2004 Entry draft: Under the Radar prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

Hello everyone......I've compiled some notes on some players i've seen over the past season that there names have not been shown anywhere else i've seen but these guys have caught my attention.

These are the players who have been outcasted the hype machines accross the globe for one reason or another.
Heres my list of unknowns who have caught my eye to the point where I think they need to be given some respect and I want to call it out so when they make it big I can say yeppp I saw this coming :)

Brett Carson: Defense 6-3 223. Brett Plays for Calgary in the WHL.
A very quick, very poised puck carier....great size, I hear he has a work ethic that makes scouts really take notice... For his size the way he moves is impressive, very agile, and pretty dang fast, with a great first step to get going, his top gear isnt elite but still for a defensman with his skating is dang good. He's very versitale...he kills penalties and does Powerplay work. Once in the offensive zone, he's very actice. Brett moves around alot and when he gets the puck he's not afraid to skate around with it, that ability catches defenders flat footed and confused. He also is so big and fast it's hard to contain him. Did I mention poise with the puck? Nothing fases him, he moves it very well and handles it very well even in heavy pressure situations. Solid hands overall....His stock is soaring...A year ago I wouldve raged on his bad agility, and his lack of physical play...both have improved.....he has worked on his skating to the point where he moves very well and skates very well. His one on one skills have improved.... Overall an impressive late showing from him that has really caught my eye.
Skating has taken huge steps forward and his one on one skills have improved.

Michael Funk: Defensman 6-3 190 I've seen this guy twice, every time he's been impressive! And who doesn't love that last name? He's been a stud for Portland all year. This guy is a horse in trafic...One mean SOB..... He takes everything personal..... He takes your number down if you hit him and keeps on coming.... Funk is a great player in his own zone...Now not the smartest, I know, but he's a brute, He punishes players for even coming near the goalie or the puck in the corners for that matter..... He loves to hit as well. One on one he doesnt get beat....He locks in your chest and makes you pay if your the attacking forward. Un like Schutlz this guy can skate...a very good all compass skater, good agility, very nice acceleration, and when he gets going, he sure is fast....very long smooth and lively stride. Uses his stick very very well. Offensivly talented as well...he doesnt ahve a hard shot, but he moves the puck well with crisp passes...He loves to try taking it up the ice him self, although he's lucky because he was partnered with Cobourn and had somone back there to bail him out.
A project worth a mid round tag, could produce great results if taken slowly and if he shows the focus and effort to make it.

Matt Christie: F 5-10 194 ........ Grossly underated Sniper. Matt can flat out shoot the puck. I asked for a tape from a local to see A.J. Thelen some more and I saw them play Miami Ohio......I did not expect to be so impressed by this freshman who know one has spoke of. So the size isnt there. He is a bulky guy though who likes to hit and can take hits.....His size is not an issue. Like Derek Roy he plays big. What a wrist shot.....he has an exclent quick release. A scary slap shot, and has a very good backhand. His backhand is very impressive..... Christie also moves very well, has good lateral movement, and can stop and turn on a dime. He has great acceleration and has solid speed. Sick skill level at times and has great hands, He also is creative and has good vision, moves the puck to his linemates with precision. A smallish forward who lacks defensive responsibility well be under the radar, but any team who lands him mid rounds well have them selves a catch. Pavel Datsyuk?

Steve Birnstill: Defense 6-2 202. I have seen this guy 3 times when trying to see what the Sharks 2002 1st rounder Mike Morris is doing. He caught my eye on day one and Every time I study him and i'm impressed. Obviosly he has the NHL size. Just a very very smart player. He has an excelent transition game. His ability to get the puck in his zone and get it out in a heartbeat is impressive....He has so much poise with the puck. He has soft hands and moves the puck extremely well. He has a accurate shot, lacks elite power but is solid. Never seen him score but he hits the post quite a bit. Leader on the ice, and steps up his game when it's crunch time. Likes to make things happen offensivly....Leads the rush down the ice, even forechecks at times...yet he's not risky, he always seems to get back and never leaves his defensive partner hanging. Overall a very smart player who excels at both zones. There are some negatives to his game, mainly his skating. He's overall just a below average skater, doesnt accelerate well, does not move laterally well, he needs to bulk up and learn his positioning a bit...good forwards give him trouble...but people from North Eastern say he's one of the most coachable kids they have and he shows alot of heart. 4th defensman in a good lineup.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
X-Sharkie:

Good posts on Christie and Birnstill. ;)

However, I'll add two things:

1) Birnstill is one of a dozen NCAA players that would need to opt-in to the draft this year. I've seen several NU games this season, and I was very impressed with the way he has played. His transition game, while it is very good, he could a bit quicker. But I love his vision and the fact that he's defensively responsible (for a lack of a better term) as you pointed out.

2) I love Matt Christie, but the $64,000 question will be......how well does he do next season without Derek Edwardson? If you've seen enough Miami-Ohio games this season, you'll notice how Edwardson on several nights was the glue that held his line together. That said, if the RedHawks could find the "right piece of the puzzle" to fill the hole left by Edwardson, the RedHawks top line could be flying once again next season. Christie and Marty Guerin complimented each other nicely, but Edwardson seemed to be the catalyst.

Finally, two other NCAA players I'll add are: Defenseman Kevin Schaefer (BU) and Forward Jake Dowell (Wisconsin). Two players who were very impressive with their respective schools this season. Dowell fought through some serious adversity this season and the way he has is really remarkable.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
X-Shark.

You do a great job speaking about players that you have seen. Thanks for the info, especially when it comes to these unknown players. :yo:

Dr. Holiday: If you have something to add because you have seen the player in person, then do so. If not, and you haven't seen the guy play, then quit trolling. :troll:

I notice how OC, who does a great job covering NCAA agree w/ him regarding 2 of the 3, with the 3rd being in the WHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

X-SHARKIE

montreal said:
Let me guess, another Mckeens writer giving a poster a hard time? :dunno:

I actually have a great relationship with Iian Morrel at McKeens...he knows i'm legit.... I asked him about Doctor HOlliday and said he may be a Redline writer.

I dont mind disagrements one bit...but it's a bit anoying being hawked like this and having to explain my self over and over.

Oilers Chick is probally the top person of all these boards of the NCAA...she does a great job!

DR. Holiday

X-SHARKIE said:
I actually have a great relationship with Iian Morrel at McKeens...he knows i'm legit.... I asked him about Doctor HOlliday and said he may be a Redline writer.

I dont mind disagrements one bit...but it's a bit anoying being hawked like this and having to explain my self over and over.

Oilers Chick is probally the top person of all these boards of the NCAA...she does a great job!

I am not anyone except a person who likes accountability. If someone wants to know about Carson ask Flames Draft Watcher or arron Vickers.
As for Morell if he knows your the real deal when can we plan on seeing your first report on McKeens?
My question is this: How many TV games of Carson did you see this year and spread over what time frame.

I've seen carson play live over 35 times the last 2 years and I would question his ability to compete game in game out. He also doesn't like to play physical at all and consistantly loses one on one battles. He is a guy who maybe once a game will make a nice rush but the majority of the time he has been a major disapointment this year. His hockey sense is also questionable.

X-SHARKIE

DR. Holiday said:
I am not anyone except a person who likes accountability. If someone wants to know about Carson ask Flames Draft Watcher or arron Vickers.
As for Morell if he knows your the real deal when can we plan on seeing your first report on McKeens?
My question is this: How many TV games of Carson did you see this year and spread over what time frame.

I've seen carson play live over 35 times the last 2 years and I would question his ability to compete game in game out. He also doesn't like to play physical at all and consistantly loses one on one battles. He is a guy who maybe once a game will make a nice rush but the majority of the time he has been a major disapointment this year. His hockey sense is also questionable.

Ok....I see were your coming from..... I have done multiple things for McKeens....Check out Wes O'Neils profile, Victor Oreskovich. Chris Zarb. Blair Yaworski....I do USHL and NCAA..... I see those games alot,,,and USHL I do see live.. Same with NCAA.

I have seen Carson 4 times over the past two seasons.

I have also preached to Morrel about A.J. Thelen..... My influences can be seen in Kyle Klubertanz Defensman from Green Bay Gamblers.

Mostly USHL stuff.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Where do you think Blake Wheeler will go? A lot of Wild fans want him but I'm cautious on him.

maximil

Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
I've seen Funk play a couple of times too and I thought he looked great. He's got a really nice all around game. Totally solid.

Edit: I'd be really suprsied if this guy is still on the board after the 3rd round.

X-SHARKIE

I would like to apologize publically to Iain for posting a private conversation of ours publically.....I would also like to ask Kingsfan1 if he could delete his last post so no one else sees what we had to say.

McKeens and specifically Iain is a great company full of good people, I'm sorry I got them into this.... Don't take my stupidity as somthing of theres.

I'm ashamed of my self for posting that email to everyon to see.

Once again I stress that Iain and Mckeens staff in general is nothing but a classy company who have been nothing but great to me. I'm sorry I posted that conversation between me and Iain.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
X-SHARKIE said:
I would like to apologize publically to Iain for posting a private conversation of ours publically.....I would also like to ask Kingsfan1 if he could delete his last post so no one else sees what we had to say.

McKeens and specifically Iain is a great company full of good people, I'm sorry I got them into this.... Don't take my stupidity as somthing of theres.

I'm ashamed of my self for posting that email to everyon to see.

Once again I stress that Iain and Mckeens staff in general is nothing but a classy company who have been nothing but great to me. I'm sorry I posted that conversation between me and Iain.

This is getting incredibly embarrassing for you. Perhaps it's just because you're so young, I don't know. However, your current situation here reminds me of a similar situation here at HF a few years ago, involving one PeterB.

PeterB made all sorts of claims as you have without much proof to back them up. Needless to say, PeterB ain't around anymore.

The moral of the story is, if you don't want to be PeterB v2.0, you better either come with legit proof, or just stop making these claims period and end it. You act as if people should just trust you... maybe they have a legit reason to question your claims, because they want to get information from someone credible, not a kid making up stories.

X-SHARKIE

this is a 100% true statement i'm about to make.

I have spoken with Iain Morrell before, and I have helped with USHL and NCAA players. I'm not lying about helping out McKeens...I didnt help to a great extent aI'm not a full time writer there by any means, I have never had my name published in any article. I wouldnt consider my self a part of team McKeens.
My goal with this thread was to share my opinions on 4 players who have really caught my eye and I wanted to share my thoughts about them....Now this thread has exploded into uneeded drama. I have publicaly made an ass of my self.
I'm 16 years old and mabey I am imature and still think the world evolves around me ect. ect. I've been told that before, But tonight I went to far.... But please people just because i'm 16 dont think i'm an idiot in terms of hockey sense... I've been around the game since I could ride a bike.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
X-SHARKIE said:
this is a 100% true statement i'm about to make.

I have spoken with Iain Morrell before, and I have helped with USHL and NCAA players. I'm not lying about helping out McKeens...I didnt help to a great extent aI'm not a full time writer there by any means, I have never had my name published in any article. I wouldnt consider my self a part of team McKeens.
My goal with this thread was to share my opinions on 4 players who have really caught my eye and I wanted to share my thoughts about them....Now this thread has exploded into uneeded drama. I have publicaly made an ass of my self.
I'm 16 years old and mabey I am imature and still think the world evolves around me ect. ect. I've been told that before, But tonight I went to far.... But please people just because i'm 16 dont think i'm an idiot in terms of hockey sense... I've been around the game since I could ride a bike.

You're missing the point ENTIRELY.

It's not a question about your hockey sense. It's a question about whether or not you get to see these players you claim to. In your bio, you state that you're limited re: travel. But on the boards you explain you have tapes sent to you of all these prospects. It's incredibly hard to believe a 16 year old on the internet who claims to see so many prospects via tapes that are sent to him. Who the hell sends all these tapes to a 16 year old?

This is why people question your crediblity. And they have every reason to.

X-SHARKIE

Oh.....well this conversation of my credibility has been beaten to death and I have answered it to many times....Heres a post that I spent about 5 minutes on just explaining the proccess of this.
People are nicer then you think, if you ask for a tape in return for somthing they need, there willing to help :) Expecially the locals in Moncton..

Just to explain how I get my tapes, So this conversation officially ends. I'll explain.
I have a family friend who lives just south of ThunderBay. He's a huge huge junior hockey fan. He's retired and travels alot and sees many games him self, plus he's childhood best friends with Dan Nairn, one of there scouts. Scouts watch tapes to, He also told Rick, thats my familys friends name btw, he told Rick how he gets his tapes, so in turn he either gets tapes him self or from Dan, I get them usually to me about one-two months after the game has been played on average. That's how I get my CHL tapes. I see alot of Europeans from two ways.
Theres the WJC. The WU18, ect. So I see them that way, but mostly I get my tapes of guys like Ovechkin,Michalek,Lisin,Zherdev ect. over the past two years Rick has met some very nice people from accross the seas and in exchange for tapes of NHL games he gets tapes of games with top prospects in return. Rick has attended the WJC last year, not the 2001 though, and the 2000. I hope this clarifys things.
Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to make sure you guys do understand that i've seen these guys play. I'm just lucky to know the right people. The tapes I get aren't up to date, but I still get a good read of the players.
So lets recap: I get CHL games from the Wolves scouting department when there all done with them and Rick has seen them.
I get Europe games in exchange for NHL games. Because they only get 1 or so Games a week of the NHL and it's at bad times. So both sides work it out.
NCAA: I simply just ask people on these boards and other boards who live across the country to tape a game for me, I usually give them 7$ or so. I also attend many Badger games.
USHL: I live just a few hours from Green Bay, I go see many Gambler games, I saw 20 last season. This year i'm very high on a kid name Nate Dey, Could be a steal after the 5th round.
AHL: I live near Milwaukee and I see some Admril games as well.
Fedornet is right though, I should give Mckeens more credit, I do look to them to make sure i'm not saying hog wash. I dont want to go oooo he's playing good defense this kid is a two way forward, and find out he was just hustling that one nite and other nites he's nothing. Ect. So I do use Mckeens to help base my opinions..
Local tv networks televise games...durring the playoff push of every year Canadien Juniors televsion scheadule sky rockets. So it's easy to get those.
And I dont comment on a player I havent seen...earlier this year I was asked about Rostislav Olesz and didnt comment on him because I never saw him play, then I saw him play at this years WJC's and I saw what all the fuss was about.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Since Sharkie is just 16 and obviously a very big hockey fan whose analyses make for an interesting read at the very least, why not cut him a little slack? This is not a paysite and Sharkie isn't writing for a newspaper. He may not have seen some of the prospects enough to make sweeping claims but who does? And in fact Sharkie has made fewer such sweeping claims recently, which increases his credibility IMO. Moreover, he does say worthwhile, reasonably original and accurate things about many players (esp. NCAA, USHL).

I think what bothers some people about Sharkie is that he uses the lingo of hockey writers to a degree that is almost cliche- it makes it look like he got the notes and quotes from another official scouting site, so it comes off a little pretentiously (example note to Sharkie- you are 16, so please don't call guys who are older than you 'kid'). But I think he's legit- for a poster on an open website.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
I didn't even bother reading your post aside from the first few lines. You obviously don't get it.

You can sit here and explain, explain, explain as you have. This is not proof. These are just more words coming out of your already questionable mouth. Sick of explaining it over and over? Then ignore everyone who questions you.

I'm just giving you fair warning. DR. Holiday isn't the only one who questions your credibility. You can campaign for his banning all you want, there'll always be more who do not believe your story. Either own up or ignore them.

X-SHARKIE

By no means Do I have a grudge against Dr.Holliday....I' by no means look down upon others for viewing against me.... Why Bann a man from this site for disagreeing with me? Theres millions of disagrements that go on here. I just thought it was irritating him hawking my posts..but I listen to his disagrements and I aprreciate it when he backs up is arguaments.

I plan on sending a good buddy a tape of the top prospets game soon once I can copy it..... Once he gets it and confirms it would that make you happy?

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
steblick said:
Since Sharkie is just 16 and obviously a very big hockey fan whose analyses make for an interesting read at the very least, why not cut him a little slack? This is not a paysite and Sharkie isn't writing for a newspaper. He may not have seen some of the prospects enough to make sweeping claims but who does? And in fact Sharkie has made fewer such sweeping claims recently, which increases his credibility IMO. Moreover, he does say worthwhile, reasonably original and accurate things about many players (esp. NCAA, USHL).

I think what bothers some people about Sharkie is that he uses the lingo of hockey writers to a degree that is almost cliche- it makes it look like he got the notes and quotes from another official scouting site, so it comes off a little pretentiously (example note to Sharkie- you are 16, so please don't call guys who are older than you 'kid'). But I think he's legit- for a poster on an open website.

That's the difference between PeterB's situation and Sharkie's. PeterB was actually affiliated with HF. Sharkie is not, he's just a poster on the boards. That's why he's still around, as it's not a very big deal. However, in an earlier post that he later deleted (smart choice), he did make it seem that he was affiliated with McKeen's in some way. This is where Sharkie started to tread muddy waters, and where he could get himself in trouble.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
X-SHARKIE said:
Once he gets it and confirms it would that make you happy?

Personally, I could care less. I rather like the drama, but yes, I'm sure it'd silence your critics if your presented some proof.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
Postman said:
Personally, I could care less. I rather like the drama, but yes, I'm sure it'd silence your critics if your presented some proof.

just for the record, x-sharkie has been generous to send me a couple of tapes over the past few months, he sent me a London game so I could see Schremp! I find his comments to be insightful and in most cases--extremely accurate! He is also a great guy, Thanks again X-sharkie

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Postman said:

But words mean nothing, correct? What do you want? Him to send you a tape? An anonymous poster to back him up? You will just claim that he made the account himself on a different ip, etc. Fact of the matter is, asking for hard proof on a message board is asinine. It seems the only way he can satisfy you is if he provides an article with his name on it, which he has clearly stated he is not on :dunno:.

I also say, who cares? This is a freaking message board, if you come here expecting every word to be truth, then you have a wake up call coming to you. I'm a poster here.......do I need to send you proof when I offer analysis???? If not, then cut the kid some slack. He studies up on his hockey, and even if he is refurbishing or passing along things he has heard, its new to me and alot of other people, who do not get the material he gets.

:teach:

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Enoch said:
But words mean nothing, correct? What do you want? Him to send you a tape? An anonymous poster to back him up? You will just claim that he made the account himself on a different ip, etc. Fact of the matter is, asking for hard proof on a message board is asinine. It seems the only way he can satisfy you is if he provides an article with his name on it, which he has clearly stated he is not on :dunno:.

When you start making claims to writing or even having the slightist connection to another scouting service (which he does not), then that's where he starts to make himself look less credible.

If you notice, I've only started to comment on all this AFTER he did so. And as I said before, I could care less if he provides proof, I don't need any. I take almost everything I read on these boards with a grain of salt, regardless. But if he wants to silence people like DR. Holiday, it's good to have someone (like JNRhockeyGURU above) backing you up. Either that, or to ignore DR. Holiday completely, instead of getting himself in more trouble as he did last night.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Postman said:
When you start making claims to writing or even having the slightist connection to another scouting service (which he does not), then that's where he starts to make himself look less credible.

If you notice, I've only started to comment on all this AFTER he did so. And as I said before, I could care less if he provides proof, I don't need any. I take almost everything I read on these boards with a grain of salt, regardless. But if he wants to silence people like DR. Holiday, it's good to have someone (like JNRhockeyGURU above) backing you up. Either that, or to ignore DR. Holiday completely, instead of getting himself in more trouble as he did last night.

Okay, I believe I understand your point. I just get a little disturbed when I see people cut down for offering quite insightful analysis. Since that is not the case here, then I have no issue with you :).

Oh, and the part I bolded in your quote = Most important part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad