2003 draft revisted: Bergeron STILL top 5 pick

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Annual argument still holds true....

Fleury, Phaneuf, Staal, Vanek and Bergeron are clearly the top five from that draft right now.....

Anymore Jeff Carter over Bergeron takers out there? Parise? Horton?

I think Richards will be a better player then Carter, Parise is having a great year(although a year older), as for Horton, "power forwards" usually take longer to develop. You can't argue with the success Bergeron is having and if you only taking into consideration what they have done in the NHL to this point he would be #2 or #3 so far(Staal and Phaneuf ahead of him). I still wonder to this day how he dropped so low in the draft considering how fast he made it to the NHL.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
I think Richards will be a better player then Carter, Parise is having a great year(although a year older), as for Horton, "power forwards" usually take longer to develop. You can't argue with the success Bergeron is having and if you only taking into consideration what they have done in the NHL to this point he would be #2 or #3 so far(Staal and Phaneuf ahead of him). I still wonder to this day how he dropped so low in the draft considering how fast he made it to the NHL.

he was hidden as Bergeron-Cleary if i recall correctly.

who likes drafting players with 2 last names? :help:

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
People should not be too quick to dismiss Carter and Horton. Both kids still have a ton of potential. This argument is far from over.

Marc008

Sep 10, 2006
Ontario
bruinsfans.freeforums.org
Yeah if I remember right I think the Bruins selected either Mark Stuart or Matt Lashoff with there first round pick that year so they were also verry lucky he was still available later in the draft but he really was a steal for the Bruins.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
I think Fleury doesn't belong there. Yes, he's a young netminder, but I don't think he deserves to be in the same category or in the top 5. If, Michalek wasn't always injured, he will be the one missing in the top 5.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think Fleury doesn't belong there. Yes, he's a young netminder, but I don't think he deserves to be in the same category or in the top 5. If, Michalek wasn't always injured, he will be the one missing in the top 5.

Goalies, Power Forwards and Defensemen usually take longer to "peak" then forwards. If you did a list now, a list in 5 year and 10 years it would be bound to look different.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Remember, Carter has missed a large portion of this year with an injury. He is very talented and the jury is still out on him. Phaneuf is terrific and I have always been a fan of Vanek and Parise, but Fleury as a goalie, could end up being the best as great goalies have the greatest impact.

edit
Oops, did I forget Staal? Was he that year?

Last edited:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I'd still take Horton over him. He is going to take longer to develop, and needs consistency in his game (He goes on PPG stretches then goes quiet for awhile). His talent combined with his size IMO makes me wanna have him over Bergeron.

Having said that it is very hard to rank the draft because there are so many awesome players. Guys like Carter, Horton and Getzlaf are going to develop into great players whilst Staal, Phaneuf are already amazing players.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I'd still take Horton over him. He is going to take longer to develop, and needs consistency in his game (He goes on PPG stretches then goes quiet for awhile). His talent combined with his size IMO makes me wanna have him over Bergeron.

Having said that it is very hard to rank the draft because there are so many awesome players. Guys like Carter, Horton and Getzlaf are going to develop into great players whilst Staal, Phaneuf are already amazing players.

OK, but if you werent a Florida fan?

littleguybigstik

Feb 12, 2006
top 5.

1. vanek- rocket richard canadidate
2. phaneuf norris
3. staal- all around offensive threat
4. carter all around offensive threat
5. bergeron good leader and ppg player

really there is about 10-12 top line players.. i think the top three to four could be franchise players. bergeron is good but not franchise quality, i think kessel will over take bergeron in a yr or two.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Just happy to see Maffy on so many lists as he was unfairly being written off by alt of people....As for Bergeron, he was easily a huge steal in that draft. I think he is a very good player but some "B's" fans tend to think he is better than he is (though we all have our tendancies to favor players on our teams).

Boston

Captain Chara
Oct 3, 2005

1 inch difference..

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Bergeron - 195gp, 62g, 95a, 157pts .81 ppg
Staal - 210gp, 75g, 95a, 170pts .81 ppg

Bergeron is a top 5 pick without a doubt.

1. Phaneuf
2. Staal/Bergeron
3. Vanek
4. Zherdev/Horton
5. Fleury

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad