2004 Draft - stock increase/decrease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
It is I agree to early to start a thread asking to redo the 2004 draft. However, I searched the forum, and couldn't find any thread taling about the players selected in rounds 2-to-9.

Are there players whose stock has increased since the draft day?

For Montreal, I can say that Mikhail Grabovsky stock is probably higher than it used to be (5th round), and that Alexei Yemelin did well last year in the RSL and has currently about the same stats than his teamate and Leafs prospect Dmitry Vorobiev (5th round 2004).

So tell me what is your opinion please.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Kafka said:
It is I agree to early to start a thread asking to redo the 2004 draft. However, I searched the forum, and couldn't find any thread taling about the players selected in rounds 2-to-9.

Are there players whose stock has increased since the draft day?

For Montreal, I can say that Mikhail Grabovsky stock is probably higher than it used to be (5th round), and that Alexei Yemelin did well last year in the RSL and has currently about the same stats than his teamate and Leafs prospect Dmitry Vorobiev (5th round 2004).

So tell me what is your opinion please.
from the leafs Vorobiev's stock has risen substatially with his strong play in the RSL as well as at the WJC last year.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
For the Penguins :
2 Evgeny Malkin
Up, up and up. The guy could be something else.

31 Johannes Salmonsson
After going up in the WJC, where he was rather impressive, his stock has fallen a bit in Spokane, where he is not on the scoresheet enough.

61 Alex Goligoski
Way, way up. When his name was called, everyone went "WHAT?, WHO?". After his freshman year, nobody was wondering who he was. A great pick.

67 Nick Johnson
Up.

85 Brian Gifford
Don't know much.

99 Tyler Kennedy
Up.

130 Michal Sersen
I still like this pick, but I'm not sure it will pan out.

164 Moises Gutierrez
Pretty much what was expected from him.

194 Chris Peluso
Not a lot of news.

222 Jordan Morrison
Up.

228 David Brown
I'd say down.

259 Brian Ihnacak
After a very impressive year last year stats wise, I haven't heard much about him this year.

X-SHARKIE

For the Sharks, Lukas Kaspar stock has sagged IMO, he has some nights where he looks briliant but they are every 2 games out of 10 games it seams...very frustrating..His stock is down.

Thomas Greiss taken in the 3rd round, is the best goalie in the DEL already at the age of 20, he's been brilliant all year. I've seen him my self and he has shades of Kiprusoff in him.

Torrey Mitchell, 4th round, should also go up, he has 22 points in 15 NCAA games this year as a sophmore.

Steven Zalewski same, solid two way center.

Michael Vernace is up, putting up some numbers in the OHL.

Everyone else is pretty much down though IMO.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
For the Oilers I would say:

Dubnyk - down. Some people disagree saying he's on a terrible team, but any time he plays more high profile games (WJC camps, Soviet - CHL games etc) he seems to disappoint.

Schremp - up. Even if you're not a fan... He's got great talent for a late 1st round pick.

Paukovich - down (although there are rumblings he might make USA WJ team... I can't see why he would though).

Liam Reddox, Stephane Goulet - slightly up. Are still prospects to watch a year and a half later... not too bad for where they were drafted.

The rest:probably slightly down over all

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
For the Rangers:

36. Darin Olver - As Expected
48. Dane Byers - Down a tad
51. Bruce Graham - As Expected
60. Brandon Dubinsky - Up Up & Up again. - Top 5 Scorer in the WHL, Plays a complete game now, also has an edge to his game.
73. Zdenek Bahensky - Up - Big winger, top 10 Scorer in the WHL
80. Billy Ryan - Up Up - Leading Scorer on Maine, Top 5 Scorer in Hockey East.
127. Ryan Callahan - Up Up - Top 5 Goal Scorer in the OHL, plays a physcial game.
135. Roman Psurny - Up a bit - Playing solid hockey in the WHL, almost a point a game player.
169. Jordan Foote - Down
247. Jonathan Paiement - Up - Solid defensman who is racking up points in the QMJHL, stock definitly up considering hes a 247th overall pick.
266. Jakub Petruzalek - Down

Looking like a very good draft year for the Rangers so far.

edit- decided to explain why players were up for some babies on the board.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
All {fill in my team}'s prospects who they drafted in 2004 are up

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
13. Drew Stafford. Down slightly based on inconsistant play. May be turning the corner?

