2003 Top Picks a year on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

H3ro

Apr 24, 2003
Visit site
Funny to think that the best 2003 draftee this year had been selected 45th overall
Patrice Bergeron: A+

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
JasonMacIsaac said:
Vanek.....HAHA....Try reading at USCHO.com. Vanek is lazy, poor defenivly, has no work ethic.....remember, the things I said about him last year and got bashed for. He does have good offensive skills but he will still be a bust.

my grade for vanek would be NA

amateur and professional hockey are two different worlds
how can you be so sure he'll be a bust before you (or someone who writes the articles you read) even see him play pro hockey?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Dave D said:
I can tell you from being around the Oshawa Generals that Horton did not, and has never had a concussion. Any reference to a concussion is wishful thinking on the part of whomever made the reference. .
i dont think for a second there was any "wishful thinking" here. i think you got the point of this wrong - its a discussion on talent, nobody is wishing someone had a concussion. iagree he is an impressive player - i think its impossible to say who will be the best out of zherdev, staal, and horton. its gonna be fun finding out.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And I repeat : :shakehead
Fleury, Staal have been more impressive than Bergeron IMO, simply because they didn't have half of Bergeron's team in front of them.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
Horton, injury prone? What a joke! If you don't like a player please come up with some concrete reason rather than constructing some knock on him, like being injury prone. Too many people look for reason not to like someone. Guys with bad Knees or a history of several concussions (most hockeys players have probably had some concussion of some size at some point) can give you injury worries. Everyone gets injured.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
billsandsabres said:
my grade for vanek would be NA

amateur and professional hockey are two different worlds
how can you be so sure he'll be a bust before you (or someone who writes the articles you read) even see him play pro hockey?
The guy has a poor work ethic in college and gets his points with the skills he has now. In the NHL that skill won't allow him to dominate and he will need to work harder which I do not think he will do. He is getting a free education anyway. He can do whatever he wants.

thestonedkoala

Brent Burns-
Inconclusive

He didn't play a lot of games and didn't work out on the front lines but moving him to the blueline gave him more play and made him feel more comfortable with his game. If he continues to progress as a solid all around defenseman he'll get an A but if he is moved back to forward position D.

Sammy*

JasonMacIsaac said:
The guy has a poor work ethic in college and gets his points with the skills he has now. In the NHL that skill won't allow him to dominate and he will need to work harder which I do not think he will do. He is getting a free education anyway. He can do whatever he wants.
I kinda find your obsession with Vanek (going to the Sabres board no less to rail on about him) humorous. I take it you have seen him play many times. What do you see in him that the scouts must have overlooked, given that he was a consensus top 8 or so pick & really nothing much has changed in the last year?
If you are going on how he plays now & he wont change, thats about as legitimate as me saying Zach Parise will disappear in all his big games & just rack up points against weaklings, cause thats been his history over the last year & a half.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Sammy said:
I kinda find your obsession with Vanek (going to the Sabres board no less to rail on about him) humorous. I take it you have seen him play many times. What do you see in him that the scouts must have overlooked, given that he was a consensus top 8 or so pick & really nothing much has changed in the last year?
If you are going on how he plays now & he wont change, thats about as legitimate as me saying Zach Parise will disappear in all his big games & just rack up points against weaklings, cause thats been his history over the last year & a half.
Did I say Parise was going to be a big time player and will dominate in big games.

Takkie

I Goc ya nose!
Jun 29, 2003
Florida
Visit site
neither did he. he was just saying that claiming that Parise will never show up in big games is as ludicrous as claiming that there is no chance Vanek makes the NHL or improves his game

Sammy*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Did I say Parise was going to be a big time player and will dominate in big games.
No you didnt. But my point is if I said Parise would fold in all big games because in the last year & a half he has been rendered ineffective (at least pointwise, I dont pretend Ive seen him play except for the WJC this year), I do not believe that would be a fair comment. IMO , the same holds with Vanek, the guy is way more skilled & is huge compared to his opponents, lots of guys step it up when they are no longer so physically superior to their opponents. If Vanek had the work ethic of Parise, he would have gone #1, he doesnt, that why he went # 5.
I dont see how anything has changed in 1 year to take him from a #5 overall in a very strong draft to make him to what you undoubtedly are projecting him to be, namely a bust.

Superfluous U

Jan 15, 2004
At a Stone Prison on a Hill
Why do these discussions always degenerate into pointless pissing contests? Sigh. Anyway,

Pouliot - C+
Played well. Improved his PPG despite seeing a reduction in ice time with Crosby added to his team. I'd give him a better grade, except that he's been injured a good chunk of the year, and I'm starting to worry Edmonton drafted Mr. Glass. His game hasn't regressed, I don't think, but he hasn't really picked it up either. I might be more positive if he wasn't the guy the Oilers drafted instead of Parise :(

Note: Almost all based on second hand reports. If someone who's seen more than a game or two of him wants to comment, that'd be great.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
db23 said:
7 Suter - Wasn't really the dominating player he was expected to be as an NCAA freshman. It does not appear that he will be a top end offensive defenseman, and at 6-1, 190 pounds he can't be a major physical presence either.
C

Not sure which Suter you have been watching, but the one I see is usually the best player on the ice. He has a strong pressence w/ the puck and I was impressed w/ his outlet passes. For a Freshman, he plays big minutes and he is the type of player that you notice because of his play (what I mean by this is, you don't have to look for him on the ice, because of his play you will notice him).

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Frenzy1 said:
Not sure which Suter you have been watching, but the one I see is usually the best player on the ice. He has a strong pressence w/ the puck and I was impressed w/ his outlet passes. For a Freshman, he plays big minutes and he is the type of player that you notice because of his play (what I mean by this is, you don't have to look for him on the ice, because of his play you will notice him).

I agree. How db missed his skill level and stellar play alludes me, but I'll chalk it up to being a stat-junkie rather than an observationist.

X-SHARKIE

Being a hockey fan in Wisconsin I see alot of the Badgers, Ryan Suter is the work horse of this group and doesn't get the chances offensivly he would at Boston or Minnesota...... Suters ellite status in question? I just dont see it. He could become a Adam Foote at the least and to say thats a bad stock to be holding onto is wrong.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Enoch said:
I agree. How db missed his skill level and stellar play alludes me, but I'll chalk it up to being a stat-junkie rather than an observationist.

Agreed. Based on his posts on the prospects board it appears to me that db23 vastly overrates the importance of stats and vastly underrated watching a player and judging him based on his play on ice.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Enoch said:

Agreed. Based on his posts on the prospects board it appears to me that db23 vastly overrates the importance of stats and vastly underrates watching a player and judging him based on his play on ice.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Enoch said:

Agreed. Based on his posts on the prospects board it appears to me that db23 vastly overrates the importance of stats and vastly underrates watching a player and judging him based on his play on ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad