2003 vs 2004 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

august

Sep 3, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Is the top 10 of the 2004 stronger than the 2003 draft?

1-Fleury
2-Staal
3-Horton
4-Zherdev
5-Vanek
6-Michalek
7-Suter
8-Coburn
9-Phaneuf
10-Kastistyn

If you compare your top 10 of 2004 with the pick of last year, which year is better?

Pick by pick, who do you take?

Spiffy

Let's throw out a couple of names of players eligable for the 2004 so we know what we're talking about.

Schremp, Olesz(?), Ovechkin, Tukonen, Salmonsson, Card. You know this better than me... I always mix things up...

EDIT: removed Crosby

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Ovechkin, Schremp, Olesz, Malkin, Barker, Sindel, Tukonen & Card could all have gone top 10 in the 2003 draft IMO. Salmonsson, Pohl, Pineault, Wolski, McGrath & Fistric would have been 6-15 talent.

EDIT : I meant 6-25 talent, not 6-15. Typing mistake, sorry.

Spiffy

JasonMacIsaac said:
Wow Noway, Ovechkin and Schremp yes, with a maybe to Schremp, the rest....no
I would have to agree with DUFF88 all these individual are as good as/better than the players that went in the top 10 in 2003 IMO.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
Wow Noway, Ovechkin and Schremp yes, with a maybe to Schremp, the rest....no

IMO, Barker = Coburn & Suter, Barker > Phaneuf

Olesz and Malking would CERTAINLY have been top 10, maybe even top 5.

Sindel is my wildcard and is extremely underrated. He might not have been in the top 10 but I consider him as the same talents as any of these guys.

If Tukonen could find his game back, he'd be back near the top of the 2004 draft crop and be in the top 10 of 2003. I heard he had a good season start this year, who knows, he might come back.

Card would have been the fourth best D of the draft, he could have gone anywhere between 8 to 20.

Spiffy

I guess there would be no goalie going earlier than ~25 in 2004, right? We have been spoiled with early drafted goalies lately...

Duff88

May 7, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
Olesz and Malking would not, Olesz is basiscly Svitov and not as good prospect either. Barker may have gotten into the top 15, maybe.

Well I will stop arguing but I ensure you that Olesz and Malking are going top 5 in 2004 and they both will impress in the WJC with their power and skills. They both are great power forwards who will make you change your mind. I also continue saying htat Barker is better than Phaneuf and as good as Coburn and Suter but they are difficult to compare. I'd say he would have been the #2 defenceman in the 2003 draft.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Top 10 of 2003:

1. Fleury
2. Staal
3. Horton
4. Zherdev
5. Vanek
6. Michalek
7. Suter
8. Coburn
9. Phaneuf
10. Kastsitsyn

My expected top 10 of 2004:

1. Ovechkin
2. Olesz
3. Schremp
4. Malkin
5. Barker
6. Wolski
7. McGrath
8. Pineault
9. Schwarz
10. Dubnyk

well this is how I would break it down, I do not think that any goalie in this draft is as good as Fleury IMO, but the depth of top end goalies in this draft is beyond 2003 by far, there are about 5 to 6 great goalies available in this draft. So the goaltending depth is alot deeper in this draft than in most.

IMO the top end talent is better as I do not think anyone in the 2003 draft can compare to Ovechkin, Olesz, and Schremp. Barker is better than any d-man taken in 2003 and Malkin, Pineault, Wolski, McGrath, Tukonen, Sindel, Salomonsson, Hensick, are on a comparable bases with which Staal. Vanek, Horton, Zherdev are on. The rest make for a solid solid draft with Picard, Makarov, Kasper, Lammers, Lisin, Shitikov.

The defense in this draft is way better than in 2003 as Barker, Card, Smid, Fistric, Sersen, Green, Richard Demen-Willaume, Jordan Smith, Mikko Kuukka, Sergei Karetin, Nicolai Goc, Lashoff, Maunu are all of superstar, Star or excellent status.

My take is the depth of players in 2003 was one of the best by far. This draft has better top end forward and defense than 2003 had and though the depth of players isn't as good as 2003 the first 2 or 3 rounds are great with the 1st round possibly being better than the 2003 first round.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
I will give you that, both are big forwards with skill but I would still rate Cherdev, Horton, Fleury, Staal, Suter ahead of them both.

I said that i'd stop arguing but I just can't... anyway :

I'd still rank them both ahead of Thomas Vanek, Braydon Coburn, Ryan Suter, Dion Phaneuf and Andrei Kastsitsyn. They would fight with Zherdev, Horton, Staal & Michalek for second best talent in the draft. That's considering Michalek > Vanek.

I kind of agree with what Moosefan just posted

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
moosefan said:
Top 10 of 2003:

1. Fleury
2. Staal
3. Horton
4. Zherdev
5. Vanek
6. Michalek
7. Suter
8. Coburn
9. Phaneuf
10. Kastsitsyn

My expected top 10 of 2004:

1. Ovechkin
2. Olesz
3. Schremp
4. Malkin
5. Barker
6. Wolski
7. McGrath
8. Pineault
9. Schwarz
10. Dubnyk

well this is how I would break it down, I do not think that any goalie in this draft is as good as Fleury IMO, but the depth of top end goalies in this draft is beyond 2003 by far, there are about 5 to 6 great goalies available in this draft. So the goaltending depth is alot deeper in this draft than in most.

IMO the top end talent is better as I do not think anyone in the 2003 draft can compare to Ovechkin, Olesz, and Schremp. Barker is better than any d-man taken in 2003 and Malkin, Pineault, Wolski, McGrath, Tukonen, Sindel, Salomonsson, Hensick, are on a comparable bases with which Staal. Vanek, Horton, Zherdev are on. The rest make for a solid solid draft with Picard, Makarov, Kasper, Lammers, Lisin, Shitikov.

The defense in this draft is way better than in 2003 as Barker, Card, Smid, Fistric, Sersen, Green, Richard Demen-Willaume, Jordan Smith, Mikko Kuukka, Sergei Karetin, Nicolai Goc, Lashoff, Maunu are all of superstar, Star or excellent status.

My take is the depth of players in 2003 was one of the best by far. This draft has better top end forward and defense than 2003 had and though the depth of players isn't as good as 2003 the first 2 or 3 rounds are great with the 1st round possibly being better than the 2003 first round.

Definitely agree with you.

IMO Ovechkin, Schremp and Olesz would have all been possibilites for inside the top 3 in 2003.

Marmax

Dec 28, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Brock said:
Definitely agree with you.

IMO Ovechkin, Schremp and Olesz would have all been possibilites for inside the top 3 in 2003.

As much as I like Staal, I really think that those three are ahead of him. I have not seen Ovechkin and Olesz much more than anyone here but I can say that Schremp could really surprise many on these board. That kid have so much talent and he plays a great energy game. Could he surpasses Ovechkin? I dont have the answer.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Olesz is IMO a step under Staal and maybe Horton.
The top 3 would have been IMO :
1- Ovechkin
2- Fleury
3- Schremp

Depending on the team needs of course (goalie wise).
After that I would rank them this way :
4- Staal
5- Olesz
6- Horton
7- Michalek

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Marmax said:
As much as I like Staal, I really think that those three are ahead of him. I have not seen Ovechkin and Olesz much more than anyone here but I can say that Schremp could really surprise many on these board. That kid have so much talent and he plays a great energy game. Could he surpasses Ovechkin? I dont have the answer.

I agree Olesz brings more to the table than Staal. Both are great two way players, Olesz is more physical and has a higher offensive celling (though Staals isn't bad, Olesz offense is much better).

Schremp is just an offensive wizard that is hard to pass up, he is the type that will bring people to the rink to see his game.

Marmax

Dec 28, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
moosefan said:
I agree Olesz brings more to the table than Staal. Both are great two way players, Olesz is more physical and has a higher offensive celling (though Staals isn't bad, Olesz offense is much better).

Schremp is just an offensive wizard that is hard to pass up, he is the type that will bring people to the rink to see his game.

IMO Staal offense relies more on effectiveness than overwhelming skills. Olesz on the other side, seems to have much more to bring in the offense department thanks to his physical-skills combo. Still, I think that both will be great Nhler but will fill different needs. Btw, I dont really remember about Olesz skating, any thought on that?

For Schremp I totally agree that he is an offensive wizard. I would go that far to say that he has an outside chance to go #1 if he have a splendid year (I could be wrong there cause I saw much more Schremp than Ovechkin). I always thought he was a little selfish but this year it seems to be better. I dont know if he could developp into a powerforward in Nhl level ( I dont think he will) but his skills alone worth the price of the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->