News Article: 2003-04 Penguins

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
This article reminds me why I miss Dick Tarnstrom and Milan Kraft so bad

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Boy does this picture bring back memories.
XGen_BusShelter.jpg

This was the first season I really, actually got into following the Penguins. It really did make that '09 cup all the more satisfying. Made me get a bit defensive too toward all the people who I feel didn't care about the Penguins when times were tough and a move to Kansas City was a realistic possibility, but came on board when times were good with prime Crosby/Malkin and so forth. (Not to knock new fans - just saying I know a decent amount of people who were OKAY with them moving when they sucked but became fans when they got good).

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm an out of town fan so the Pens have never been my "home team", so to speak. The potential move didn't really bother me much, but I'm glad they stuck around.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I remember delivering papers at the time and not even reading the sports pages because I was so depressed.
I broke my blackberry in anger thinking Jimmy Balls was going to buy the team and move them.

Yeah, this one kid in my class kept saying no one cares if the Pens move and that no one is a fan of them.

Then Crosby comes in and he's such a huge fan. Screw that guy.
It was fans like that, that made people hate us for a long time and even now.

Those times were so dark, I even read up on Gilbert Brule and tried to hope he'd be a solid enough duo with Malkin if he was ever allowed out of his contract.

Thank god for Crosby and some people smuggling.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Good times. I got real into the pens with Mario’s comeback and we were actually good for a couple years. I remember thinking Ryan Malone was going to be amazing and turn it around for us after his rookie year and some cool goals he scored.

Good times. They’ll happen to us again I’m sure. Things go in cycles.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
I remember being high as a kite over Fleury, I was so convinced that he was going to be some world beater goalie that could put this team on his back and will them into winning.

Didn't end up turning out that way but he's a near bonafide HOF lock that made major contributions to 3 Cup runs and 2 Cup wins all while being a soldier for this organization. I have not been a crazy MAF fan for about 10 years but I still love the guy for always being there for the team and fans in bad times and in good.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I remember those days all too well.

Thats why I am so disappointed in so many of you for bickering the way you do. Zero appreciation at times.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I really do wonder what the 05-06 and 06-07 etc seasons would have been like had Morozov came back. Imagine him and Sid or Malkin. Imagine Lemieux-Crosby-Morozov

Reactions: Tweed and theicebox

BrokenStick

Feb 8, 2004
Ellwood City, PA
These boards were so hopeful back then. People's avatars were mostly jersey mockups of players we thought we'd be picking.

A whole lot of Pens jerseys with Ovechkin 8 on them. A few Malkin 17 ones as well.

A lot of humor directed at the futility of the team. Rico Data going offside. "Ian Moran is a bad defenseman who makes bad plays."

And the hope at the end of the season when they went on a good run but were still worst in the league. There was a lot of love for Edzo as the coach at the very end of that season.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I remember delivering papers at the time and not even reading the sports pages because I was so depressed.

Started with the Jagr trade. Waking up every morning to dial up the internet...waiting for it to connect hoping it didnt happen. Finally did...and the return....

Ha.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Other than the threats of moving, it was still kinda a fun time. The team sucked but I'm a huge underdog fan.

But at some point it became "can they just not lose by five tonight?"

That sucked. But you had huge beacons of hope that they'd figure out the draft.

MAF, Sid and Geno all gave hope.

I just didn't want to see JS Aubin or Chiodo anymore lol. My standards were low by this point.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Other than the threats of moving, it was still kinda a fun time. The team sucked but I'm a huge underdog fan.

But at some point it became "can they just not lose by five tonight?"

That sucked. But you had huge beacons of hope that they'd figure out the draft.

MAF, Sid and Geno all gave hope.

I just didn't want to see JS Aubin or Chiodo anymore lol. My standards were low by this point.

Was also fun adding guys like Leclair, Palffy, Recchi, Gonchar, etc all at once to go with those young guys.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I remember lighting prayer candles to keep Kelly Buchberger from getting beat down yet again like every other game. :laugh: And the standing ovation when he scored his only goal of the year was insane!

Reactions: KIRK

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
MALONE: “I remember celebrating in Phoenix and jumping up in the pile like, ‘We actually won!’ And somehow my right skate got up high enough where it cut Konstantin Koltsov across the neck. He needed to get stitches. It wasn’t deep. I remember cutting his neck and now I tell my kids, ‘Don’t jump on the pile! Don’t jump on your goalie.’ It’s all because [of] that 18-game losing streak in Pittsburgh.”

I didn't know that.

Reactions: EightyOne

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->