2003 draft Revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If the draft was redone this is the order I see. Based on who I would most want.

1. Horton
2. Zherdev
3. Bergeron
4. Phnaeuf
5. Staal
6. Carter
7. Suter
8. Parise
9. Michalek
11. Kesler
12. Burns
13. Vanek
14. Richards
15. Getzlaf
16. Coburn
17. Kostitsyn
18. Fehr
19. Belle
20. Seabrooke
21. Brown
22. Perry
23. O'Sullivan
24. Weber
25. Vrana
26. Fritsche
27. Stone
28. Stuart
29. Bernier
30. Stewart

I don't see Polliot, Tambellini, Nilsson,Eaves, Boyle in the top round. Admit Eaves and Boyle are doing ok at Boston College but think others have moved ahead of them) Jessiman is MIA so hard to rate his progress

I think this open to a lot of debate.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
orcatown said:
If the draft was redone this is the order I see. Based on who I would most want.

1. Horton
2. Zherdev
3. Bergeron
4. Phnaeuf
5. Staal
6. Carter
7. Suter
8. Parise
9. Michalek
11. Kesler
12. Burns
13. Vanek
14. Richards
15. Getzlaf
16. Coburn
17. Kostitsyn
18. Fehr
19. Belle
20. Seabrooke
21. Brown
22. Perry
23. O'Sullivan
24. Weber
25. Vrana
26. Fritsche
27. Stone
28. Stuart
29. Bernier
30. Stewart

I don't see Polliot, Tambellini, Nilsson,Eaves, Boyle in the top round. Admit Eaves and Boyle are doing ok at Boston College but think others have moved ahead of them) Jessiman is MIA so hard to rate his progress

*cough*Loui Eriksson*cough*....oh, and you forgot a guy named Fleury. I dont think he should have gone #1, but there is no doubt he is still a 1st rounder. And Kesler at #11 is defintely too high.

Naoned

orcatown said:

1. Horton
2. Zherdev
3. Bergeron
4. Phnaeuf
5. Staal
6. Carter
7. Suter
8. Parise
9. Michalek
11. Kesler
12. Burns
13. Vanek
14. Richards
15. Getzlaf
16. Coburn
17. Kostitsyn
18. Fehr
19. Belle
20. Seabrooke
21. Brown
22. Perry
23. O'Sullivan
24. Weber
25. Vrana
26. Fritsche
27. Stone
28. Stuart
29. Bernier
30. Stewart

You don't like number 10?

Habs4ever

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal, (Quebec)
Visit site
Too early to say

guys like Kostitsyn have game breaking potential, while he could bust all togather.

So until guys like Parise, Kostitsyn make good or bad on their potential everything is debatable. It doesn't matter where this prospects are now in their development now but you could see very good indicator of that in few years, wait t'ill they all make NHL then decide which one you'd rather prefer.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
I don't think it's all that unreasonable to say Fleury would not be taken in the first round, knowing what we now know. I'd say he would be taken in the middle of the second round.

Howard would almost certainly be the first goalie taken.

Steve Latin*

Til the End of Time said:
I don't think it's all that unreasonable to say Fleury would not be taken in the first round, knowing what we now know. I'd say he would be taken in the middle of the second round.

Knowing what? That he let in a bad goal in the gold medal round of the WJC last year?
:shakeshead

Fleury played well at the beginning of the season in Pittsburgh and is playing well in the AHL now. It's ridiculous to suggest that he would have dropped out of the top 10.

S L

likea

Jul 9, 2004
Til the End of Time said:

what do you now know??? I must have missed it????

UWSaint

Dec 28, 2004
Wisconsin
Most of the posted criticisms seem pretty fair to me. But Kesler too high? Nearly a point a game guy in the AHL this season who is just 20 years old and a two-way player? I think Kesler is safely one of those first rounders whose stock has improved considerably since being drafted. That draft class is deep; maybe he isn't 11 (hey Orca, who is 10 :dunno: ), but he is certainly in that range.

I would add that IMO I think Richards is much too high on that list. He seems to have plateaued (to put it charitably). He is no more effective this year in juniors as he was 2 years ago. Richards is an undersized mediocre skater. Does this portend a bright NHL future? Unlikely. And though it goes against conventional wisdom to say so, I predict Richards' career path will most closely resemble Daniel Tkaczuk's. . . .

Vic Rattlehead*

I'm just happy Boston got Bergeron and Mark Stuart in that draft. A first round defenceman and a second round forward who plays like a first rounder.

Vic Rattlehead*

UWSaint said:
Most of the posted criticisms seem pretty fair to me. But Kesler too high? Nearly a point a game guy in the AHL this season who is just 20 years old and a two-way player? I think Kesler is safely one of those first rounders whose stock has improved considerably since being drafted. That draft class is deep; maybe he isn't 11 (hey Orca, who is 10 :dunno: ), but he is certainly in that range.

I would add that IMO I think Richards is much too high on that list. He seems to have plateaued (to put it charitably). He is no more effective this year in juniors as he was 2 years ago. Richards is an undersized mediocre skater. Does this portend a bright NHL future? Unlikely. And though it goes against conventional wisdom to say so, I predict Richards' career path will most closely resemble Daniel Tkaczuk's. . . .

If Kesler is 11, and going by your logic, Stuart should be higher than 28th. He is a safe pick to make the NHL and has improved since the draft. (Not what I think, just going by his logic.)

Seriously, Kesler is too high. Vanek, Richards, and Getzlaf all have higher potential then Kesler and will probably outscore Kesler.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
1. Phaneuf
2. Zherdev
3. Bergeron
4. Horton
5. Fleury
6. Staal
7. Suter
8. Carter
9. Vanek
10. Michalek
11. Getzlaf
12. Brown
13. Parise
14. Richards
15. Coburn
16. Kesler
17. Kostitsyn
18. Seabrook
19. Fritsche
20. Stewart
21. Burns
22. Weber
23. O'Sullivan
24. Belle
25. Stuart
26. Jessiman
27. Eaves
28. Bernier
29. Vrana
30. Perry

Thats how I see it happening. I'm sure many people will disagree with Phaneuf at number 1 but a defensmen of his caliber is much more difficult to come by then a one dimensional forward like Zherdev. I like Zherdev's offensive skill a lot though. Bergeron and Zherdev were very close, as well as Fleury and Horton. This is such a strong draft that there is no consensus number one pick.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Steve Latin said:
Knowing what? That he let in a bad goal in the gold medal round of the WJC last year?
:shakeshead

Fleury played well at the beginning of the season in Pittsburgh and is playing well in the AHL now. It's ridiculous to suggest that he would have dropped out of the top 10.

S L

Agreed. As a Penguins fan I'd take Fleury again in a heartbeat. His upside is way too damn high to be deterred by one bad play in an international tournament. He was fantastic in the NHL last season, regardless of stats, and has been a huge part of Wilkes-Barre's success this year.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
I think if the draft were redone, Dustin Brown would have moved up 2-3 spots, not down. I think Fleury would be 10-15, easily still a 1st rounder. I agree with Seabrook being taken later, but Id be willing to wager that Byfuglien will be seen as top 30 easily within 2 years.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Andrew_11 said:
1. Phaneuf
2. Zherdev
3. Bergeron
4. Horton
5. Fleury
6. Staal
7. Suter
8. Carter
9. Vanek
10. Michalek
11. Getzlaf
12. Brown
13. Parise
14. Richards
15. Coburn
16. Kesler
17. Kostitsyn
18. Seabrook
19. Fritsche
20. Stewart
21. Burns
22. Weber
23. O'Sullivan
24. Belle
25. Stuart
26. Jessiman
27. Eaves
28. Bernier
29. Vrana
30. Perry

Thats how I see it happening. I'm sure many people will disagree with Phaneuf at number 1 but a defensmen of his caliber is much more difficult to come by then a one dimensional forward like Zherdev. I like Zherdev's offensive skill a lot though. Bergeron and Zherdev were very close, as well as Fleury and Horton. This is such a strong draft that there is no consensus number one pick.

No Fehr=Jihad :mad:

UWSaint

Dec 28, 2004
Wisconsin
19bruins19 said:
If Kesler is 11, and going by your logic, Stuart should be higher than 28th. He is a safe pick to make the NHL and has improved since the draft. (Not what I think, just going by his logic.)

Seriously, Kesler is too high. Vanek, Richards, and Getzlaf all have higher potential then Kesler and will probably outscore Kesler.

My logic is that Kesler is a kid pegged to be a defensive center who is already putting up a point a game in the AHL and this makes him a much better prospect than he was a year and half ago. He was a safe bet to be a regular NHL player without contributing much on offense. Now that he is manifesting offensive acumen--something that the Canucks hoped for but sort of in the wishful thinking way when they drafted him; he must now be better. Moreover, other prospects that were ranked above Kesler or in his vicinity have not improved their resumes.

I don't disagree with you that Vanek should score more than Kesler and is probably a better prospect (I didn't agree with Orca's list; I disagreed with the criticism of Kesler as a 10-15 pick from the draft). In his first AHL season, Vanek (8 mths older than Kesler), has not disappointed, scoring 15 goals. But here's the deal: Kesler has 14 goals. Vanek is pegged to be a sniper; Kesler a checker. Vanek is playing up to his expectations at this young stage of his career; Kesler is exceeding his--and pushing his ceiling higher. Does Vanek have a higher ceiling to score goals than Kesler? Absolutely; this is still true. But we aren't looking at Ryan Kesler the grinder with a 10 year career anymore; we are looking at Kesler the Peca/Madden/Draper: solid defense, plus speed, and the ability to score 20 goals at the NHL level. Vanek's upside is still a 40 goal sniper--a legitimate first line player. But is Kesler more likely to clone Madden than Vanek clone Palffy? You bet.

As for Getzalf and Richards, you know what I think of Richards. Since being drafted (and drafted too high), Richards has had a season and a half of unimproved production in juniors, coupled with a nondeveloping skill set (sure, he still gets "smarter" and has great "vision" and is a terrific "leader"). Add to that an ho hum 2005 WJC, and he looks to be a prospect whose stock has taken a serious hit since being drafted.

Getzalf had the season everyone expected last year after being drafted, but is only a point a game guy in this his 4th season in juniors. Nonetheless, he has the size (esp. when he fills out) and shot to score in the NHL. Moreover, playing with Canada's best, he played very well. Still, there are plenty of flaws to Getzalf's game (hands, speed, first step). His stock is about where it was when he was drafted, I would think.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
orcatown said:

1. Horton

:yo: No debate from me here ;)

When you think about it, Horton was basically the 1rst overall pick in the draft. FLA had #1 overall and traded down because they were pretty sure they could get him at #3 and get some picks in return. So basically, DUdley was smart and got a guy who would've gone #1 in FLA's books at 3 and second rounders and stuff.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
19bruins19 said:
I'm just happy Boston got Bergeron and Mark Stuart in that draft. A first round defenceman and a second round forward who plays like a first rounder.
I think alot of 2nd round players are guys who could have been first rounders in any other draft.

Petr Vrana, Patrice Bergeron, Tim Ramholt, Shea Weber, Kevin Klein, Patrick O"Sullivan, Jeremy Colliton, Marc-Andre Bernier are all guys who would have easily went in the late first round of a regular entry draft. 2003 was just deep though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad