20 hour flight tested. NYC to Sydney

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
If the airlines can just keep all of the passengers liquored up & segregated to prevent unsolicited groping, it should be no problem. :cool:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I flew from LA to Auckland nonstop about a decade ago and could've sworn that was an actual 24-hour flight. Must've not been if a mere 20-hour flight is the new record.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I flew from LA to Auckland nonstop about a decade ago and could've sworn that was an actual 24-hour flight. Must've not been if a mere 20-hour flight is the new record.
It is greater than 24 calendar hours from LAX to AKL, due to crossing the international dateline. But actual flight time is somewhere between 13 & 15 hours.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
In 24 hours, I was able to fly from the South Island (Queenstown to Christchurch) of New Zealand to Auckland; to Sydney; to Honolulu and finally to San Francisco. (Now, it ended up being more like 30 hours due to labor stoppages in Australia with flight delays. :D)

member 157595

How do they have enough fuel for this? I didn't think even the ULR planes could do it.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
With that long a flight, I would guess they very carefully monitor luggage/cargo weight as well.
No passengers over 100 lbs were allowed on board, and they had to submit to a high colonic 24 hours before takeoff followed by strictly enforced fasting. And no complimentary peanuts were stocked by the pre-flight service crew. These purely experimental conditions will be accounted for in the final evaluation of "how passengers coped." :mad: :eviltongu :pullhair: :banghead:

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Might as well add...

The long flights that don’t make the record book

Newark-Singapore is the world’s longest scheduled service, but airlines have flown commercial planes over greater distances.
In 2005, a Pakistan International Airlines plane with 27 passengers flew from Hong Kong to London “the wrong way round” (over the Pacific) as part of a world record attempt. Preparation for the trip was painstaking. Many seats were stripped out, with space being taken up by instruments at the back, while the front section was left empty. It covered 13,422 miles in 22 hours and 22 minutes – and the record still stands.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
In 24 hours, I was able to fly from the South Island (Queenstown to Christchurch) of New Zealand to Auckland; to Sydney; to Honolulu and finally to San Francisco. (Now, it ended up being more like 30 hours due to labor stoppages in Australia with flight delays. :D)

That's a hell of an itinerary.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
@angusyoung Yep. And got even more complicated by the fact that the first flight was cancelled (mechanical; plane didn't even travel to Queenstown). AIrline chartered a little sightseeing plane for the six of us with international connections; ended up arriving as our next flight was taxing out. But fortunately Christchurch-Auckland has many flights, so just caught the next one, and still had lots of time to make international connection.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
@angusyoung Yep. And got even more complicated by the fact that the first flight was cancelled (mechanical; plane didn't even travel to Queenstown). AIrline chartered a little sightseeing plane for the six of us with international connections; ended up arriving as our next flight was taxing out. But fortunately Christchurch-Auckland has many flights, so just caught the next one, and still had lots of time to make international connection.

What a bummer to have a 15 hour flight turned in to 30. But that stuff happens from time to time. Not much of a fan personally having flights over 6-7 hours.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
What a bummer to have a 15 hour flight turned in to 30. But that stuff happens from time to time. Not much of a fan personally having flights over 6-7 hours.

No leg was more than 8 hours (Sydney-Honolulu longest). Lots of transit/waiting time (Auckland, Honolulu, etc.).

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
No leg was more than 8 hours (Sydney-Honolulu longest). Lots of transit/waiting time (Auckland, Honolulu, etc.).

None of my business,and sorry if I appear intrusive,but that is a a rather unusual itinerary. Having done LA to NZ a few times over the years direct.Long flight,but get it over with.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Quantas had this flight agreement to do "circle" flights between Australian (& NZ) cities for non Aussies. I had previously been in Cairns, Sydney, Melbourne before NZ.

Their hub was Sydney, so had to fly there from Auckland before heading to US

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad