2002 and before Russian draft choices

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
Did the Russian players drafted in 2002 and before fall in line with the June 1st deadline for signings? Or have they been given a grace period to be signed due to the Russian Federation/NHL agreement with Tretiak, et al.?

I am curious because the Sabres have a few Russian draft choices from 2002 and before, and I am wondering if the Russian players drafted from 2002 and before are now unrestricted free agents.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
SuperNintendoChalmrs said:
Did the Russian players drafted in 2002 and before fall in line with the June 1st deadline for signings? Or have they been given a grace period to be signed due to the Russian Federation/NHL agreement with Tretiak, et al.?

I am curious because the Sabres have a few Russian draft choices from 2002 and before, and I am wondering if the Russian players drafted from 2002 and before are now unrestricted free agents.

I presume teams still have the rights to anyone out of Russia drafted as far back as 2000 up until next summer. Next summer the rights to everyone drafted up to 2004 are lost, I believe...

However, I would like confirmation as well.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
My (very limited) understanding on this:

June 1, 2006 - All Europeans drafted in 2000 and prior had to be signed or rights were lost.
June 1, 2007 - All Europeans from the draft years 2001-2003 have to be signed
June 1, 2008 - All Europeans from the draft years 2004-2006 have to be signed

Then things are current on the "2 year" rule. Admittedly though, I can't trace anything in the CBA that spells this out ... it's what I'm implying based on what other teams are saying about how long they've got to sign certain draft picks. The rule for Canadian players pretty much stays as it had been before, with a few tweaks here and there.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Irish Blues said:
My (very limited) understanding on this:

June 1, 2006 - All Europeans drafted in 2000 and prior had to be signed or rights were lost.
June 1, 2007 - All Europeans from the draft years 2001-2003 have to be signed
June 1, 2008 - All Europeans from the draft years 2004-2006 have to be signed

Then things are current on the "2 year" rule. Admittedly though, I can't trace anything in the CBA that spells this out ... it's what I'm implying based on what other teams are saying about how long they've got to sign certain draft picks. The rule for Canadian players pretty much stays as it had been before, with a few tweaks here and there.

That's not what I've read/heard. From what I know it's june 1st '06 for all Euro picks up to and including '02. Then it's june 1st '07 for '03 and '05 (hence the 2 year window) Then it's june 1st '08 for '04 and '06.

I've heard but not read that Russian picks get an extra year but never saw it anywhere.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
montreal said:
That's not what I've read/heard. From what I know it's june 1st '06 for all Euro picks up to and including '02. Then it's june 1st '07 for '03 and '05 (hence the 2 year window) Then it's june 1st '08 for '04 and '06.
My mistake - your explanation on this is correct. As for the Russian picks, I think that extra year only applies to the 2001 and 2002 years but like you, I've not seen anything in writing to substantiate this.

Holly Gunning

Mar 9, 2002
out and about
Visit site

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Holly Gunning said:
I got confirmation of the extension to 2007 from the Thrashers and talk about it here:

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=8849&mode=threaded&order=0

Thanks, I am currently working an article for which this will be very useful. So to sumarize: any team still has the rights to any Russian player they drafted as far back as 2000 if they have not willingly relinquished those rights. Next summer all teams will lose rights to the Russians drafted 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005. The summer of '08 will see teams lose the rights to 2004 and 2006 prospects. We can probably thus expect a big signing frenzy next year.

Also, I interested why the Thrashers cannot bring Nikulin over for next year? Is this applicable to all prospects or does something make Nikulin a special case? I mean as far as I know Malkin can be signed and can play next year. Heck, Yakubov was signed and brought over midway through the season. :amazed:

Holly Gunning

Mar 9, 2002
out and about
Visit site
Slitty said:
Also, I interested why the Thrashers cannot bring Nikulin over for next year? Is this applicable to all prospects or does something make Nikulin a special case?
I thought I made it clear there, but perhaps not. Past June 15, Europeans are bound to play in their current country unless their teams release them from their current contract. In other words, before that date, they can break a contract, after it, no.

Yakubov must have been released by his team.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Holly Gunning said:
I thought I made it clear there, but perhaps not. Past June 15, Europeans are bound to play in their current country unless their teams release them from their current contract. In other words, before that date, they can break a contract, after it, no.

Yakubov must have been released by his team.

So no Malkin in the NHL next year unless Magnitka releases him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad