2004 Draft reviews revisited

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
30 Andy Rogers
Not a bad pick, injured alot but still has a good chance at becoming atleast a solid defenseman. Huge but is an amazing skater
65 Mark Tobin
Offered a contract after one season and turned it down, had a bad year and was not offered a contract the 2nd year, now in Boston's system and his upside might be an average AHLer. Bad pick
102 Mike Lundin
Solid defenseman prospect, will probably be signed this summer
158 Brandon Elliott
Enforcer prospect, probably doesn't have much future as anything more than an AHLer
163 Dusty Collins
Could be a solid 4th liner, still years away though
188 Jan Zapletal
Won't be signed
191 Karri Ramo
Very good pick, probably our goalie of the future if not by next season.
245 Justin Keller
Undersized winger, could become a solid player, not bad for a pick this late

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Schwarz has had a damn good year in the AHL..

Damn good? Come on. Middle of the pack at best. Sure it looks like he making progress, especially compared to Dubnyk, but he's hardly shown that he'll be anything more that a backup in the NHL level at this point.

bigeasy

Mar 18, 2003
Yankee in South Ga.
Visit site
Interesting to see one of the people saying Kyle Wilson was a steal for Wild - He has come into his own this year w/ Hershey for the Caps -- Don't know what his future is as far as the NHL but I hope the poster is right

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Good draft for Habs. They got four good (Kyle Chipchura, Alexei Yemelin, Mikhail Grabovsky, Mark Streit) ones despite drafting late.

While I agree that 4 out of 9 making it to the NHL is fantastic, I still think passing up on Meszaros and Wolski is a big enough oversight to make this draft "average" instead of "great."

I remember wanting Wolski real bad and having been a little disapointed with Chips. I love the type of player he is and the character he brings, which is something we need, but Meszaros is a stud, and Wolski is going to a be a top flight scorer in this league.

But hey, in the end 22 teams passed on Meszaros and if you re-did the draft he may be a top 5 pick, so I guess we should just be happy with what we got. Like I said, 4 out of 9 guys virtually surefire NHLers isn't a bad draft year. I think we can say Chips and Grabs are going to be solid NHLers, and if Emelin comes over, he should make an impact. Anyways, Chipchura was a safe pick and really seemed to be a Gainey putting his stamp on the team and getting the type of players he wanted.

A few other notes: Gotta love Detroit. Don't pick until 97th, yet still manage to grab a solid NHLer in Franzen. I don't know much about their other picks, but they seem to manage one of the best steals virtually every year.

Finally, you just have to laugh and realize the ultimate foolishness of grading drafts as soon as they're done. Looking over the "steals" thread, I think Meszaros is the only who's having any impact at the NHL level. Hell, even now, in 2007 we're still not far enough removed to be able to fully evaluate the draft.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Forecaster gave the Habs a C+ for their draft, I might give them a higher grade at this point especially if you factor in the draft day trade for Huet and Bonk for Garon and a 3rd.

Kyle Chipchura 18th- Not flashy at all, a bit on the slow side, likely won't ever be much of a goal scorer imo. But he should be a strong lock to play in the nhl. In his rookie year in Hamilton he's been solid for sure, very good on the PK and in his own end. Had hoped for more offense from him, in a total of 78 ahl games he's got 34 points, not too impressive but he's big and strong, something we lack down the middle. Forecaster said the Habs might regret passing on Lauri Korpikoski, Wojtek Wolski or Andrej Meszaros, looks like they were right in regards to Wolski and Meszaros for now.

Alexei Emelin 84th- If the Habs can get him to come over then it's looking like a good pick. Was impressive at the wjc's and in the RSL (at least last year, haven't seen him this year) He's easily one of our top D prospects so hopefully they can get him over here within the next year or two.

J T Wyman 100th- Big strong winger with decent hands, skates well with good speed and solid at both ends of the rink. May have been Dartmouth's best player in the playoffs this year, also filled in on defense this year when injuries hit the blueline. I assume he finishes up his senior year and then makes the jump to Hamilton after that. Tough to say if he will make it cause the Habs do have a lot of depth at RW so he'll need to really progress over the next 3+ years.

Mikhail Grabovski 150th- Very very nice pickup. I didn't like the pick at the time but now I love it. Grabovski has been one of Hamilton's top players this year and formed an impressive duo with Andrei Kostitsyn as the former teammates showed good chemistry together. He's likely the fastest prospect in our system, he creates lots of offense with his speed and passing skills plus he's got some sick moves. But he's small, needs work on his face-offs, tries to do too much with the puck, turns over the puck a lot. That said imo he's one of the Habs top prospects.

Loic Lacasse 181nd- Brutal pick, not sure how he got a contract but with all the goalies the Habs have in their system, he's got a lot of work to do. Lost his starting job with the Remparts, got a 2nd chance with Oshawa, seems to give up a lot of goals on a lot of shots. You never really know with goalies but at this point I am still shaking my head that he got a contract.

Jon Gleed 212th- Gleed is not flashy but he's very steady in his own end. No clue what his future holds, he's on a AHL contract with Hamilton, from what I hear he's been really good in his rookie year in the ECHL and he's played well in all the games I've seen him in Hamilton.

Greg Stewart 246th- Stewart was decent in the ohl and seems to be doing fine in the ECHL this year. He works hard, skates well with good speed, plays with energy, takes the body, drops the gloves. But not much offense and could end up a 4th line energy type down the road.

Mark Streit 262nd- Another solid pickup, I hated the pick at the time, never cared for overaged Euro picks but I changed my opinion as soon as I saw him at the WC's. He was ok in his rookie year last season but this year he's really stepped up and played well at forward and defense. I expect him to play a bigger role with the team next year.

Alex Dulac-Lemelin 278th- Bust

________

Feb 6, 2006
Forecaster gave the Stars a D-.

28 Mark Fistric Should become a #4 defenseman, but either way if he's going to be in the NHL playing regularly which is likely to happen a solid pick.
34 Johan Fransson Traded to Kings, wasn't improving from what I heard. Possible bust, if he doesn't improve for them.
52 Raymond Sawada Solid prospect, might turn out to become more then a third liner it all depends on how he does once he leaves Cornell.
56 Nicklas Grossman Should be a very good defensive defenseman in the NHL very underrated prospect.
86 John Lammers If he does end up making the NHL it's going to be on the 4th line, which appears unlikely.
104 Fredrik Naslund Should be brought over for Iowa next, but who knows if that happens.
183 Trevor Ludwig Doubt he makes it to the NHL.
218 Sergei Kukushkin Should be given a chance in the ECHL to see if he can do anything there, if so maybe he might make it as a AHL regular.
248 Lukas Vomela Hasn't been able to play regularly in the Czech league, playing in a second tier.
280 C Matt McKnight Might become a solid AHLer, but what more do you want out a 9th rounder?

Draft Grade C+ Three likely NHL players, then trading Fransson as part of the deal to get Norstrom & Pushkarev, which it depends on how he turns out.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
As a Ranger fan, I found this quote by leafaholix rather amusing -

We'll know in a couple years, but taking Dubinsky that high is really risky.

:sarcasm:

Admittedly, no one knew the kid would go from 5'10, 180 to 6'1, 220 in two years.

mooseOAK*

From a Toronto stand point we'll take a "my bad" on this draft!:sarcasm:

Agree, Pogge alone makes it a good draft and Robbie Earl, Dimitri Vorobiev, and Maxim Semenov appear to be good prospects too.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
GAH! 2004 was a horrible draft for Minnesota. *sighs* Hopefully Volo will be able to do something other than suck...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad