GDT: #20: Lightning 6 at FLYERS 5 (OT), Saturday, Nov. 17 2018, 1:00 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The results are similar to what they were doing under Lavi and Berube.

I'm starting to think it's the players, and a function of styles and the changing NHL>

Giroux, Voracek, even Weal are "stop and survey" type players, Giroux and Weal hold the puck looking for a pass, Voracek holds the puck and skates with it hoping something will open up.

Couts, JVR and Simmonds simply aren't suited to an up tempo game.

What has changed is the 4th line can skate and forecheck, but they lack the puck skills to be an offensive force. But they create havoc now instead of sitting back on their heels.

The three up tempo players are Patrick, Lindblom and TK.
Giroux can play up tempo but it's not as natural for him, coming into the league when the game was slower and more deliberate.
Voracek can still skate, but he's so used to holding the puck it's also hard for him to adjust.

I don't think you need 9 guys flying up and down the ice, but in today's game you need more than the Flyers have.
So just getting a coach who wants to play more up tempo won't be enough, Flyers need more forwards who can skate and have the skills to make things happen on the fly.

Good God, it's 3 drastically different systems. The results aren't anything alike. Stop lying.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The results are similar to what they were doing under Lavi and Berube.

I'm starting to think it's the players, and a function of styles and the changing NHL>

Giroux, Voracek, even Weal are "stop and survey" type players, Giroux and Weal hold the puck looking for a pass, Voracek holds the puck and skates with it hoping something will open up.

Couts, JVR and Simmonds simply aren't suited to an up tempo game.

What has changed is the 4th line can skate and forecheck, but they lack the puck skills to be an offensive force. But they create havoc now instead of sitting back on their heels.

The three up tempo players are Patrick, Lindblom and TK.
Giroux can play up tempo but it's not as natural for him, coming into the league when the game was slower and more deliberate.
Voracek can still skate, but he's so used to holding the puck it's also hard for him to adjust.

I don't think you need 9 guys flying up and down the ice, but in today's game you need more than the Flyers have.
So just getting a coach who wants to play more up tempo won't be enough, Flyers need more forwards who can skate and have the skills to make things happen on the fly.
I agree with most of what you said, but I think you have an incredible blind spot for Patrick & Lindblom. I like both of them, but uptempo they are not. Indeed, they are more of the same — below average speed for skill players in 2018-19. I’d really prefer they be 3rd liners this season where the team isn’t relying on them so much. I’ll harp again on my belief they need another dynamic forward who *can* play a skating game. Put him with JVR & either TK or Jak on line 2 & then you’ve got a forward group that can do real damage in 18/19.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
In a sick way, I do wonder what it would take.

A part of me thinks even a 10 gamer wouldn’t get Hextall to do it. I want this to get as painful as possible. Want the fire Hex/Hak chants to be heard and not even the fanboy media crew to be able to drown them out. Its purely laughing at the dark side of things at this point.

How the f*** did it come to this?

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC

A part of me thinks even a 10 gamer wouldn’t get Hextall to do it. I want this to get as painful as possible. Want the fire Hex/Hak chants to be heard and not even the fanboy media crew to be able to drown them out. Its purely laughing at the dark side of things at this point.

How the **** did it come to this?
I mean, Honk has already had two 10 game losing streaks, which, is twice as many as John Stevens had here btw.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Where the **** do you get these analogies?! Hahah

giphy.gif

Just replace them with chickens.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
he hired his sons coach like it was some brilliant coup move that could only been made by some wily insider "hockey man" ...it wasnt. now hes stubbornly waiting for his stroke of genius to pay off... it wont. his biggest concern, it seems, is to be proven right. his priority is not the team winning.

now were handcuffed by a coach who knows hes in over his head and thinks by doing the old school, tried and true he cant be blamed. his biggest concern, it seems, is to be half-ass competitive and ride this out, getting a pay cheque and not getting fired. his priority is not the team winning.

meanwhile, the fans and the actually effective players with any kind of ceiling are the ones getting ****ed. our priority is winning...maybe even a cup or two before we all ****ing die.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

How the **** did it come to this?

071215_hextall-hakstol_600.jpg

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I am again very tired. I am watching this at 3am. I woke up at 0730, and played a gig for 5 hours this afternoon an hour and a half away. This is not going to be very player specific, just a thoughts post.

First period was pretty good. Wasn't perfect but it was adequate. Generated a lot of odd man rushes. Lot of speed through the NZ. And lo and behold, in the midst of all this, they actually pushed the play! Shocking, I know.

Sanheim jumped up on a nice pinch, beat 2 Bolts to get the puck down low, then crashed the net and was open in the slot. Weise couldn't get it to him. He just worked a defenseman to draw the penalty. 3rd period he made a great spin turn to get space on the boards and make the beautiful outlet pass across the red. The confidence is coming and so am I.

Provorov, you have got to be better than that on Point.

The slash on G. NHL quality refereeing. Leads to 2 goals. Love it. The PK still sucks. What are they -16 now on combined special teams? Laughable. Oh look, Weise interfered with. And the "missed" it.

YES JAKE. The more referees "police" the game, the more ridiculous the game gets. f*** em. Give me the jabs between whistles. Unleash the f***ing peanuts. Get the crowd going. Get the blood pumping. Get the wheels spinning. Anyone who says this team lacks speed and skill need to watch this period and the 3rd period of the Panthers game. This team has what it takes and they have more coming up, especially with 2 way ability on the blue line. Unleash them and they can skate around any team in the league. Meanwhile, we have Door Hingestool telling them to be safe out there, like I tell me friends when they drive home from the bar. I am not normally a believer in "moral victories" but this team overcame some really shitty calls against and earned a sweet point.

They are bad in 3 on 3. They're too deliberate and then they just...decide to shoot. They'll have the puck and they'll just go braindead. "I'm taking this to the net and scoring. Period." It's almost like the PK: "I'm staying right here in my spot in the corner of the box because coach tells me too"

Frustrating but not at the same time. Hopefully this is the game the PP needs. The PK is just a travesty. I've stopped hoping.

Congrats to G. We are all lucky to watch one of the best to suit up this decade.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
The inherent assertion here is that shooting from far away, on purpose, makes scoring just as easy as if you set up the slot.

You know that claim is necessary for your post to actually work, right? So, do you agree with that?
There is a great piece in the Athletic by Steve Valiquette about shots and shot quality that backs up what you are saying.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You know the coach frowns upon emotional play, right? Both Hak and Berube did. If you want to see more of that then you'll need a new coach.

LOL where do you guys get this stuff from?
How about directly from Hakstols mouth?

After general manager Ron Hextall hired him in 2015, for instance, Hakstol spent some time surveying the Flyers' culture, in the locker room and during games, and decided that if anything, he said, "there was some wasted emotion, some misdirected emotion. I thought that's one thing we needed to work at correcting early on."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad