2004 draft...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
It was widely rumoured leading up to the 2004 draft that it would be a weak one. that held true for the most part. However, even a weak draft would reap some very good players. Maybe O'Niell sliped too far down, but there are lots of players that slipped and with much better upside than O'Niell.

TeamPlayer

Jan 11, 2003
Puckhead said:
It was widely rumoured leading up to the 2004 draft that it would be a weak one. that held true for the most part. However, even a weak draft would reap some very good players. Maybe O'Niell sliped too far down, but there are lots of players that slipped and with much better upside than O'Niell.

For Example?

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
BlackJack21 said:
Just to start: Anybondy know why Wes O'Neil felt that down?

Well I got to watch him a bit at the World Junior Camp and what stood out was that he was one of the least agile guys out there. Not very smooth pivoting and turning and didn't have a great first couple steps. He'll need to improve that if he wants to play in the NHL or he'll be burned by quick forwards.

His decision making didn't seem to be terrible to me but neither did he stand out as much as most of the other guys who were taken higher. Certainly guys like Rogers, Schultz, Fistric and Green looked a heckuva lot more impressive.

I think you could make an argument he would have been a decent 3rd rounder but he certainly didn't look nearly as good as the guys who went late 1st round or early 2nd to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->