43. Michael Funk. Even. Flashes of brillance, flashes of incompetance.

71. Andrej Sekera. Up. Taking the OHL by storm and may be more than just an smaller specialty player.

145. Michal Valent. Even. No news though did have a good record last year.

176. Patrick Kaleta. Up slightly. Disruptive checker is adding enough junior level scoring to suggest he can contribute as a pro.

207. Mark Mancari. Up. Was a force his overage year which parlayed itself into a rookie contract with Buffalo. Playing very strong in Rochester getting a lot of ice time due to callups and injuries.

241. Mike Card. Even.

273 Dylan Hunter. Up slightly. Gaudy junior numbers but I question his impact as a pro.

Vic Rattlehead*

Krejci and Walter for Boston have seen their stock go up. Karsums would have, but his injury derailed him last year.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
For the Florida Panthers, Rostislav Olesz's stock is definately up. This guy is a beast in the NHL. Not necessarily in terms of output, but he is one of the smartest players I have seen. Always makes the right play and is pretty comfortable with the puck.

I would say Shantz's stock is down though. Especially considering Plante is ahead of him on our prospect depth chart.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Andrej Meszaros - 23rd overall: Up. Can't believe he fell to 23rd to begin with.

Kiril Lyamin - 58th overall: Same, maybe down a bit. Couldn't crack the big league team last year because of NHL players, but has made it this year. Hopefully will play at WJC's. Stock has maybe fallen a bit.

Shawn Weller - 77th overall: Same. Still relatively unknown, although he's putting up good numbers in College.

Peter Regin - 87th overall: Up. He's got potential and has moved to the SEL this year.

Jeff Glass - 89th overall: Up. Wins gold with Canada at WJC's and has looked solid in the ECHL and the AHL (Binghamton isn't good this year).

Alexander Nikulin - 122nd overall: Up. He's actually putting up better numbers than Alexie Kaigorodov this year.

Jim McKenzie - 141st overall: Same. Keeps putting up solid numbers in college.

Roman Wick - 156th overall: Up. Despite rough start, would still climb because of last year.

Joe Cooper - 219th overall: Down. Who?

I don't feel like doing the last two picks, they're probably the same.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
SensGuy said:
Kiril Lyamin - 58th overall: Same, maybe down a bit. Couldn't crack the big league team last year because of NHL players, but has made it this year. Hopefully will play at WJC's. Stock has maybe fallen a bit.
He couldn't crack lineup because he missed training camp and he missed training camp becaues he had troubles with his visa. Stock hasn't fallen, Imo ;)

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
luongofan said:
For the Florida Panthers, Rostislav Olesz's stock is definately up. This guy is a beast in the NHL. Not necessarily in terms of output, but he is one of the smartest players I have seen. Always makes the right play and is pretty comfortable with the puck.

I would say Shantz's stock is down though. Especially considering Plante is ahead of him on our prospect depth chart.
Olesz has been immense, but Shantz's stock is probably going up right now again, since he was traded to the Petes, he has been pretty solid.
Booth's stock is very low right now though, hasnt done that much and considering he was 20 when drafted, i can see him just slowly sliding down the prospect chart.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Kaizer said:
He couldn't crack lineup because he missed training camp and he missed training camp becaues he had troubles with his visa. Stock hasn't fallen, Imo ;)
Oh, ok. Yeah, us Sens fans have had a hard time getting any info about him. Will he be at the WJC's?

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Seriously lets get a grip, some people seem to think almost every player their favorite team drafted is up.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Swedish players:

Round Overall Team Player
2 #31 Pittsburgh Johannes Salmonsson down
2 #34 Dallas Johan Fransson down
2 #49 St. Louis Carl Söderberg up
2 #56 Dallas Nicklas Grossman -
3 #91 Vancouver Alexander Edler up
3 #97 Detroit Johan Franzén up
4 #104 Dallas Fredrik Näslund -
5 #132 Washington Oscar Hedman -
5 #137 Carolina Magnus Ã…kerlund -
5 #154 Colorado Richard Demén-Willaume down
6 #182 Calgary Fred Wikner down
6 #192 Detroit Anton Axelsson up
7 #210 NY Islanders Emil Axelsson down
7 #211 St. Louis David Fredriksson -
8 #255 Boston Anton Hedman up
9 #274 Edmonton Björn Bjurling down
9 #284 Ottawa John Wikner -
9 #290 Detroit Nils Bäckström -

Last edited:

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
29th Mike Green
stock way up

'04-'05 leads the WHL dmen in scoring
'05-'06 had a tremendous preseason, has played decent in his call ups to DC

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Minnesota:

12/ AJ Thelen - Down
42/ Roman Voloshenko - Up
78/ Peter Olvecky - Stay
79/ Calyton Stoner- Up
111/ Ryan Jones- ???
114/ Patrick Bordeleau - ???
117/ Julien Sprunger - Down
161/ Jean Claude Sawyer - Up
175/ Aaron Boogaard - Down
195/ Jean-Michel Rizk - Up
206/ Anton Khudobin - Up
272/ Kyle Wilson - Up

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Habs

Kyle Chipchura- 18th- down injury cost him most of last year and goals are hard to come by in Prince Albert.

Alexi Emelin- 84th- up last year he mostly sat on the bench in the RSL but he did get to play in the RSL's championship game and looked solid. He's very aggressive physically and is enjoying a very good year with Lada, top scoring defensemen on the team and leads the team in pims with 81 in 27 games.

J T Wyman- 100th- same? Had success in the USHS but his freshman year at Dartmouth he struggled a bit. Is having a solid season so far this year, on pace to double last years numbers and is seeing an increased role with the team.

Mikhail Grabovsky- 150th up Had a breakout year last season with Neftekhimik as their top scorer and one of the top 20 or so scorers in the league. Also played well at the WC's for Belarus. Has had trouble scoring this year it appears after leaving Neftek for Dyanmo. Small but very fast with good hands.

Loic Lacasse- 181st way down I doubt he would get drafted this time around, lost his starting job to Dupont last year, guess he got it back this year, started off ok but from what I hear it's not going too well lately on a bad Drakkar team.

Jon Gleed- 212th down Solid defensive defensmen but hasn't progressed since being drafted and is not having a great season so far this year.

Greg Stewart- 246th up Good engery guy, works hard, plays physical, good speed but not much upside imo.

Mark Streit- 262nd up Struggling in the NHL but I would think most gm's would be happy to get a depth defensemen that can play in the NHL. I'm not saying he would go in the 4th round, but when your one of the last picks of the draft and your in the NHL after a great WC's, you can only go up even if it's the 7th round.

Alex Dulac-Lemelin- 278th down Big defensmen is on the slow side not a good combo these days.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Oilers outside round 1:
Roman Tesliuk- Down. Showed up for NHL camp out of shape, didn't impress. Played fairly well in junior but nothing exceptional. Conditioning apparently a problem.

Geoff Paukovich - Down. Not delivering close to the promise of draft day when the Oilers sent Chimera away with a pick to move up and take him.

Liam Reddox- Flat. Slow starter has skill but hasn't taken a step forward since draft day.

Bryan Young - Up. Very good young prospect. Guy Flaming has some nice things to say on the Oiler segment of the HF front page if you're interested.

Max Gordichuk - Down. I believe he's pretty much NP.

Stephane Goulet - Up. Very good draft and follow pick has emerged as a legit prospect.

Tyler Spurgeon - Down. Has been injured this season and is losing developmental time. This is the player type the Oilers have had success with in the past and it isn't over but he needs to get healthy.

Bjorn Bjurling - predatore says down that's good enough for me.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Blackshad said:
That's what i was thinkin.
Most of the fan here are homers.

what we should do is have fans from one team pick a team in the other conference(you can go on current standings team like Ottawa fans rate Detroits picks and visa versa because both are #1) and rate there draft picks

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Devils :
20 C Travis Zajac
Solid 2-way player in North Dakota, great the 1st year, more defensive role the 2nd. Great pick, as predicted. Same.

155 D Alexander Mikhailishin
Currently injured. Down.

185 G Josh Disher
NJ wanted to sign him after training camp but he didn't want. Returned to OHL, inconsistant. With the play of Doyle, Frazee, Smith, don't know what are the plans for him. Same.

216 L Pierre-Luc Letourneau
Currently in UHL... enforcer. Same.

217 D Tyler Eckford
UP!!!! Big season in BCHL, offensive defenseman. Great start in NCAA with Alaska Fairbanks.

250 R Nathan Perkovich
Slightly up. Pick came out of nowhere. 3rd in team scoring (Chicago USHL), tough and good on PP. Commited to St Lawrence, still a project.

282 D Valeri Klimov
Starting to play a lot in Russia, good pick. UP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad