Brett Carson: Defense 6-3 223. Brett Plays for Calgary in the WHL.
A very quick, very poised puck carier....great size, I hear he has a work ethic that makes scouts really take notice... For his size the way he moves is impressive, very agile, and pretty dang fast, with a great first step to get going, his top gear isnt elite but still for a defensman with his skating is dang good. He's very versitale...he kills penalties and does Powerplay work. Once in the offensive zone, he's very actice. Brett moves around alot and when he gets the puck he's not afraid to skate around with it, that ability catches defenders flat footed and confused. He also is so big and fast it's hard to contain him. Did I mention poise with the puck? Nothing fases him, he moves it very well and handles it very well even in heavy pressure situations. Solid hands overall....His stock is soaring...A year ago I wouldve raged on his bad agility, and his lack of physical play...both have improved.....he has worked on his skating to the point where he moves very well and skates very well. His one on one skills have improved.... Overall an impressive late showing from him that has really caught my eye.
Skating has taken huge steps forward and his one on one skills have improved.

I can back Sharkie up on this one. I've been to many Hitmen games this past season and have noticed pretty much everything Sharkie has said here. Carson is a very solid defensemen. I guess it's not enough to say I've been to hitmen games; I'm probably going to have to mail Postman my old tickets as proof. :shakehead

st_roland

X-SHARKIE said:
Thanks to everyone who believed me and stood up for me.. I do apreciate it.

Speaking for myself, I supported you out of pure selfishness, I don't want you to get frustrated and leave. I enjoy reading your scouting reports too much to let that happen.

DR. Holiday

:eek:
Zoidberg said:
Ladies, gentlemen, let's steer clear of the nonsense. This thread is on probation.

I saw this thread out drinking and playing with guns last night. I think that violates it's probation. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

jincargo

Jan 28, 2004
Well...all I have to say is why is anyone paying for Mckeens when they can just read Sharkies posts? Its basically the same thing with the words changed around.

:dunno:

X-SHARKIE

strungout said:
Well...all I have to say is why is anyone paying for Mckeens when they can just read Sharkies posts? Its basically the same thing with the words changed around.

:dunno:

LOl...YOu havent seen McKeens then. I :bow: to McKeens...the site blows my information away...I only see the top few players eligible a year and who ever is on there teams....They see U-18 tournies ect. And see games live..... McKeens blows me away and so does Redline.

GorillazXL

Jun 21, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
I like your list of "under the radar picks". I've only seen the prospect game which Funk played in but, yeah he played a real mean game. I think if not for Mike Green's heroics Funk probally would of gotten more exposure.

GXL

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
X-SHARKIE said:
Brett Carson: Defense 6-3 223. Brett Plays for Calgary in the WHL.
A very quick, very poised puck carier....great size, I hear he has a work ethic that makes scouts really take notice... For his size the way he moves is impressive, very agile, and pretty dang fast, with a great first step to get going, his top gear isnt elite but still for a defensman with his skating is dang good. He's very versitale...he kills penalties and does Powerplay work. Once in the offensive zone, he's very actice. Brett moves around alot and when he gets the puck he's not afraid to skate around with it, that ability catches defenders flat footed and confused. He also is so big and fast it's hard to contain him. Did I mention poise with the puck? Nothing fases him, he moves it very well and handles it very well even in heavy pressure situations. Solid hands overall....His stock is soaring...A year ago I wouldve raged on his bad agility, and his lack of physical play...both have improved.....he has worked on his skating to the point where he moves very well and skates very well. His one on one skills have improved.... Overall an impressive late showing from him that has really caught my eye.
Skating has taken huge steps forward and his one on one skills have improved.

If you want to go under the radar with any Hitmen defenseman, it has to be Andy Rogers, who actually scored in his first game at the U-18 tournament a few days ago.

Of the three defensemen, Rogers is the best defensively, and is also the best skater. While he may not be the most offensive defenseman the Hitmen have, I believe he saw an increase in special teams play as the season drew closer to a close.

I'm trying to remember whether he was paired with captain Wellar or Yacboski for the majority of the second half of the season, but the partnership did wonders for Rogers, who really came on the last month and a half, whereas Schultz struggled, and Carson basically was the most consistent.

Talking to one scout, he said he'd take Rogers out of the bunch of draft eligible defensemen from Calgary, over the mildly hyped Jeff Schultz.

On Carson, his speed is exagerated. I believe it was Carson who won the fastest skater at the Top Prospects game, but many believe he isn't close to being the fastest Hitmen defenseman, nevermind the fastest CHL prospect in the draft. To me, his skating is smooth, but to me he seems to look like a turtle when he skates, with his head tucked into his shoulders or something.

All in all, I'd take Rogers in a walk over Carson.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
If you don't like Sharkie's posts then don't read them...I can't belive all the crap this guy gets on this board...if he's ripping off someone, then let that someone come after him...if they don't, then give it up already...we're on a message board not testifying before congress...as for Sharkie's comments being similar to those of this periodical or that periodical, well, there's only so much to say about hockey players...if a guy's fast, then he's fast...if he's got a booming shot from the point, that's what he's got...to think that someone is going to come up with entirely different scouting reports from other sources defies logic... :banghead:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Chief said:
If you don't like Sharkie's posts then don't read them...I can't belive all the crap this guy gets on this board

I think HF is outstanding when it works.., it is a good collection of Hockey fans in NA, and abroad. X-Sharkie is outstanding in his own right.. if he is ripping off info doesn't matter as much to me as the fact that I can't find this info in Columbus Ohio. If any of the critics want to post some good writeups... know that this hockey newbie will gladly eat them up. Does it matter that this kid is 16, not in the slightest in my opinion.

Now sharkie, as for these tapes you have - if you have any footage of Barker, Olesz, Shremp or Ladd I would gladly send a few bucks for a copy of tapes with this.

I am a Jackets fans as I gave up on the Hawks after years of futility.. all my favorite Hawks play for other teams. The Jackets have many needs.. mainly being a coach and some standup defense. I think Barker is very high on our wish list but believe we need to go defense with a good part of this draft. Brock has been kind enough to profile some of the dmen that he feels might go to the 3rd round. He did nice writeups on Funk, Fistric, Sersen, Carson & Rogers, Maunu, Siglet. If we wanted to get up in the range of Smid, is it unprecedented for a team to trade multiple 3rds for a #1?

While I'm throwing out questions.. What do you folks see as the highest upside for our young centreman Danny Fritsche? This guy really impresses me but I've been told he may not possess the skills to be a #1 centreman. What is he missing?

So Doc/ and others if something about young sharkie bothers ya, thats alright.. avoid his posts, some of us really like the insight as he knows more about hockey than anyone else I could converse with and he is very willing to give his opinion. Maybe x - Sharkie should say something to the effect I read this in Redline, or my opinion is what not. Thanks to all.

prairie boy

Mar 6, 2003
Melville, Sask.
Visit site
Ex-Hitmen to consider

You have mentioned Schultz, Rogers & Carson all with the Hitmen but many forget that at the start of last season there were 4 draft elligible defense from Calgary. Early in the season however, Paul Albers was traded to Regina for Yacobowski. Paul deserves some attention as an "under the radar" players as he put up some good numbers 5 goals, 19 assists on a terrible team in turmoil(barely above theBlades. Had it been Schultz, Rogers or Carson traded would they have done as well??? Maybe maybe not, but Albers played 20-30 mins a game most often against the top lines of the other teams. His downside would be the finese game instead of the physical game.........much the same as Carson.

X-SHARKIE

prairie boy said:
You have mentioned Schultz, Rogers & Carson all with the Hitmen but many forget that at the start of last season there were 4 draft elligible defense from Calgary. Early in the season however, Paul Albers was traded to Regina for Yacobowski. Paul deserves some attention as an "under the radar" players as he put up some good numbers 5 goals, 19 assists on a terrible team in turmoil(barely above theBlades. Had it been Schultz, Rogers or Carson traded would they have done as well??? Maybe maybe not, but Albers played 20-30 mins a game most often against the top lines of the other teams. His downside would be the finese game instead of the physical game.........much the same as Carson.

I'll have to ask around about Paul Albers...I havent seen him play I believe.

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
Doc, we've seen your opinion on X. Give it a rest, would you? You don't like what he posts. Go read something else. By trolling this post, you're making yourself look 12 years old. Hopefully, we're all mature enough to decide on our own whether or not to believe what X is spewing. Let us make the decisions on our own. After all, you're already getting your money's worth on this board.

Thanks.

~Crazed.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Hockeycrazed07 said:
Hopefully, we're all mature enough to decide on our own whether or not to believe what X is spewing.

Based on the fact a good 40% of the posters at HF were foolish enough to actually believe in Dustin Rose back in the days, no, I don't think all people are mature (or smart) enough to make the right decision.

I'd like very much to know if it is true that X-Sharkie somehow gave a hand to McKeen. If it proves to be true, that would very much put in the ground my slight interest in subscribing.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Vlad The Impaler said:
Based on the fact a good 40% of the posters at HF were foolish enough to actually believe in Dustin Rose back in the days, no, I don't think all people are mature (or smart) enough to make the right decision.

I'd like very much to know if it is true that X-Sharkie somehow gave a hand to McKeen. If it proves to be true, that would very much put in the ground my slight interest in subscribing.

Don't shoot down the Dustin dream!!

DR. Holiday

Vlad The Impaler said:

LOL. On both parts but especially the dustin Rose. Why is that being allowed to resurface I wonder.

X-SHARKIE

Seriosly, you guys need to stop saying i'm this or that....I dont mind you guys disagreeing with my opinions...it's part of the fun, but when you guys repeatidly need proof....even when I continue to shove it down your mouths...it's a bit irritating.

I wasnt here to see Dustin....but I dont think I should be punished for what he's done....I have given people tapes before, even people I dont know well lilke JNR when they ask...i'm more then happy to help out....I dont have a library of tapes at all...just a few tapes of Sharks prospects and some WJC's along with top prospects game.....I exchange tapes from others who do the same thing I do...have a pasion for hockey and look to get most out of it. Sharks play a heavy role at the draft day since the SHarks are built around drafint well...so thats where I got my spark...used to just look at it to see who the Sharks would take...but People lilke you try to punish me for sharing my thoughts. I ask around for tapes when I need them if I cant them from people on these boards actuall.....I asked Montreal for a tape just a week ago.....I also didn't comment on Rositslav Olesz earlier because I didnt see him untill the WJC"s....yet I must be lying to you when I say I have seen Carson play....I dont know what else to say or do that well make you stop this hawking...So please just let it go guys.... I dont care if you dont believe me but when I'm trying to tell some people about underated and unherald prospects...I dont want to get into this kind of **** always.
Call this a done thread and please respect my privacy and quit hawking my posts and bringing up the same thing over and over. WHose looking like the teen ager?

Last edited:

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
X-SHARKIE said:
WHose looking like the teen ager?

Max, I asked for people to back off, and now I'll ask you to do the same. By continually responding to stuff, you look like the teenager that you are. If someone disagrees with you, then let them. Stop making a bad situation worse.

Crazed the middle-man. Who'd have thunk? I want to go back to the old board days when CDW and I talked about which D would be better.

All hail the old boards! :bow:

~Crazed.

X-SHARKIE

Hockeycrazed07 said:
Max, I asked for people to back off, and now I'll ask you to do the same. By continually responding to stuff, you look like the teenager that you are. If someone disagrees with you, then let them. Stop making a bad situation worse.

Crazed the middle-man. Who'd have thunk? I want to go back to the old board days when CDW and I talked about which D would be better.

All hail the old boards! :bow:

~Crazed.

Agreed.... Somone should just close this thread...and I swear on my families name I wont respond once more on this thread...Finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad