News Article: 2003-04 Penguins

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I didn't enjoy watching the Gen X team play a single minute. But I did enjoy getting really drunk with my brother and going to games for less than the price of a round of drinks, so YMMV.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
In dark ages of Mike Johnston as HC, I posted that I preferred watching the Gen X games over what I was seeing

Likewise. And I meant it. Being a fan of that Johnston team was just miserable.

I do think we tend to romanticize how 'fun' it was back then, though. The games themselves were a blast because expectations were non-existent, tickets were dirt cheap, and the average age inside the Igloo was like 20....but between the impending lockout and the arena issue looming overhead, it was as much a time of 'enjoy it while it lasts' as anything else for me.

Last edited:

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The HOH board had a thread recently talking about Abid and Fata. Post #6 sums up Fata pretty perfectly

I remember speaking with a scout about Fata when he was in the AHL, about how he was always the fastest guy on the ice.

The scout agreed, noted that he would be one of the fastest guys in the NHL too, and he could get to the wrong place on the ice faster than anyone...

Ouch.

Why didn't they pan out?: Ramzi Abid, Rico Fata, Simon Gamache

Last edited:

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
I have this odd memory from around this time that stands out in my mind. I'm sitting in my room as a teenager listening to the radio on my end table, espn1250 with Madden is on, he's talking about some rumor about a last minute deal with Lemieux at the forefront trying to save the season before the deadline for the full season lockout. Think I was playing some video game while listening off and on hoping they'd save the season.

Anyone else possibly remember this rumor/time period? Think it was like the week before the lockout deadline.

I watched that video over and over with Quicktime. Morozov tugging on his jersey still gets me.

I was at that game, opposite end of the rink from Morozov's goal, remember staring at the strobe lights in the ceiling during pre-game being a worthwhile activity to pass the time to a younger dumber me.

Reactions: Konstantin Koltsov

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I remember seeing them play the Devils in New Jersey. I can't remember the year but I think may have been the year before the lockout that led to the Sid lottery. Think they lost 6-1. It was bad.

But the dark years make the good feel so much sweeter.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I have this odd memory from around this time that stands out in my mind. I'm sitting in my room as a teenager listening to the radio on my end table, espn1250 with Madden is on, he's talking about some rumor about a last minute deal with Lemieux at the forefront trying to save the season before the deadline for the full season lockout. Think I was playing some video game while listening off and on hoping they'd save the season.

Anyone else possibly remember this rumor/time period? Think it was like the week before the lockout deadline.

I was at that game, opposite end of the rink from Morozov's goal, remember staring at the strobe lights in the ceiling during pre-game being a worthwhile activity to pass the time to a younger dumber me.
It was actually first reported by Eklund.... remember him?? but it turned out to be true.

Mario and Wayne flew and met with some players and union reps to try and save the season which wasn't savable. Then the players got bent over that summer(in reality it was the best thing to ever happen to the league and many players gotta appear foolish looking back on it).

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Pardon the odd bump, but I thought this was the best thread for this: Penguins Top 20 prospects - Hockey's Future

I remember reading this (or something like it about our prospect pipeline) and getting pumped. Also interesting that the 17th (Moulson) and 20th put together good NHL careers. A few tidbits.

Noah Welch (damn I remember thinking he was gonna be a mainstay for us):
Expectations remain high for this second round choice. He is already one of the more well-rounded defensemen in college hockey and is a solid future second defensive pairing for the Penguins.

Sergei Anshankov
It has always been a question of “when” and not “whether” he would come into his own.

Michael Sivek:
Time might be running out for Sivek. However, if he manages to put things all together, there is no limit to impact he can have in the NHL.

Christensen:
because of the glimpses of awesome offensive talent that he teases fans with on a nightly basis.

I love these kinds of lists to look back on. I wind up looking these guys up to see where they ended up.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Boy does this picture bring back memories.
XGen_BusShelter.jpg

This was the first season I really, actually got into following the Penguins. It really did make that '09 cup all the more satisfying. Made me get a bit defensive too toward all the people who I feel didn't care about the Penguins when times were tough and a move to Kansas City was a realistic possibility, but came on board when times were good with prime Crosby/Malkin and so forth. (Not to knock new fans - just saying I know a decent amount of people who were OKAY with them moving when they sucked but became fans when they got good).
Why does Brooks Orpik look like Slim Shady

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Pardon the odd bump, but I thought this was the best thread for this: Penguins Top 20 prospects - Hockey's Future

I remember reading this (or something like it about our prospect pipeline) and getting pumped. Also interesting that the 17th (Moulson) and 20th put together good NHL careers. A few tidbits.

Noah Welch (damn I remember thinking he was gonna be a mainstay for us):

Sergei Anshankov

Michael Sivek:

Christensen:

I love these kinds of lists to look back on. I wind up looking these guys up to see where they ended up.

Staal is what I thought Salmonsson was going to be.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
From around this time there was a show called "Chasing the Dream" that featured the baby Pens.

I remember watching this during recovery times in training. Lots of old school names on there. Army was a rookie so...2001-2002 season?

It may be out there somewhere. Good watch

Reactions: steelcityassault

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
From around this time there was a show called "Chasing the Dream" that featured the baby Pens.

I remember watching this during recovery times in training. Lots of old school names on there. Army was a rookie so...2001-2002 season?

It may be out there somewhere. Good watch

I have the DVD set.. I put some of it on Youtube should still be there. Yes Colby was a rookie and he goes to McDonald's in it because the team doctor said he needs to get his calories up :laugh:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I have the DVD set.. I put some of it on Youtube should still be there. Yes Colby was a rookie and he goes to McDonald's in it because the team doctor said he needs to get his calories up :laugh:

I use his quote from that scene a lot. "Did I hear you right? I can do that. For you."

The apartment was classic. The rookie party was funny too. "omg Im so sorry mom"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->