2002 Draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
I'm in a league which is running the 01-02 season, 02 draft is coming up this summer.

I have my own opinions, but I am wondering what some others think about who's stock has risen and who's has fallen? Making a draft list 2 years after the players were drafted is tough because it's hard to judge development when most of these guys haven't played in the NHL yet. But with that said, obviously guys like Lehtonen, Nash and Pitkanen have proven they can play. Along with a guy like Grebeshkov, who would be taken higher if the draft was done today.

What I'm asking is for your opinions on any player taken in the first 2 rounds of the draft. Rank the top 30 players taken if you want.... who would fall out of the 1st round, who would take their spot? What 2nd rounders should have been taken later? Any players taken in late rounds(5-9) who have vastly improved and now look as though they can become NHL players? Any opinions would be great, thanks.

Prucha73

Busts: Taticek, Nystrom, Koreis, Klepis, Bergenheim, Falardeau

Surprises: Petr Prucha and Jarkko Immonen both in the 8th round, Stoll, Stajan, Lombardi

Soyuz

Dec 8, 2003
Visit site
Russians:

Stock Reduced: Ivan Koltsov, Alexei Stonkus (serious injury), Vladislav Evseev, Kaigorodov (slightly - not a good season),

Stock Boosted: Grot, Kiril Koltsov, Anshakov, Atyushov, Baranov, Semin, Shkotov

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Prucha73 said:

EXTREMELY premature on several of those guys. Certainly Bergenheim and Nystrom are still legit prospects as are probably several more of the guys on your list.

Pretty stupid to call them busts at this point, same thing people said about Saprykin two years ago and he was playing for the Western Conference Champions this year. In fact calling those guys busts at this point is "Ignore List" worthy.

What an overused term especially when describing drafts that really can't be judged yet.

As for rising stock? Matt Lombardi is an NHL player and was taken in the 3rd round. With the weakness of this draft it's likely he would go in the first in the draft were re-done.

Last edited:

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Bergenheim is not a bust at this point. The Isles were very happy with his play when he was with the team, and he was only allowed to go back to Europe in order for him to get more ice time, as there is no way he could crack the top 3 lines with Yashin, Peca, Scatchard on the team.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
bergenheim played in the NHL last year, then played at the WJC, finnish the season in Finland before comming in the AHL finnishing ammong the best scorers of Bridgeport.

How can he be called a bust when he will play in the NHL for sure on a third line? Forward drafted in the first round or not top two lines players for sure, specially in a poor draft like in 2002. You can't call Bergenheim a bust.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Higgins could be higher at this point. He start his proffessional career in the NHL but only played 2 games because of the team depht. After that, he was the best rookie in the AHL for point per game. He's a versatile player who can play on every foward position. I would rank him around the 9th-10th position if the draft was redone.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
For the Habs draft,

14th Chris Higgins Gone Up
45th Tomas Linhart Gone Down
99th Michael Lambert Gone up slightly
182 Andre Deveaux Gone Down
212 Jonathan Ferland Stayed the same/gone up slightly
275 Konstantin Korneyev Gone up for sure

Prucha73

Flames Draft Watcher said:
EXTREMELY premature on several of those guys. Certainly Bergenheim and Nystrom are still legit prospects as are probably several more of the guys on your list.

Pretty stupid to call them busts at this point, same thing people said about Saprykin two years ago and he was playing for the Western Conference Champions this year. In fact calling those guys busts at this point is "Ignore List" worthy.

What an overused term especially when describing drafts that really can't be judged yet.

As for rising stock? Matt Lombardi is an NHL player and was taken in the 3rd round. With the weakness of this draft it's likely he would go in the first in the draft were re-done.

I meant that they have been disappointing so far, it is too early to call them busts.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
montreal said:
212 Jonathan Ferland Stayed the same/gone up slightly

Ferland stayed the same?!?! I tough he could have go pretty much higher then the 212 pick...I know he won't play on a top 2 line but he could be a decent 3rd-4th line grinder no? This is why I would say gone up...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Ferland stayed the same?!?! I tough he could have go pretty much higher then the 212 pick...I know he won't play on a top 2 line but he could be a decent 3rd-4th line grinder no? This is why I would say gone up...

He had a great year after being drafted, and was decent in the AHL this year. I could see him going up, but he needs to work on his skating/foot speed a bit.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Prucha73 said:

Surprises: Petr Prucha and Jarkko Immonen both in the 8th round, Stoll, Stajan, Lombardi

This is why i recommend you stop posting and just start reading for awhile Prucha73.

Prucha73

Bluenote13 said:
This is why i recommend you stop posting and just start reading for awhile Prucha73.

I will post if I want to. My point is if I had a chance to draft over again, I would not take those players that high. So I recommend you to stop recommending me things.

X-SHARKIE

Sharks 1st rounder Mike Morris, still is one of my faveroite picks of the draft, at first I didn't know what to think of the pick, but the more I watch him play the more I think Mike Morris was a steal.

His NCAA stats might not jump out at you, but do remember he is on one bad bad team. He'll be a top six forward.

Rick Nash ...went up..LOL. I would take Pitkanen over J-BO.

I still think Hannu Toivonen is underated and should be getting the hype that most top 10's get. He is a very special goalie, one of the best goaltender prospects in the NHL.
Another goalie David Leneveu shouldn't be overlooked as well.

Ryan Whitney seems to have put it together...Lupul is a stud.

Another one I like is Alexei Shotkov. He's going to be a good forward IMO, and he should be a steal because he has almost 0 hype. Also if P/M means any thing in your league Matt Jones ....Phoenix property, well be a horse.

Here is a big steal IMO, Frans Nielsen...He could be a good player and he'll go untouched for most of the draft.

And don't forget about Rangers Nathan Guenin. He's NHL ready they say.

Matt Foy of the Wild stock has risen allllot. Those are some good players that could be uncovered in the draft.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
For the Pens:
5-Whitney; His stock seemed to fall after draft, but has now risen. Potential #1 d-man.
35-Ondrej Nemec; see Whitney. Potential top 6 d-man.
69-Erik Christensen; His stock rose after a 54 goal 108 point season leading the WHL in goals and points, but has fallen after a bad season. Potential 2nd liner, though I doubt he makes in the NHL, too soft, although he has great hands.
101-Daniel Fernholm; Fell before draft (was expected to go in first round, maybe even top 10) due to injuries, but has risen since. Potential top 4 d-man, likely top 6.
171-Bobby Geopfert; has risen after a very good WJC. Potential backup.
202-Patrick Bartschi; see Geopfert. Possible 2nd line sniper, though I'm not as sold on him as most Pens fans.
234-Maxime Talbot; His stock has rocketed after two great years in the Q, looks to be a good 3rd liner.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
nomorekids said:
Brandon Segal was picked in the fourth round by the Preds, and is now one of our top prospects. Think a meaner, better skating version of Scott Hartnell.

Wow, I've seen Segal for the Hitmen and that isn't a very good description IMO. Hartnell is far, far superior.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Wow, I've seen Segal for the Hitmen and that isn't a very good description IMO. Hartnell is far, far superior.

Segal impressed everyone the second he hit Milwaukee, though. I can't speak for the Hitmen, since I didn't see him then(though he was putting up very good numbers) but Eriks, Nashville's writer(and Milwaukee resident) said we've got someone very special on our hands in Brandon.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
nomorekids said:
Segal impressed everyone the second he hit Milwaukee, though. I can't speak for the Hitmen, since I didn't see him then(though he was putting up very good numbers) but Eriks, Nashville's writer(and Milwaukee resident) said we've got someone very special on our hands in Brandon.

Still you don't think comparing him to Hartnell and then saying he's better in several aspects is a little ridiculous? Gives me the impression you think he'll be a better player than Hartnell.

I hope that's not the case...

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Still you don't think comparing him to Hartnell and then saying he's better in several aspects is a little ridiculous? Gives me the impression you think he'll be a better player than Hartnell.

I hope that's not the case...

i'm not saying he'll be better than hartnell. hartnell is a poor skater(though improving), but i'm not even coming close to suggesting that segal has the skillset that hartnell has(i think hartnell is eerily similar to a young Doan) but i do think segal can be a quality 2nd-3rd line power forward

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
For the Stars

Rise:
Trevor Daley(43rd overall)- only dropped this far because of everyone's obsession with size.
Tobias Stephan(34th overall)- 2nd ranked Euro goalie after Lehtonen, was having a fantastic season in Switzerland until hip surgery
Marius Holtet(42nd overall)- 19 year old signed before a top prospect like Jussi Jokinen, probably in the AHL this year. No defensive game though.

Fall:
Martin Vagner(26th overall)- Not signed, probably wont get re-drafted until the 5th round or later.
Janos Vas(32nd overall)- Surprise pick at the time has struggled with injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad