20 Years ago today was the last Leafs game played at Maple Leaf Gardens

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Man I loved that building. Had this certain charm to it like many of the old buildings did, and which the new buildings can’t replicate. Many memories watching games from there on TV as well as in person. Best lit arena ever.

I remember that game and day like yesterday. Sundin waving the flag after accepting it from Bower will stick with me forever.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I remember walking into my first NHL game ever at the Gardens.

Dad had scored Rail tickets from a local car dealer on a station wagon he bought. My Grandfather ended up taking me to the game.

Smell of diesel bus fuel, cold and snowy. Seeing a glimpse of the bright lights as I walked down the tunnel and then this amazing "unveiling" as I could see all the way up to the Greys. I remember other weird things like the 4 points of the shadow of the players from the bank of lights. I remember seeing puck marks on jerseys and the sweat of the players as they lined up for a face off. I remember also thinking that as cool as this was, there was this sense that the NHL wasn't this mystical thing but pretty much the game that I played every Saturday... or at least in my mind it was. Players just like me.

For a kid, this was simply amazing.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
It was actually Red Horner who passed the flag onto Sundin.

Thanks for correcting me. Bower just seemed like the central figure for everything Maple Leafs.

I remember that ending to the ceremony left a lot of people puzzled, and it seemed kind of incomplete. But it was still something that will always stick with me.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Thanks for correcting me. Bower just seemed like the central figure for everything Maple Leafs.

I remember that ending to the ceremony left a lot of people puzzled, and it seemed kind of incomplete. But it was still something that will always stick with me.
I know some people who said the ceremony was not as good compared to when Montreal played their last game at the Forum. However I thought the Leafs did a good job with it at the time.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Closed a year before I was born, but my dad had this game taped. I remember as a kid watching this game a few times, getting caught up in the history of that building, and wishing I had been alive to see a Leafs game in it. Home of the Leafs during their brightest and darkest days. Maybe I'll watch that tape again.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Dad had scored Rail tickets from a local car dealer on a station wagon he bought. My Grandfather ended up taking me to the game.

Smell of diesel bus fuel, cold and snowy. Seeing a glimpse of the bright lights as I walked down the tunnel and then this amazing "unveiling" as I could see all the way up to the Greys. I remember other weird things like the 4 points of the shadow of the players from the bank of lights. I remember seeing puck marks on jerseys and the sweat of the players as they lined up for a face off. I remember also thinking that as cool as this was, there was this sense that the NHL wasn't this mystical thing but pretty much the game that I played every Saturday... or at least in my mind it was. Players just like me.

I remember my first game at the Gardens I was 8 years old and my Dad got the tickets through his work because he use to work at Donruss Sports Cards. The Leafs were playing the Red Wings and we got Gold seats behind the visitors net and entrance where they would come out onto the ice.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

Love reading stories like this.

For me, it was getting off of College Station and walking to the arena. Knowing you were feet away from entering the shrine. Scalpers at every few steps calling out their patented "Tickets...who needs tickets?" Then walking in it just smelled like...hockey. I legit can smell that stale popcorn in my nose to this day.

Having taken my son to a few games now at Scotiabank Arena, I get to see through his eyes now what I experienced back then. It's pretty special.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I remember my first game at the Gardens I was 8 years old and my Dad got the tickets through his work because he use to work at Donruss Sports Cards. The Leafs were playing the Red Wings and we got Gold seats behind the visitors net and entrance where they would come out onto the ice.

Did the game end 3-3? That was my first one. ;)

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Love reading stories like this.

For me, it was getting off of College Station and walking to the arena. Knowing you were feet away from entering the shrine. Scalpers at every few steps calling out their patented "Tickets...who needs tickets?" Then walking in it just smelled like...hockey. I legit can smell that stale popcorn in my nose to this day.

Having taken my son to a few games now at Scotiabank Arena, I get to see through his eyes now what I experienced back then. It's pretty special.

Good call. I forgot about the scalpers. I couldn't believe they had a hockey arena in a small building like that.

I hear you with the kids. I've made a point of going to a variety of games/concerts that are important to them. Jays, Argos, TFC... TFC Road Trips... Coldplay a couple of years ago was an unexpected and amazing experience... August with the Dome open and the kids actually enjoyed it (17 & 13). Hitting up twentyonepilots in a few months. Sports or art or music... just great seeing the world through their eyes as you say.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I went to a bunch of games at the Gardens over the years, starting in the 60's. The ACC just doesn't have it.

The biggest pity is that they had to move the HHOF from its original location in the CNE grounds, a couple of years before we left the Gardens. Can you think of a better or more appropriate spot for the HHOF than Maple Leaf Gardens?

The old Montreal Forum is the only possible other opinion.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
My grandfather used to have season tickets, front row greens. I have seen concerts, wrestling there, I played against the Marlies there, visitor dressing rooms were tiny

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I'll always remember my first game at the Gardens. My mom finally wore down my dad to spring for scalper tickets because I was so hockey-crazy.

Walking through the tunnel from the concourse to our seats during warmup, I was in absolute awe. The sounds of the puck hitting the boards...Brad Marsh skating around with no bucket.

The Leafs lost that night to the Rangers 8-2. Allan Bester got the hook for Jeff Reese in the third period. Eddie Olczyk potted one (that was originally awarded to Luke Richardson). There was at least one scrap (I want to say Scott Pearson?). Brian Leetch suffered a devastating leg injury (might've ended his season). Ah, memories!

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
I bought a frying pan from the Loblaw’s that is there now. It’s ok I guess. I’d probably go a different route the next time I buy a frying pan, but overall a solid experience.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
I think I have my VHS tapes that I recorded the game on somewhere.. Lots of memories there! My dad took me to 1 game a year and a playoff game if they made it, and we stood outside after the games to get autographs. I still have the hat I wore to the games that I always got signed. No idea who's on it other than Ken Dryden though lol. I should take the time to figure that out one day..

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I saw some fantastic games at the Gardens. I miss the sound of the place the most. NHL games now are so loud and annoying always with songs playing and stupid contests. Back at the Gardens you'd get times you could hear the drunk guy up in the nosebleeds screaming "YOU FKN SUCK MODANO!!!!"

Sat in the golds in the playoffs behind the net vs St Louis when Cujo stopped 62 and Potvin stopped 53 and Dougie scored that epic goal.

Collapsed a lung screaming after Stumpy Thomas scored the OT winner vs Ottawa in the Playoffs. Berezin with the setup.

Was at the game vs NJ when Domi almost killed Niedermeyer with the elbow. When NJ retaliated we all knew we were going to lose.

Saw Gretzky's last game at the Gardens.

Watched the Legion of Doom scored 4 goals in the first period, and we got kicked out because my buddy was so drunk he started screaming profanity.

So many good.memories

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad