2003 vs 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
How would you rank the top five prospects from the 2003 draft compared with the top five potential prospects from 2004. I know some aren't technically "prospects" anymore, but where would you put them ranked 1 to 10 on talent and potential.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
My Top 5 for 2004 will be: Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Barker, and Tukonen.

I'm not going to change the Top 5 from 2003, it is: Fleury, Staal, Horton, Zherdev, and Vanek.

Here's the "Top 10"

1. Ovechkin
2. Malkin
3. Fleury
4. Zherdev
5. Staal
6. Horton
7. Vanek
8. Olesz
9. Barker
10. Tukonen

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Epsilon said:
My Top 5 for 2004 will be: Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Barker, and Tukonen.

I'm not going to change the Top 5 from 2003, it is: Fleury, Staal, Horton, Zherdev, and Vanek.

Here's the "Top 10"

1. Ovechkin
2. Malkin
3. Fleury
4. Zherdev
5. Staal
6. Horton
7. Vanek
8. Olesz
9. Barker
10. Tukonen

Thats pretty much how I see it also.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
It should be noted that if I could go deeper into the 2003 draft than 5 players there would be more 2003 guys in there (Michalek, Suter, etc.). If I was going to do a "Total Top 10" it would have Ovechkin and Malkin, then 8 players from 2003 most likely. Maybe Olesz squeaks on.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
My TOP10 forwards (potential):

1. Ovechkin
2. Malkin
3. Tukonen
4. Staal
5. Zherdev
6. Radulov
7. Olesz
8. Horton
9. Vanek
10. Michalek

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
My top 10 players over the last 2 years:

1 Ovechkin
2 Malkin
3 Fleury
4 Zherdev
5 Phaneuf
6 Stall
7 Vanek
8 Coburn
9 Barker
10 Vanek

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
X-SHARKIE said:
Top 10 Forwards
1. Alexander Ovechkin
2. Marc-Andre Fleury
3. Eric Staal
4. Evgeni Michalek
5. Nikolai Zherdev
6. Nathan Horton
7. Milan Michalek
8. Lauri Tukonen
9. Robby Schremp
10. Rostislav Olesz
:teach:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
sparkplug said:
^
Well, the goal starved penguins are going to start needing goal production from EVERYONE :)
What a joke, Olesz, Tukonen, Radulov have no right being in the top 10. I guess people on here forget last year was a draft class for the ages. I would take Carter over Tukonen any day of the week and Ruchards/Parise over Radulov also.

sparkplug

Apr 30, 2004
Vancouver BC
JasonMacIsaac said:
What a joke, Olesz, Tukonen, Radulov have no right being in the top 10. I guess people on here forget last year was a draft class for the ages. I would take Carter over Tukonen any day of the week and Ruchards/Parise over Radulov also.

Agreed, I guess people tend to take the 2003 draft class for granted sometimes. However, the thing with prospects is that it's such an open ended thing that sometimes, you can't really call anybody WRONG.

Michalek#9

Jan 6, 2004
Saskatoon, Canada
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Top 10 Forwards
1. Alexander Ovechkin
2. Marc-Andre Fleury
3. Eric Staal
4. Evgeni Michalek
5. Nikolai Zherdev
6. Nathan Horton
7. Milan Michalek
8. Thomas Vanek
9. Lauri Tukonen
10.. Robby Schremp

Top 10 Defensman
1. Dione Phaneuf
2. Cam Barker
3. Ryan Suter
4. A.J. Thelen (down the road, could be number 1 IMO.
5. Braydon Coborn

Wes O'Neil and Mike Green have outside top 10 chances, very unlikely though.

Reminding you its Evgeni Malkin not Michalek but I cant blame you from putting Michalek, hes always on your mind haha.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:

That is your opinion. Last year draft is very deep, but it not means that they have all better top end potential. If you are never seen Tukonens play then i understand that you cant agree with me. I understand that you Canadians are proud whith last year draft because its your draft but believe me, Tukonen is real deal. He is so underrated. About 2 years ago he was ranked 3rd in world, but then he are come down. No people are finally seeing his potential and i think that is future "francise" player. Tukonens star is finally start rising.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:

Unfortunately for you, the consensus among hockey people is that 2003 was a draft of quality DEPTH, NOT that the top 5 or 6 in 2003 was so much better than any other year. Last year's top 5 and this years' are pretty even in my book (and many others).

Top 20 is another matter.

X-SHARKIE

JasonMacIsaac said:

Well two things, this is what happens when you may a post late at night...I put Fleury in the top 10 forwards lol..... I also put Evgeni Michalek lol.

Hey lighten up..... He was asking us to compare the top 10 to next years top 10..... Parise, Carter, Richards, Stewart,Getzlaf....guys I like more then most of the top 10 in 2004, could not be added because they were not selected in the top 10.

I agree totally, Except I think Tukonen could be better then Carter.

2003 was AMAZING...but I was simply comparing top 10 to top 10.

Thats why I didnt make a top 10 for defensman, or else guys like Brent Seabrooke, ect. wouldve made the list.

I agree with Jason that 2003 is still a underated draft.... But strictly looking at the players the top 10 of 2003 to the top 10 projected players in 2004....it's closer then you think.

Alexander Ladd....I cant believe I forgot about him....

I'm going to delete that post because It's a horrible one, My rankings would not be that.... DONT POST WHEN YOUR TIRED FOLKS!

Divine Wind

phaneuf_fan_3 said:
My top 10 players over the last 2 years:

1 Ovechkin
2 Malkin
3 Fleury
4 Zherdev
5 Phaneuf
6 Stall
7 Vanek
8 Coburn
9 Barker
10 Vanek

That looks pretty bang on to me. The 1st 3 have "superstar" potential, all the rest have "star" potential.

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
X-Sharkie - so what was your top ten then. I never did see it even if you were tired or not. Including all prospects from 04 and 03 if you like. I was more wondering about the high end talent...more than the "depth." For instance would you have Olesz rated above Vanek, Staal etc? I thought the top four this year would have gone first overall last year. Is this valid? Make sure you get a few hours of sleep before you post though...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad