2004 Entry Draft - Reloaded

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Green isn't a player you build a team around either. You knock off several key players from CGY in your example. Meanwhile, there are several players ahead of Green on his own team that are better/more valuable to the team, and would be more painful to lose.. Ovy, Backstrom, Semin, etc hell, even Carlson.

And its not even about "hate" as i still have him as a top 10 pick. If i had him in the 2nd round or something i can see your point.

See, you prove here that you really don't know much about Green's game, or his value. He's easily more valuable to the team than Carlson and Semin, and he's close to Backstrom. He's a one-man transition game. When he's out, the Caps' transition game goes to ****. It's so underrated how well he can move the puck out of his own zone. Want to see what not having a transition game out of the back-end does to a hockey team? Look at New Jersey this season.

Yes, having him behind Blake Wheeler and Andrew Ladd is just hating. I guarantee you that in hindsight, every single GM in the league would take him 3rd in that draft.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
See, you prove here that you really don't know much about Green's game, or his value. He's easily more valuable to the team than Carlson and Semin, and he's close to Backstrom. He's a one-man transition game. When he's out, the Caps' transition game goes to ****. It's so underrated how well he can move the puck out of his own zone. Want to see what not having a transition game out of the back-end does to a hockey team? Look at New Jersey this season.

Yes, having him behind Blake Wheeler and Andrew Ladd is just hating. I guarantee you that in hindsight, every single GM in the league would take him 3rd in that draft.

Not sure about hating.

More like complete ignorance, I'd say.

Seriously. Green behind Wheeler or Ladd ? This board never ceases to amaze me. :shakehead

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
1. 1 Alexander Ovechkin
2. 2 Evgeni Malkin
3. 20 Travis Zajac
4. 97 Johan Franzen
5. 4 Andrew Ladd
6. 5 Blake Wheeler
7. 21 Wojtek Wolski
8. 258 Pekka Rinne
9. 29 Mike Green
10. 262 Mark Streit
11. 13 Drew Stafford
12. 91 Alexander Edler
13. 7 Rostislav Olesz
14. 134 Kris Versteeg
15. 60 Brandon Dubinsky
16. 53 David Booth
17. 61 Alex Goligoski
18. 63 David Krejci
19. 3 Cam Barker
20. 56 Nicklas Grossman
21. 127 Ryan Callahan
22. 26 Cory Schneider
23. 23Andrej Meszaros
24. 150 Mikhail Grabovski
25. 176 Patrick Kaleta
26. 47 Blake Comeau
27. 32 Dave Bolland
28. 27 Jeff Schultz
29. 214 Troy Brouwer
30. 94 Thomas Greiss
31. 9 Ladislav Smid
32. 99 Tyler Kennedy
33. 19 Lauri Korpikoski
34. 28 Mark Fistric
35. 87 Peter Regin
36. 102 Mike Lundin
37. 14 Devan Dubnyk
38. 50 Enver Lisin
39. 224 Matt Hunwick
40. 70 Brandon Prust

Krejci and Wheeler are on the same team, Krejci is much better player, yet he is 18 and Wheeler is 6?

What has Drew Stafford done to be ahead of Edler or Krejci or Meszaros?

Meszaros is very underappreciated defenseman.

Edler is TOP 5 player from this draft.

Ladd and Wolski are too high. Same with Barker who isn't close to Grossman or Meszaros at this point.

Smid is a decent defensive defenseman, should be higher.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
How can you say this:
Players like Lisin move up almost solely on the fact that there are guys picked ahead of him that played 0 NHL games. He may not have been great, but playing over 100 games is better than most of his other companions drafted around him.

and then say this:

Agreed, but to an NHL team, that means little.

When they're both playing in the KHL, and in Lisin's case, it's because he wasn't good enough to play in the NHL?

No one would draft Lisin if the draft was redone.

I also am not really sold that Zajac has more room to grow, he's kind of at the point where most players don't magically get a lot better. He put up pretty good numbers playing with a great winger, and is a very good defensive guy, but I don't see him breaking 80 points and being a truly top first line center or anything

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Boy the Rangers botched another first round with Korpikoski and Montoya but made up for it in rounds 2 and 4 with Dubinsky and Callahan.

And I think those draft positions are pretty accurate from the op. Mike Green has to be the top 5. Olesz is to high and I think Callahan might be a few higher considering the complete player has become. Other than that not to bad.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
1. Ovechkin
2. Malkin
3. Green
4. Krejci
5. Zajac
6. Radulov
7. Franzen
8. Edler
9. Streit
10. Dubinsky