20 yo tryout question (NHL CBA related I guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
My questions is this: A 20yo player, who obviously would be an overager on a CHL team, is currently at an AHL camp on a free agent, not drafted, try out basis: could this player, if he doesn't make the AHL team, be signed to a contract of some sort and then assigned to an ECHL affliate? The player attended the NHL parent team rookie camp over the summer, and that earned him to invite to the AHL camp. Someone locally said that this player had to be AHL or CHL, with no possibility of ECHL (or other lower league). I thought any sort of rules about minor/lower pro leagues and the CHL only applied to players under 20.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Whawks33 said:
My questions is this: A 20yo player, who obviously would be an overager on a CHL team, is currently at an AHL camp on a free agent, not drafted, try out basis: could this player, if he doesn't make the AHL team, be signed to a contract of some sort and then assigned to an ECHL affliate? The player attended the NHL parent team rookie camp over the summer, and that earned him to invite to the AHL camp. Someone locally said that this player had to be AHL or CHL, with no possibility of ECHL (or other lower league). I thought any sort of rules about minor/lower pro leagues and the CHL only applied to players under 20.

It depends on whether his CHL team (a) has the option to keep the player as an overager (which would depend on the terms of his CHL contract), and (b) wants to exercise that option. If either one is not the case, then the player is free to play wherever he wants.

Practically speaking, most CHL teams would let a player "move on" to the Coast if he wanted to do that, if for no other reason that it would increase the chances that he wouldn't collect on his education package after 18 months away from the CHL.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Whawks33 said:

Yes he can go to the ECHL

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
a 20 year old is free to sign anywhere...i think in most cases the guy would return to juniors as an overager, but the echl is an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad