2003 Draft - interesting article

Status
Not open for further replies.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
An interesting article, although I don't see how a few of these players have 'improved their stock for the better' - namely: Brent Seabrook, Steve Bernier, Shawn Belle, Zachery Stortini, Francois-Pierre Guenette, Zbynek Hrdel.

What have they done to improve their stock?

http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/hockey/extras.cgi?unsigned-CHLers

UN-SIGNED CHLers
Stock changes during lockout limbo...

BEFORE THE LOCKOUT WAS LAUNCHED last September, several NHL clubs had to decide whether to sign their 2003 CHL draft picks or leave their fate in the hands of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. After all, June 1 was the date when all CHL draftees selected two years earlier had to be signed by their respective NHL clubs--under the terms of the old CBA.

To that end, players such as Calgary's Dion Phaneuf (9th overall), Anaheim's Ryan Getzlaf (15th overall) and Corey Perry (28th overall) and Florida's Anthony Stewart (25th overall) all inked deals in the days leading up to the NHL lockout.

Last edited by a moderator:

FREE DENTAL CARE

Mar 20, 2004
I noticed that Hennessy was not on this list. Was the list just of Canadian unsigned prospects or has Hennessy signed with SJ?

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
In fact I'd go so far as to suggest that Seabrook was taken too high.
I second that. I don't think he has made huge strides to improve on his stock and if fact, 14th overall was purely the Hawks drafting for need, rather than the best player available strategy.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
FREE DENTAL CARE said:
I noticed that Hennessy was not on this list. Was the list just of Canadian unsigned prospects or has Hennessy signed with SJ?
I've no idea, but I doubt the Sharks would sign Hennessy and not Bernier.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
The Oilers already signed Stortini to an entry level contract. Pouliot, Jacques, and Bodie are the 2003 Oilers CHL draftees currently unsigned.

X-SHARKIE

"the Sharks will probally keep him if they can"

Probally? haha. Ask anyone who actually watched him play, instead of stat hunting like this writer obviosly did and they'll tell you that Bernier's game has really developed this year into a complete all around powerforward who has good scoring upside. Top six powerforward IMO.

BTW I think the article is moot, but it's a good read.

The NHL won't punish teams for what they were told to do and not sign these kids and let their guys become free agents.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
It is astounding to read here that in fact some do expect NHL teams to pass on Bernier, Jacques and Roussin, 3 of the best forwards of the CHL.

THese comments must be coming from out West where people did not see them play.

But I am not too worried for them as NHL scouts, on the contrary, did see them play.

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
In fact I'd go so far as to suggest that Seabrook was taken too high.

I don't care if anyone feels he was picked too high, but I'm happy with him. He was Norfolk's best D'man for the playoffs. Shows you he at least has some potential to step in the professional ranks with some confidence.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
speeds said:
The Oilers already signed Stortini to an entry level contract. Pouliot, Jacques, and Bodie are the 2003 Oilers CHL draftees currently unsigned.
LOL, if that's true, then they can't even do their homework ;)

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
kremlin said:
An interesting article, although I don't see how a few of these players have 'improved their stock for the better' - namely: Brent Seabrook, Steve Bernier, Shawn Belle, Zachery Stortini, Francois-Pierre Guenette, Zbynek Hrdel.

What have they done to improve their stock?

http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/hockey/extras.cgi?unsigned-CHLers

steve Bernier has improved leaps and bounds since his draft day. Once a sluggish highly skilled player who only showed up at times on the ice, he know plays good two way...hit alot...goes to the net...gives 100% now on the ice and always moving...all that to go along with great talent. He improved quite a bit actually. There were games in Moncton that he was 1st or 2nd star in one of their wins but he had no points....the guy is just great on the ice now.

CurtisJD13

Feb 9, 2005
I don't think Seabrook was taken too high at all...in fact, I think he's extremely underrated. He's not as good as Phaneuf or Coburn, but he's definately worth a 1st round pick IMO. Seeing him play once this year won me over as a fan of his, he seems like a born leader and a very talented puck mover.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
chsb said:
It is astounding to read here that in fact some do expect NHL teams to pass on Bernier, Jacques and Roussin, 3 of the best forwards of the CHL.

THese comments must be coming from out West where people did not see them play.

But I am not too worried for them as NHL scouts, on the contrary, did see them play.

I don't think the article is meaning to imply that those 3 players (or other examples from WHL or OHL) are just being ignored by their teams. it takes two sides to negotiate a deal, and the teams will need to come to terms with a player that may or may not share the same opinion on how much they are worth, no different than the Flames and Jarrett Stoll or countless other examples. I don't think there were any attempts to slight the Q in all of this. pretty sure it's an Ontario based site, but not positive

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
Bryanbryoil said:
Needless to say as an Oiler fan I would be absolutely LIVID if he was not signed.
Why? Yes, he'll most likely be an NHL player, but I don't see him cracking the top 2 lines in Edmonton anytime soon. The Oilers have tons of 3rd and 4th line players, so would it really be all that bad? Yes, it sucks to lose an asset, but it's not like losing a bluechipper like Carter.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
CurtisJD13 said:
I don't think Seabrook was taken too high at all...in fact, I think he's extremely underrated. He's not as good as Phaneuf or Coburn, but he's definately worth a 1st round pick IMO. Seeing him play once this year won me over as a fan of his, he seems like a born leader and a very talented puck mover.
1st round pick, yes, no doubt. 14th overall though?

King_Brown

If they redid the draft there is no doubt in my mind Dion Phanuef would of been 1st overall. Its the same as Bill Parcells getting giddy about a player, when Uncle Sutter bearhugs a draft choice, you know something is right.

I think Jeff Carter would of been top 5 also.

If we didn't take Phanuef the next player on our board was Mike Richards.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
King_Brown said:
If they redid the draft there is no doubt in my mind Dion Phanuef would of been 1st overall. Its the same as Bill Parcells getting giddy about a player, when Uncle Sutter bearhugs a draft choice, you know something is right.

I think Jeff Carter would of been top 5 also.

If we didn't take Phanuef the next player on our board was Mike Richards.

What about Bergeron???

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
kremlin said:
Why? Yes, he'll most likely be an NHL player, but I don't see him cracking the top 2 lines in Edmonton anytime soon. The Oilers have tons of 3rd and 4th line players, so would it really be all that bad? Yes, it sucks to lose an asset, but it's not like losing a bluechipper like Carter.
Simple. You said it yourself. Asset with potential? Why wouldn't they sign him?

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
CurtisJD13 said:

He didn't step up in the playoffs and lead his team on the ice in the games I saw.

Sure he's worth a 1st round pick but that was the deepest draft in a decade and I'd much rather have several guys that went behind him including Parise, Getzlaf, Stuart, Kesler, Richards, Weber and others. He's closer to Shawn Belle than he is to Coburn and Phaneuf IMO.

I don't see how he's "extremely underrated". If anything I'd say he's overrated on these boards due to his draft position.

Last edited:

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
He didn't step up in the playoffs and lead his team on the ice in the games I saw.

Sure he's worth a 1st round pick but that was the deepest draft in a decade and I'd much rather have several guys that went behind him including Parise, Getzlaf, Stuart, Kesler, Richards, Weber and others. He's closer to Shawn Belle than he is to Coburn and Phaneuf IMO.

I don't see how he's "extremely underrated". If anything I'd say he's overrated on these boards due to his draft position.
I agree, Belle and Seabrook are close, though I'd still much rather have Seabrook than Belle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->