Prospect Info: #20 Dennis Cholowski, D-Chilliwack, BCHL

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Pls dont group kindl with smith

Smith was never going to be what so many just assumed he would be, but, he is a heck of a lot better than what so many think he is.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The only other thing I can think of about Chychrun is the fact that a ton of GMs passed on him prior to the Coyotes so I can only assume there was something about him that they all balked at. The guy who did chase him was the young kid out of PHX who was looking into make a splashy move and didn't have the experience of the GMs in front of him. But that could be me just reaching for some kind of justification and rationalizing the fact we passed on him

I definitely don't think he was just trying to make a splash. Chayka said he very nearly took him at #7.

And I mean plenty of GM's balked at flaws with Getzlaf and O'Reilly, and they were flat out wrong.

We'll have to see how it shakes out. I was always high on Chychrun, I didn't just take that position after we passed on him for the sake of it. Chayka also said he wants to his D to have an identity where they just retrieve the puck and get it up ice. So I think he will take guys with flaws IF their strengths fit into that mold. He drafted Chychrun and Dineen, then picked up DeAngelo, so I think he is gearing towards that. Picked up Gogo too, who very much plays that way.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I definitely don't think he was just trying to make a splash. Chayka said he very nearly took him at #7.

And I mean plenty of GM's balked at flaws with Getzlaf and O'Reilly, and they were flat out wrong.

We'll have to see how it shakes out. I was always high on Chychrun, I didn't just take that position after we passed on him for the sake of it. Chayka also said he wants to his D to have an identity where they just retrieve the puck and get it up ice. So I think he will take guys with flaws IF their strengths fit into that mold. He drafted Chychrun and Dineen, then picked up DeAngelo, so I think he is gearing towards that. Picked up Gogo too, who very much plays that way.

Connor Murphy>Anthony DeAngelo>Jakub Chychrun all have the same connection too. They've all been scouted pretty heavily. Pretty sure Arizona scouts know what they have. DeAngelo is a big hit or miss though.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
One of the things that encouraged the wings to pick Cholowski was exactly the reason he didn't get much attention until late. Kid grew 5 inches in about a year and is still growing, without any negative impact on his co-ordination etc. Indeed, it seems it is the trajectory of his development that has them so excited. Possibly the biggest climber this draft year from what I've heard.

Certainly he seems the polar opposite to Brendan Smith, who is all energy and enthusiasm and puck-lugging and was quite physically developed at 18, but is neither the most composed nor the sharpest tool in the box. Cholowski is still growing upwards, but his style is all calmness and sharp passing despite his skating ability. And on interview he comes across as incredibly composed, assured and comfortable in his own skin for a kid of that age.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
One of the things that encouraged the wings to pick Cholowski was exactly the reason he didn't get much attention until late. Kid grew 5 inches in about a year and is still growing, without any negative impact on his co-ordination etc. Indeed, it seems it is the trajectory of his development that has them so excited. Possibly the biggest climber this draft year from what I've heard.

Certainly he seems the polar opposite to Brendan Smith, who is all energy and enthusiasm and puck-lugging and was quite physically developed at 18, but is neither the most composed nor the sharpest tool in the box. Cholowski is still growing upwards, but his style is all calmness and sharp passing despite his skating ability. And on interview he comes across as incredibly composed, assured and comfortable in his own skin for a kid of that age.

That description would normally equate to a late round pick, not a first. He's played Tier 2 Canadian Junior only and won't even be a top pairing on his college team. Wasted a first round pick.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
That description would normally equate to a late round pick, not a first. He's played Tier 2 Canadian Junior only and won't even be a top pairing on his college team. Wasted a first round pick.

Very few freshmen see top line action in college. Ryan McDonagh and Duncan Keith were not top pair on their college teams either. Jonathon Toews was not the 1st line center, the list goes on with all these wasted draft picks.

And no, I'm not comparing Cholo to these guys. I'm pointing out that the point of reference you used does not hold much water to the credibility of a draft pick.

Last edited:

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London

Given that Kronwall was the last 1st round pick in Detroit to crack the top two lines on a roster that has spent most of the last decade relying on late round picks to keep it afloat, maybe that's not a bad thing? Certainly the word from the training camp was that apart from size and strength he already plays a pro game in terms of skating, gap control, positioning and passing.

Your take would be more accurate if he was still the size he was at Christmas, but he's 6"1 now and still growing. There's a reason why many late draft coverage articles had him as a 1st round sleeper. Obviously its only time that can tell, but I'm very comfortable with the pick

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Well, he was very good at the WJC's. Either one could end up a better pro, but Fabbro is easily the better player right now. 8 pts in 7 games and many thought he outshined Chychrun. But Fabbro also has 20-30 lbs on the kid.

Why not compare apples to apples Cholo was better then Fabbro in the BCHL playoffs when it mattered. He is not better now, Cholo closed the gap during the year and eclipsed him and will continue too. Kid will gain weight and be taller, his brother is 6'3". All that matters is who evolves more, I do not see Fabbro getting that much better or bigger. Remember he played on a stacked team, that really helps the stats. Chychryn fell in the ranking and did not look good for Canada in this showcase, not a good comparision actually.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why not compare apples to apples Cholo was better then Fabbro in the BCHL playoffs when it mattered. He is not better now, Cholo closed the gap during the year and eclipsed him and will continue too. Kid will gain weight and be taller, his brother is 6'3". All that matters is who evolves more, I do not see Fabbro getting that much better or bigger. Remember he played on a stacked team, that really helps the stats. Chychryn fell in the ranking and did not look good for Canada in this showcase, not a good comparision actually.

I know how tall his brother is, you've said that several times by now.

You think Cholowski is better right now? Ok, well I think you would be in the minority there. Fabbro has probably 25 lbs on him, he is playing top pair on Canada for a reason. Better suited right now to face 18-19 year old players. I understand that Chychrun fell, but Fabbro rose because of his WJC performance.

Though I agree with you, all that really matters is who develops more at the end of the day. And that is still to be determined.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
This kid is likely going to take as long as Smith to make it to the NHL. Think glacial. This, in and of itself presents my biggest complaint with this pick: He is unlikely to be an impact player in the next 5 years. This would have been a wonderful pick if Detroit was a contender today, and didn't desperately need help at multiple positions. But, that's not where Detroit is at right now. As such, the team isn't in a position to take the long view.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This kid is likely going to take as long as Smith to make it to the NHL. Think glacial. This, in and of itself presents my biggest complaint with this pick: He is unlikely to be an impact player in the next 5 years. This would have been a wonderful pick if Detroit was a contender today, and didn't desperately need help at multiple positions. But, that's not where Detroit is at right now. As such, the team isn't in a position to take the long view.

Wait what? What the hell is advocating to tank and wanting the management to be embarrassed into changing their ways other than a long view?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Wait what? What the hell is advocating to tank and wanting the management to be embarrassed into changing their ways other than a long view?

What I am advocating for, and the clear message and indications from management, are two totally different things. The recent moves are a clear indication that the team thinks it can be competitive. As such, filling holes as quickly and as cheaply as possible with young talent is a clear need for this team. Especially because they are slowly placing themselves in cap hell with all the long term contracts to plug players.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

So your #1 Factor for drafting is who hit puberty first?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Well, please alert me when Cholowski hits it.

Seriously though, physical development is an important factor.

And Cholowski developed in leaps and bounds last year, both physically and in terms of ability. I see no reason to assume his development can't continue.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Well, please alert me when Cholowski hits it.

Seriously though, physical development is an important factor.

Yea it's important and ideal for a guy to develop early enough to get as many years possible out of their career. But Cholo isn't a Saarijarvi or Hicketts, we drafted him after his late spurt started. He could easily be bigger and as good/better of a skater than Chych and Fabbro, is it bad that it happened later? Not at all.
Also dude could kill it and go pro in 2 years - just because the plan is for him to be ready in 4-5 doesn't mean it's written in stone.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Could somebody show me defenceman who was not a top15 pick and became impact defenceman in 5 years?

I'd like to know how common and easy they are to pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Weber, Keith, Josi, Subban, Klingberg.

Parayko, Barrie, Brodie, Vatanen, Faulk.

Looking at impact defenseman, it seems like most guys that are them become them within 5 years of being drafted. Even outside the top 15.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Then what are the Red Wings doing wrong?
My opinion: the Wings have developed a weird habit of drafting guys specifically because they don't have to be signed for a long time. They've started to do this even if it involves passing up a superior talent who would have to be signed in 2 years. I think the logic is: that college or European guy has extra years to develop, so he could potentially have a higher ceiling because of the extra development time. But I'm not sure it's the brilliant plan they think it is, because they end up drafting guys much further from the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad