101 L Konstantin Zakharov
127 C Alexandre Bolduc
148 F Lee Stempniak
159 G Chris Beckford-Tseu
189 C Jonathan Lehun
221 L Evgeny Skachkov
253 D Andrei Pervyshin
284 Tapio Aaltonen

Belle was turned into Bacashihua via trade with Dallas.
Backes will be 2nd line power forward, possibly as early as next season
Barulin has been stellar in RSL, hopefully will come to North America next season
Fitzgerald....mean...MEAN defenseman...6th D-potential...maybe he'll make it...
Bolduc - Bust
Beckford-Tseu - one of the best young goalies in ECHL
Lehun- Bust
Pervyshin - Bust
Aaltonen - Sleeper pick. Natural goal scorer. Long-shot to make NHL...but a chance

This was the 1st draft under the direction of Jarmo Kekalannien. Could possibly produce 7 NHL'ers...only 1 to this point. The jewel of this draft should be Backes.

think-blue-

Sep 28, 2002
Visit site
Toronto 2003
57 John Doherty - Disappointing...transferred schools after being drafted so he's sitting out this season b/c of the rules. Played in the USHL a bit last year, didnt fair too badly..but he's a project and a long shot. Sucks because O'Sullivan went one pick ahead and the Leafs were apparently ready to take him :(

91 Martin Sagat - First AHL season ... started off a bit slow but has improved.

125 R Konstantin Volkov - Missed last season due to military obligations? Back in the RSL this year, not putting up good numbers.

158 C John Mitchell - First AHL season. Has shown improvements since the start of the year..being used in more situations by Maurice.. Might make it as a checker, he has talent...needs more time though.

220 C Jeremy Williams - Best pick of the draft for TO; second full AHL season this year - scoring at almost a point per game pace, has improved considerably since last season... should get a look within the next two years if he keeps it up.

237 C Shaun Landolt - ECHL.

All in all doesnt look like a great draft...Williams is the most likely to make it to the NHL with 2nd line upside; Sagat and Mitchell have outside shots (perhaps as 3rd-4th liners)...rest seem like longshots at best at this point.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Flames 2003 doesn't really look very good outside of Phaneuf unless Ramholt ends up panning out.

9 D Dion Phaneuf
39 D Tim Ramholt
97 L Ryan Donally
112 C Jamie Tardif
143 F Greg Moore
173 C Tyler Johnson
206 R Thomas Bellemare
240 L Cam Cunning
270 L Kevin Harvey

Donally has put up nothing for numbers. Guess he still has a remote chance of turning into a big 4th line grinder. Tardif wasn't signed, he's having a good overage year with Peterborough but when I saw him in camp he never blew me away. Moore seems to be on track but was dealt in the Simon trade with NYR. Johnson doesn't look like anything to me. Cunning still has an outside chance IMO. Harvey's a bust.

In retrospect it looks like the Flames should have kept their other 2nd rounder instead of dealing it for a 3rd, 4th 5th (Donally, Tardif and Moore) and used it to grab a guy like Weber :) gotta love that 20/20 hindsight. Imagine getting Phaneuf, Bergeron (instead of Ramholt) and Weber, sigh, that would have been nice.

Having one Phaneuf makes up for a lot of misses. I think he's a superstar for you guys for at least a generation. I'm happy we got Moore from you guys.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
19 C Ryan Getzlaf
28 R Corey Perry
86 F Shane Hynes
90 D Juha Alen (Traded for Brett Skinner)
119 D Nathan Saunders
186 F Drew Miller
218 Dirk Southern
250 D Shane O'Brien
280 Ville Mantymaa

No need to say anything about our first two wonderful draft choices. :D

O'Brien, Miller, Saunders, Skinner (Alen traded for him.) and Hynes all could very possibly have a future with Anaheim. (Most likely O'Brien) (GL to all of them! :) )

This was probably the best ever draft for the Ducks. :)

Checker*

Jackmans Domain said:
2003 - St. Louis Blues

30 D Shawn Belle
62 F David Backes
84 G Konstantin Barulin
88 D Zack Fitzgerald
101 L Konstantin Zakharov
127 C Alexandre Bolduc
148 F Lee Stempniak
159 G Chris Beckford-Tseu
189 C Jonathan Lehun
221 L Evgeny Skachkov
253 D Andrei Pervyshin
284 Tapio Aaltonen

Belle was turned into Bacashihua via trade with Dallas.
Backes will be 2nd line power forward, possibly as early as next season
Barulin has been stellar in RSL, hopefully will come to North America next season
Fitzgerald....mean...MEAN defenseman...6th D-potential...maybe he'll make it...
Bolduc - Bust
Beckford-Tseu - one of the best young goalies in ECHL
Lehun- Bust
Pervyshin - Bust
Aaltonen - Sleeper pick. Natural goal scorer. Long-shot to make NHL...but a chance

This was the 1st draft under the direction of Jarmo Kekalannien. Could possibly produce 7 NHL'ers...only 1 to this point. The jewel of this draft should be Backes.

Actually depending on how you want to look at it this draft is responsible for 2 NHLers and 3 if you want to reach.

Stempniak definately made it up for the Blues
Belle was turned into Bacashihua who played this season for the Blues
Beckford-Tseu was called up twice by the Blues to serve as a backup.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Rangers 2003 Draft picks:

12: Hugh Jessiman
50: Ivan Baranka
75: Ken Roche
122: Corey Potter
149: Nigel Dawes
176: Ivan Dornic
179: Philippe Furrer
180: Chris Holt
209: Dylan Reese
243: Jan Marek

Not a great draft for the Rangers, but depending on how Jessiman develops it could turn out to produce 3 pretty decent NHLers in Jessiman, Dawes, and Baranka.

Dawes is looking like a major steal, 30 goals in his first AHL season.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Parise - 1st line with Gomez and Gionta, playing excellent.
Vrana - 1st line center in Albany, teams sucks.
Khomutov - Improved alot but Albany sucks.
Tarkir - Nothing, will probably end his hockey career at the college level
Smith - Had an absolutly amazing season with Sacred Heart.
Tenute - Devils gave up on him, don't know why.
Bondarev - 2nd tier russian player, no chance

Overall I think there was 5 solid picks out of 7. 1 was let go though.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Rangers_23 said:
Rangers 2003 Draft picks:

12: Hugh Jessiman
50: Ivan Baranka
75: Ken Roche
122: Corey Potter
149: Nigel Dawes
176: Ivan Dornic
179: Philippe Furrer
180: Chris Holt
209: Dylan Reese
243: Jan Marek

Not a great draft for the Rangers, but depending on how Jessiman develops it could turn out to produce 3 pretty decent NHLers in Jessiman, Dawes, and Baranka.

Dawes is looking like a major steal, 30 goals in his first AHL season.

Don't forget about Potter. Defensive Dman, could make it

AgentNaslund*

Vancouver Canucks.

23 C Ryan Kesler
60 R Marc-Andre Bernier
111 C Brandon Nolan
128 L Ty Morris
160 L Nicklas Danielsson
190 Chad Brownlee
222 C Francois-Pierre Guenet
252 F Sergei Topol
254 D Nathan McIver
285 D Matthew Hansen

Overall I think this year stunk for Vancouver. Went for a safe pick with the 1st round pick, Kesler max potential is a 3rd liner, but he has like 8 points in his last 9 games, went through times were he had very little points in a long time, Earlier this year in 06, he had another point streak run, but stopped, has looked awesome with Bertuzzi as his line mate, I still prefer a guy with offensive potential. It be awesome if he turns out like Michale Handzuz.

2003 considered one of the strongest draft years in NHL, I say Vancouver did pretty bad this year, Kesler is the only one that will probably pan out, but its pretty much a wash, since your first round picks should pan out any year,a nd its a wash since everyone elses first round pick or 2nd round pick, turns out good.
Pretty much a dissapointment For VAncouver. They draft 10 players in 03, and Besides the first rounder which is a no brainer to make the NHL, I dont think any of them will make the NHL. I be glad to be proven wrong.

Pretty bad year for Vancouver, for a draft year not close to 03 in skill level, VAncovuer did waaaay better in 04 and in 05 and both years had fewer picks. Thats how bad the 03 was for VAncouver. Overall not impressed with the way Vancouver drafted in 2003.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
2003 was great for Nashville but 2005 could end up being very good too, Parent, Laakso and Franson all look like good NHLers and Cal O'Reilly is playing well too and could end up being that scoring line center we need so badly.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Dallas Stars;

Traded first round pick for two second rounders I believe.

- Loui Eriksson (33rd); Now the top prospect in the System. Former rookie of the year in Sweden, lplaying extremely well in the AHL after settling in. Future first line/top 6 forward, great both ways.

- Vojtech Polak (36th); Purest offensive forward in the system, 5th overall. In the AHL now, still adjusting but doing fairly well. Might have a shot at the Stars next season. Boom or Bust player..

- B.J. Crombeen (54th); Physical checking line player is floating between the AHL and ECHL. Former member of Canada's U18 team, might crack the Stars roster as a 4th liner someday, not much else.

- Matt Nickerson (99th); Said to be the most aggressive and intimidating player of this draft and Matt has not dissapointed. Played in Finland this season, breaking all penalty related records, from PIMS (which he had already broken at the half way mark), to misconducts, you name it. Has actual skills as well,. Huge defenseman, expect him to fill a simular roll as Erskine used to do for us.

- Alexander Naurov (134th); Highly skilled Russian. Has NHL potential but needs to come over first as he's trapped behind quality veterans on his current team. Icetime is crucial for him right now..

The rest; Eero Kilpelainen (Finnish goalie - no NHL upside), Gino Guyer (hard working two-way center - AHL seems his highest upside, perhaps a few games in the NHL as a 4th line call-up) , Francis Wathier (See Guyer, but even less chances), Drew Bagnall (career minor leaguer), Elias Granath (regular member of Sweden's junior squad. AHL/SEL career at best, very small odds to ever make the NHL), Niko Vainio (career minor leaguer)..

The Stars picked a lot of players that season, 3 are current top 20 prospects for us (including #1 and #5). Very satisfied with this draft even though our late rounds picks are nothing to write home about..

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Isles made out pretty all right. Here are the highlights:

15 R Robert Nilsson - In the NHL and looks to have elite talent, very gifted playmaker and great offensive instincts. Could stand to bulk up a little but is showing the skill that allowed him to break Forsberg and Naslund's records for scoring by a 17yo in the SEL.

58 C Jeremy Colliton - as a rookie in the AHL is 21-30-51 in 63 games, along with a good physical game and very sharp 2way play.

182 D Bruno Gervais - after nearly making the big club out of camp right after the draft, has continued to improve. Until his call up to the Isles was leading all AHL defensemen in goals and is no showing excellent defensive intelligence and play in the NHL.

246 L Igor Volkov - One of the top goal scorers in the RSL (6th, I believe), and has increased his point totals in every year, not by huge jumps, just continuing to put up more. Reportedly is more of a grinder, playing a solid 2 way game, but his scoring leads one to believe he has higher upside.

We've had 4 players from the draft play on the Isles this season, three of whom seem to have established themselves as regulars.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
AgentNaslund said:
Vancouver Canucks.

Overall I think this year stunk for Vancouver. Went for a safe pick with the 1st round pick, Kesler max potential is a 3rd liner, but he has like 8 points in his last 9 games, went through times were he had very little points in a long time, Earlier this year in 06, he had another point streak run, but stopped, has looked awesome with Bertuzzi as his line mate, I still prefer a guy with offensive potential. It be awesome if he turns out like Michale Handzuz.

2003 considered one of the strongest draft years in NHL, I say Vancouver did pretty bad this year, Kesler is the only one that will probably pan out, but its pretty much a wash, since your first round picks should pan out any year,a nd its a wash since everyone elses first round pick or 2nd round pick, turns out good.
Pretty much a dissapointment For VAncouver. They draft 10 players in 03, and Besides the first rounder which is a no brainer to make the NHL, I dont think any of them will make the NHL. I be glad to be proven wrong.

Pretty bad year for Vancouver, for a draft year not close to 03 in skill level, VAncovuer did waaaay better in 04 and in 05 and both years had fewer picks. Thats how bad the 03 was for VAncouver. Overall not impressed with the way Vancouver drafted in 2003.

I wouldn't consider it a "disappointment" at all. It certainly was not a stellar draft like it was for the Flyers but we hold our own.

1) Kesler: it doesn't matter who in the professional ranks you ask they all like Kesler. Some are even saying he will one of the many "studs" for Team USA in the next winter olympics. Safe pick? Hell yes, he made it to the NHL and will, one day soon, be our #2 centerman.

2) Marc-Andre Bernier: Only in his first year of pro hockey and has split the year between the Moose and Inferno. Couldn't score at the AHL level but is doing fine in the ECHL. This kid has the hands to score...let's not write him off just yet.

3) Brandon Nolan: Having a stellar year in the ECHL on the Inferno but has struggled with keeping it up in the AHL. I think his time has passed for us.

4)Ty Morris: Another one of those great WHL kids who are playing really well in the ECHL. Will struggle with the AHL let alone the NHL. He is done.

5) Nicklas Danielsson: Not even sure he is still playing hockey. Couldn't find any stats past 04/05. Stick a fork in him for us.

6) Chad Brownlee: Good, stay at home d-man playing University hockey. Has a big frame. Not flashy but could make it in the NHL. I like this kid.

7) Francois-Pierre Guenet: Has gone from QMJHL to ECHL and playing well. It's his first year of professional hockey. Does he have the skills to progress? I think so but maybe not all the way to the NHL.

8)Sergei Topol: Russian player finding it hard to find ice time in Russian league. Not in the Canucks plans.

9)Nathan McIver: Jumped from OHL to the AHL and playing very well. He is a great pick compared to where he was drafted. This kid has a chance to play in the NHL.

10)Matthew Hansen: Still playing WHL hockey as an overager. Is he a late bloomer or is he a bust. Let's see next year.

So...overall we have, IMO, Kesler who is obviously and NHL player. Bernier and McIver who will both likely see NHL time in the future. Brownlee and Hansen as potential guys who might make it one day. If we can land 3 guys in the NHL from each draft I don't think we should call them disappointments.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Seph said:
246 L Igor Volkov - One of the top goal scorers in the RSL (6th, I believe), and has increased his point totals in every year, not by huge jumps, just continuing to put up more. Reportedly is more of a grinder, playing a solid 2 way game, but his scoring leads one to believe he has higher upside.

Not even in the top 100, 1 goal and 1 assist this year all season long. He actually degressed as he got 4 points last year. They guy is a bust. :)

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid[]=63815

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Caniacforever said:
Richmond was traded straight up for Babchuk, so I really see Staal and Babchuk to Carolina from that draft. Which makes me smile.

I'm pretty sure the trade wasn't straight-up. I read a while back that it involved Vrbata.

To Chicago:
Danny Richmond
Radim Vrbata
4th rd. pick

To Carolina:
Anton Babchuk
4th rd. pick

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Richard_Zednik said:
Nashville... stole 3 dmen that will be on their team soon.

the Habs had a bad draft, but in 2005 they had a good one.

1st round: Carey Price

2nd round: Guillaume Latendresse

4th round: Juraj Mikus

5th round: Mathieu Aubin

6th round: Matt D'agostini

7th round: Sergei Kostitsyn and Philippe Paquet

I love how you could come to such a conclusion not even a year later.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
Ott = Snott said:
The rest; Eero Kilpelainen (Finnish goalie - no NHL upside), Gino Guyer (hard working two-way center - AHL seems his highest upside, perhaps a few games in the NHL as a 4th line call-up) , Francis Wathier (See Guyer, but even less chances), Drew Bagnall (career minor leaguer), Elias Granath (regular member of Sweden's junior squad. AHL/SEL career at best, very small odds to ever make the NHL), Niko Vainio (career minor leaguer)..

For the record, Vainio's retired due to back issues, and Bagnall's since been traded to FLA.

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
Peter said:
I wouldn't consider it a "disappointment" at all. It certainly was not a stellar draft like it was for the Flyers but we hold our own.

1) Kesler: it doesn't matter who in the professional ranks you ask they all like Kesler. Some are even saying he will one of the many "studs" for Team USA in the next winter olympics. Safe pick? Hell yes, he made it to the NHL and will, one day soon, be our #2 centerman.

I have to agree here. You need guys like Ryan Kesler (or players who do the things he does) in order to have success in the playoffs. Very strong pick at that point, imo.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
2003 was the best Edmonton draft in a long, long while:

22nd overall- MA Pouliot. Gifted playmaker who plays a solid two-way game. Made NHL debut last night and did not look out of place.

51st overall- Colin McDonald. Injuries have slowed the development of this 6'3 power forward, but there's still time and hope for him to become the player he's been most compared to- Bill Guerin.

68th overall- JF Jacques. 'Crazy Train' has lived up to his name at the NHL level. Wicked hitter and all-around pesty forward has a touch around the net as well. Could max out as a 2nd liner.

72nd overall- Mikhail Zhukov. Slow to develop, but this year he seems to have turned the corner over in Russia. Creative passer has dominated at times in the RSL.

94th overall- Zach Stortini. Major skating issues the only thing holding him back from replacing Laraque. Heart-and-soul player who has a surprisingly good shot.

147th overall- Kalle Olsson. Above-average defensive forward has done his time in Europe, and looks to be a high priority this summer. Able to step in immediately and play solid hockey.

154th overall- David Rohlfs. 6'3 forward stumbled earlier in the NCAA season, but since being moved to defense on a hunch, he's blossomed. A darkhorse to make it to the NHL as a 7/8 defender.

184th overall- Dragan Umicevic. One of the few prospects to benefit greatly due to the lockout, Umicevic came into the SEL with high expectations this season. His play has still been quite inconsistent and he's missing a jump in his step, Umicevic still managed to post a career-best in points and assists this past year. Upside is an NHL sniper in the top-six.

214th overall- Kyle Brodziak. Already playing in the NHL, Brodziak is solid but nothing special. Ideal injury fill-in.

215th overall- Mathieu Roy. Also seen NHL play, Roy has demonstrated maturity and intelligence beyond his years. If it weren't for Edmonton's depth, Roy would see regular time.

248th overall- Josef Hrabal. An extremely slick skater and intelligent offensive defenseman. Finished 5th in team scoring as the youngest regular on HC Vsetin. If he comes over, he'll be a steal.

278th overall- Troy Bodie. Lots of heart and a grinder to the core, Bodie isn't much more than that. Didn't impress offensively in his last year of major junior. Still, he looks to be a regular at the AHL level and maybe a fourth liner during injuries.

So out of those 12 picks, 4 have made it to the NHL, and the other 8 could all play at least a reserve forward role.

Waveburner

Sep 22, 2002
Peter said:

It is still highly questionable whether he has second line upside. A very good pick but not the best selected in his draft range.

2) Marc-Andre Bernier: Only in his first year of pro hockey and has split the year between the Moose and Inferno. Couldn't score at the AHL level but is doing fine in the ECHL. This kid has the hands to score...let's not write him off just yet.
He has too many issues to overcome-strength, skating, defensive play, consistency...sure there have been ECHL miracles like Ryder but he was a much better skater and natural playmaker then Bernier. Total bust.

3) Brandon Nolan: Having a stellar year in the ECHL on the Inferno but has struggled with keeping it up in the AHL. I think his time has passed for us.
Doesn't have the strength for pro game, and has his father's ego.

4)Ty Morris: Another one of those great WHL kids who are playing really well in the ECHL. Will struggle with the AHL let alone the NHL. He is done.
I don't think he is playing pro hockey, and he was a terrible selection regardless. After seeing one Giants game after we drafted him I knew he wasn't NHL material-very poor skater.

5) Nicklas Danielsson: Not even sure he is still playing hockey. Couldn't find any stats past 04/05. Stick a fork in him for us.
He is playing in the Swedish second division this season, and signed a 2 year contract to stay there. Doesn't appear to have NHL talent anyways.

6) Chad Brownlee: Good, stay at home d-man playing University hockey. Has a big frame. Not flashy but could make it in the NHL. I like this kid.
His puck skills are beyond atrocious for a pro prospect. Has very little hope of even being signed by the Canucks, let alone playing for them ever.

7) Francois-Pierre Guenet: Has gone from QMJHL to ECHL and playing well. It's his first year of professional hockey. Does he have the skills to progress? I think so but maybe not all the way to the NHL.
Tiny, weak, only average skater, not talented enough to play on a scoring line and not enough defensive awareness to be a checker. There had to be better undrafted free agents to sign than this guy.

8)Sergei Topol: Russian player finding it hard to find ice time in Russian league. Not in the Canucks plans.
Indeed becomes a free agent this summer.

9)Nathan McIver: Jumped from OHL to the AHL and playing very well. He is a great pick compared to where he was drafted. This kid has a chance to play in the NHL.
I wouldn't call it a great pick, as that implies McIver has a very good chance of being an NHL player. I would say his chances are somewhere around 15-20% of playing in the NHL at all, and much lower at becoming an NHL regular. It was a solid pick.

10)Matthew Hansen: Still playing WHL hockey as an overager. Is he a late bloomer or is he a bust. Let's see next year.
Is he still playing in the WHL? The fact the Canucks weren't interested enough to invite him to Rookie Camp speaks volumes to me. He's not our property anymore so I feel confident stating he's done.

So...overall we have, IMO, Kesler who is obviously and NHL player. Bernier and McIver who will both likely see NHL time in the future. Brownlee and Hansen as potential guys who might make it one day. If we can land 3 guys in the NHL from each draft I don't think we should call them disappointments.
I will bet anything on Bernier never playing an NHL game. McIver may find time as an injury call-up, but anything more would be downright shocking. Hansen is not Canucks property and Brownlee is a longshot to even earn a pro contract. I agree that 3 solid NHL players would be a terrific draft, but that won't be happening with this group of draftees. Kesler is the only realistic NHL player of the bunch. To say otherwise is putting a pretty significant 'homer spin' on the situation.

gabpas

Jan 25, 2003
Aylmer
Visit site
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Montreal:

10-Andrei Kostitsyn: He's starting to become a good one...was great in Montreal this year and he will most likely be a in Montreal for good as soon as next year.

40-Cory Urquhart: He's a bust...pretty bad pick when you look at it today

61-Maxim Lapierre: He's a sure bet...will be a pest in the NHL sooner rather then later...great 3rd/4th line player with offensive upside

79-Ryan O'Byrne: One of the top defenceman of Cornell, he's big, fast and have a good shot...still far away, but might be a good steady defenceman

113-Corey Locke: With the skills he has, he's a great gamble...boom or bust because of his size, but if he makes it, he will be huge!

123-Danny Stewart: He's a bust, bad pick!

177-Chris Heino-Linberg: Pretty good pick, he might be a good one someday...he need more playing time but the skills are there.

188-Mark Flood: Not a bad pick, but he's not with us anymore

217-Oskari Korpikari: Stay at home defenceman, good first pass, but not much offence from him. Might be a good bottom pairing defenceman but he's a stretch at this point.

241-Jimmy Bonneau: Witht the new NHL, I think it's safe to say that this goon will be a career minor league player...

271-Jaroslav Halak: Might be the next Vokoun...he's playing great in the AHL. A steal for a 9th rounder

So bottom line, it was a good draft for the Habs with 7 players who could help the team one day...

But obviously, it could have been better...

Habs should count on more than 2 players out of the 2003 draft making it. I see Lapierre and O'Byrne having a chance. The rest will be minor league players at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->