GDT: #20: Islanders at FLYERS, Saturday, Nov. 16, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
They kept their defenceman deeper in the zone and had a forward of theirs track our 1F forward into the zone. That way when our number 1 forechecking forward arrived at the puck they were almost always out numbered 2-1 while their weak side defenceman was already deep enough in the zone to be an easy passing option along the wall.

Having backed their defenceman in we should have taken advantage of them cheating by carrying more pucks into the zone and stopping up high in the zone while the late forwards drove the net hard. The Sens were giving away space but the Flyers didnt seem to adjust into those open areas.

And beyond just that game I prefer that the team was less reliant on the dump and chase even if it exposed us to dangerous turnover. Outside of Coots line I don't think we have the horses to successfully run a system based around the dump and chase. We don't have enough effective forecheckers on the other lines.

I can’t really comment in depth on the Senators’ alleged adjustments because I was watching the game at a bar, & a coworker walked in during the first period & proceeded to sit next to me & talk my ear off even though I said I was there to watch the Flyers. So I wasn’t able to focus as much as I typically am.

All I can say is that AV wants the players to make the right reads, it’s very early in his tenure, & it’s a work in progress. I tend to think if you outshoot a team 27-19, systems are probably not the main reason for the loss. I know for a fact that the Flyers failed to bury chances they needed to bury, & that their execution wasn’t sharp for much of the game.

I also disagree that the Flyers’ horses are better suited to play a skill game in the neutral zone against modern defenses than dump & chase.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Yesss. I don't even know some players anymore on rival teams which is no good because then how can I hate them??
I agree that spite deficiency is a HUGE problem in America, but all you need to do is see the sweater and it should be easy to hate them.

It's like when I stopped watching baseball for several years and thought that I knew some of these names only to have realized that it's actually that guy's son/nephew/etc.

HokieDude17

Feb 8, 2016
Hampstead, MD
We were season ticket holders in the late 2000s when they were winning cups left and right and still go to several games a year. Always fun to see live hockey even if they're not the minor league powerhouse they used to be
I used to love going to Bears games both at the old arena and the Giant Center when I was a kid. I have a picture somewhere of me holding the Calder Cup with Mike McHugh from the 1997 championship celebration. Also, game 7 of the 2006 ECF when Eric Fehr scored in OT to advance to the finals is to this day probably the best hockey game I've ever seen live.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Voracek-Giroux-Farabee
Lindblom-Couturier-Konecny
Twarynski-Hayes-JvR
Andreoff-Raffl-Pitlick

Provorov-Niskanen
Sanheim-Myers
Gostisbehere-Braun

Elliott