2004 Draft - stock increase/decrease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Kritty said:
That's not the Jordan Foote I've seen over the last two seasons. He has average footspeed at best, lacks hockey sense, and really has struggled to play the college game. If he has "insane speed", I sure haven't seen it. I don't understand why the coaching staff at Tech likes this kid, he seems like a plug from what I've seen. Unless a major change in his play happens, he is destined for the minors.

That's what he was drafted on. His speed and defense and it was reported over and over that those were his only redeeming qualities. So, that's kind of disapointing to hear, haha.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
NJ only has two worthy selections in 2004 with Zajac and Eckford, both playing NCAA this year.

Zajac - I say a lot about Zajac in the past year or so but everything I see with him shows me he will be a much better player then Parise at the NHL level. I remember seeing in the paper that one scout said he is a bigger stronger version of Parise.

Eckford - Has really impressed many this year for Alaska Fairbanks. It wouldn't be out of line to say he has been one of their top 2 defensmen all year. He is big, fairly physical, and has good offensive instincts.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
BobbyClarkeFan16 said:
101) Michael "RJ" Anderson - 13 games 0 points at the University of Minnesota so far this year. Compared favorably to Jordan Leopold. He was Minnesota High School Hockey Player of the Year, but hasn't been able to transition his success from High School to the NCAA. Will wait another year to see if he shows any inkling of an offensive game. As of right now, down the list he goes.

RJ is short for Rajon, his name

and he is getting more and more ice time, as Coach Lucia is really digging his effort and development...look for him to work the power play as the year goes on

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
There are a lot of homers in this thread.

It is very unlikely that 75% of the prospects from the 2004 has had their stock increase.

Please don't confuse natural (and expected) progress with an increase in stock.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
For the Flames I think...
Boyd - 3rd rounder - Currently 2nd in WHL scoring
Cracknell - 9th rounder - Currently 6th in WHL scoring as an overager
are the only ones who've noticely improved their stock

Erik

Jul 28, 2004
Tampa, FL
30 Andy Rogers: Up. Nearly made the team as a 19 year old.
191 Karri Ramo: UP. One of the steals of the draft. Leading SM-Liiga in a bunch of statistical categories this year, and will be Finland's #1 goalie at the WJC.
245 Justin Keller: Way up. Scoring very well in the WHL.

65 Mark Tobin: Even
102 Mike Lundin: I'm not too sure what to think of Lundin.
158 Brandon Elliott: Down
163 Dusty Collins: Down, though expectations weren't too high, and he's still in college.

KINGLEWOOD

Apr 6, 2003
INGLEWOOD, CA
Visit site
KINGS

1. Lauri Tukonen 11th (up) Hes adjusted well in the AHL, and is showing he could be a power foward. Still only 19.

2. Paul Baier 95th (even) He's playing a big role on D for Brown University, he definetly has NHL upside.

3. Ned Lukacevic 110th (even) He's got awesome speed and skill but has been inconsistant on bad WHL teams.

4. Eric Neilson 143rd (down) Many expected him to be in the AHL this season but he's been sent to the ECHL to play the enforcer role.

5. Scott Parse 174th (up) Currently leading the NCAA in scoring, Parse looks like a late round find who is ready for a contract.

6. Mike Curry 205th (down) Not much is known about Curry, he hasn't added the offense that he was known for.

7. Dannny Taylor 221st (up) Slightly, he's been given the opportunity for a #1 spot for Kingston of the OHL, and has shown a good save %.

8. Yutaka Fukufuji 238th (up) Recently promoted to the AHL, he's getting a longer at by the organization.

9. Valteri Tenkanen 264th (even) Not much is expected of him but he has been playing regularly in the Finnish Elite league.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Jovanovski = Norris said:
There are a lot of homers in this thread.

It is very unlikely that 75% of the prospects from the 2004 has had their stock increase.

Please don't confuse natural (and expected) progress with an increase in stock.

I agree. For example, Bolland has played well but it was expected, same for our other high picks. Someone like Brouwer who was taken in the 7th round and caught fire this year leading the WHL in scoring would be the type that saw their stock increase. Of course, just because a 7th rounders stock increases, does not mean he will make the NHL. I am looking forwrd to seeing how Brouwer does at Norfolk next year though.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Coyotes draft class 04

119th - Kevin Porter - Capn of Team USA and showing plenty of offense in addition to a strong two way game.
265th - Daniel Winnik - Had 4 goals in 37 games when drafted - jumped to a 40 point year and again a top scorer this year.

Both look very solid prospects who have definitely exceeded expectations.

The rest stay the same or downgraded.

Stephenson 35th - Mean dman showing offensive potential but development is as expected.
Lisin 50th - Again developing as expected.
Tomanek 103rd - Disappointing ever since his shedload of goals in a junior tourney made him a popular sleeper pre-draft.
Cormier 168 - Dominant fighter but he was picked high.
Kolarik 199 - Skilled player doing well but questionable NHL potential
Gagnon 240 - All-rounder, very valuable to his team but again questionable potential
Engasser 261 - no real news.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Chipchura- down
Yemelin- Positively Even (in that he's above average in terms of expectations)
Wyman- Down I'd say for now. Plenty of time t put it together
Grabovsky- Up by a small margin.
Streit- Positively even.
Loic-Lacasse: Down
Gleed- Even. Nothing spectacular, steady in his zone.
Stewart- Even. He'll eventually be a good depth guy.
Dulac-Lemelin- Down

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
WILDTATE10 said:
11. Anton Khudobin - Up

If Anton Khudobin's stock has risen, I can't imagine how low it must have been in the past.

He stunk up the WJHC last year, was awful at the Canada Russia Challenge last week and has lost his starting job in Saskatoon to a 17 year old. It would be a stretch at this point to project him as a potential AHL calibre goalie. If he stays in NA, he'll be an East Coaster for life.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Erik said:
191 Karri Ramo: UP. One of the steals of the draft. Leading SM-Liiga in a bunch of statistical categories this year, and will be Finland's #1 goalie at the WJC.

Yeah by far the steal of the draft so far. Right now (and last year) he looks more like a 1st round pick

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
psycho_dad said:
Yeah by far the steal of the draft so far. Right now (and last year) he looks more like a 1st round pick

Um, no. I would think a guy drafted 36 picks later, who is already a good NHL defenceman eating up some pretty important minutes and contributing offensively gets that title ahead of Ramo.

Belgian Fan

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
I'll have a crack at the Avs:

21 Wojtek Wolski (-)

As expected for a first round pick. He looks like he'll be ready to be full time in the NHL next year (despite what Mr. Sutter thinks of him :p: )

55 Victor Oreskovich (down)

His stock is down. He was one of the youngest players picked that year I believe and has failed to impress in the College at Notre Dame (he was even in the press box from time to time this season). He was always seen as a long term prject that needed time to pan out but it looked grim this season for him. He recently signed for the Kitchener Rangers though and it seems all might not be lost as he played well in his first few outings.

72 Denis Parshin (-)

His stats aren't impressive but that's not the end of the world when playing in Russia. Don't think his stock has gone up though, developing as expected (his flaw being that he doesn't posess blinding speed to make up for his lack of size). I'm sure Kaizer will tell you more

154 Richard Demen-Willaume (down)

Doesn't look as a likely future NHLer right now I believe.

184 Derek Peltier (-)

Playing for the deep Gophers team, had decent stats in his rookie year but is a bit lost in the shuffle it seems right now. He looked solid but didn't stand out at all when I saw them. I think he's not yet looking like an NHL player for sure but he's done pretty good for a sixth rounder.

215 Ian Keserich (down)

He's not having a great collegiate career thus far. Very long shot at making it so probably his stock is down.

239 Brandon Yip (up)

A good rookie year for BU thus far, he looks very skilled and fast. But his toughness was always going to be the problem if he'll make it to the big boys. I'd still say he has a shot which means his stock is up considering he was pick #239.

249 J.D. Corbin (-)

Playing at Denver and is solid, not great. Don't think much has changed for his outlook.

281 Stephen McClellan (-)

Not really setting the world alight at Northeastern University.

Erik

Jul 28, 2004
Tampa, FL
Le Golie said:
Um, no. I would think a guy drafted 36 picks later, who is already a good NHL defenceman eating up some pretty important minutes and contributing offensively gets that title ahead of Ramo.

Agreed, Chris Campoli is the steal of the draft without question at this point.

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Chipchura- even
Yemelin- up
Wyman- same
Grabovsky- Up
Streit- even
Loic-Lacasse: Down
Gleed- Even.
Stewart- Even
Dulac-Lemelin- Down

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Le Golie said:

Thats true. Ok, lets say Rämö is the second biggest steal ;)

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Le Golie said:
If Anton Khudobin's stock has risen, I can't imagine how low it must have been in the past.

He stunk up the WJHC last year, was awful at the Canada Russia Challenge last week and has lost his starting job in Saskatoon to a 17 year old. It would be a stretch at this point to project him as a potential AHL calibre goalie. If he stays in NA, he'll be an East Coaster for life.

Khudobin was low. I think he'll work on his weaknesses and will work out. Remember Schwarz?

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Frenzy1 said:
For the Blues:

1st. Marek Schwarz - DOWN - he isn't getting enough playing time this year in the Check Repub. This will hurt his development.

2nd. Carl Soderberg - UP - leads the tier two in points. Hope the Blues bring him over next year.

3. Victor Alexandrov - UP - Playing very well in the RSL.

4. Michal Birner - Down - Started out the season with a bang, but has slowed down a bit. 40pts in 26 games.

5. Nikita Nikitin - UP - At 19 is playing a regular shift in the RSL.

6. Roman Polak - Neutral - Don't really know much about him since he left and returned to Europe.

7. David Fredrikson - Neutral - Big forward w/ limited scoring potential.

8. Jon Boutin - I think we dumped his rights. He was born in 84 and we didn't pick him up this past summer when he came out.

Agree on Schwarz, in that he's not getting enough playing time in the Czech Republic. He needs to be in camp next year, and playing in Peoria if he can't win an NHL roster spot. Ditto for Konstantin Barulin (2003 draft pick).

Disagree on Birner; 40 points in 26 games is very, very good, and Kekalainen is still praising his work habits and grit. I would look for Birner to be in camp next September, and playing a regular shift in Peoria thereafter.

You're correct on Boutin; he was invited to camp without a contract, but was dropped pretty quickly. I spoke with his coach last season, and he couldn't say enough about Boutin's work ethic and desire, but I guess the Blues weren't impressed with the skills or whatever else he brought to the table in camp.

P_B

:bow: :blues

devilman

Feb 27, 2002
Burn Berne
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Minnesota:

12/ AJ Thelen - Down
42/ Roman Voloshenko - Up
78/ Peter Olvecky - Stay
79/ Calyton Stoner- Up
111/ Ryan Jones- ???
114/ Patrick Bordeleau - ???
117/ Julien Sprunger - Down
161/ Jean Claude Sawyer - Up
175/ Aaron Boogaard - Down
195/ Jean-Michel Rizk - Up
206/ Anton Khudobin - Up
272/ Kyle Wilson - Up

What makes u think Sprunger down? He's having a great season with HC Fribourg Gotteron, he begins to score on a regular basis:

GP 26 G 11 A 9 P 20 PIM 30

in the last 13 games he had 16 points after a mediocore start of the season. A scout of the wild saw him play and he said that he needs to work on his skating, otherwise he liked what he saw (quote from Blick, largest newspaper her in Switzerland)

Erik

Jul 28, 2004
Tampa, FL
Honus Joglund said:
You know that for sure or is that your opinion?

It's pretty much the general consensus. They'll split some time, but Ramo being more experienced will probably get the most, unless he plays himself out of the starting spot.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
12/ AJ Thelen
42/ Roman Voloshenko
78/ Peter Olvecky
79/ Calyton Stoner
111/ Ryan Jones
114/ Patrick Bordeleau
117/ Julien Sprunger
161/ Jean Claude Sawyer
175/ Aaron Boogaard
195/ Jean-Michel Rizk
206/ Anton Khudobin
272/ Kyle Wilson

-I looked at this list and my immediate reaction is: WHAT A PILE OF CRAP! [with the exception of Voloshenko and possibly Thelen and Olvecky, of course] :badidea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->