2001: Colorado Avalanche celebrates the Cup

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
usa-cover-2001-colorado-wins-bourque-roy.jpg

The two Colorado players named on the cover are obviously Ray Bourque (albeit his name is misspelled) and Patrick Roy. Can anyone identify the other Avalanche players in the background? Thanks!

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
lol...I'm gonna say the guy over Bourque's shoulder is maybe a Guy Carbonneau doppleganger?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I agree with Dave Reid over Roy's shoulders. The eyes look familiar. The one over Bourque's shoulders looks a lot like Jon Klemm and I am pretty sure it is. He was always the type of defenseman we forgot. Even in 1996 he was Ozolinsh's partner and seemed to be happy just to be a stay-at-home type. He played 22 playoff games in 2001, so he was involved, but yeah, I am quite sure that is him. It looks like him, but Klemm was so overlooked in his career that even most of us hardcore fans don't know what his face looks like.

Reactions: Troubadour

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
I agree with Dave Reid over Roy's shoulders. The eyes look familiar. The one over Bourque's shoulders looks a lot like Jon Klemm and I am pretty sure it is. He was always the type of defenseman we forgot. Even in 1996 he was Ozolinsh's partner and seemed to be happy just to be a stay-at-home type. He played 22 playoff games in 2001, so he was involved, but yeah, I am quite sure that is him. It looks like him, but Klemm was so overlooked in his career that even most of us hardcore fans don't know what his face looks like.

Reid is spot on because his temples look gray, but the other dude is not Klemm. He had grown a beard that play off. From afar, my first thought was Foote. Foote kept his hair short though.

Why do we figure it is a player?

EDIT: Skoula and Hinote are waay off. They were young and cute by then. Not like this phantom.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
images

This is Jon Klemm lifting the cup with a beard, the guy behind Bourque is clean shaven with sideburns.

I don't know why I'm so curious to solve this mystery, but I don't have any real leads. We can't see whether he's in uniform, are we sure it's a player and not a coach/trainer?

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
hockey-nhl-finals-team-photo-of-colorado-avalanche-players-victorious-picture-id156392740

There's the team photo.

And here's the celebration video for those who want to investigate further,

I don't think it's a player that's over Bourque's shoulder. If you watch the video Ziggy posted, if you go to about the 3:56 mark, you'll see somebody walk behind Bourque that looks like the guy in the photo, except he is wearing a cap this time. At the 4:06 mark, the guy appears again for a split second behind Bourque.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->