Prospect Info: #20 Dennis Cholowski, D-Chilliwack, BCHL

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Definitely a gamble...not gonna help us anytime soon. But at #20 no one was going to.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Steve Kournianos
‏@TheDraftAnalyst
Wings take two-way defenseman Dennis Cholowski. Smart with the puck, not very physical but perfect for possession game.

Brendan Ross
‏@RossyYoungblood
#RedWings select Dennis Cholowski with 20th pick. Excellent mobility. Good off instincts. I see a lot of growth remaining & that's enticing

Corey PronmanVerified account
‏@coreypronman
Detroit selects Cholowski. Strong second half and Playoffs opened some eyes. He skates very well and is a calm puck mover. Will need time.

OHL Prospects ‏@BrockOtten 5h5 hours ago
Non OHL Prediction 2: Dennis Cholowski goes inside the Top 20. Raw, but skating ability and offensive abilities are terrific.

Mike Morreale ‏@mikemorrealeNHL May 30
Chilliwack (BCHL) defenseman Dennis Cholowski confirmed for me he'll attend St. Cloud State in 2016-17. Also property of Prince George(WHL)

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Dennis Cholowski is a strong two-way defender.

Cholowski’s speed is slightly above average

Dennis Cholowski is a very smart defender. He seems to always be in the right position.

My take: this is a project-y guy who's no different from the kind of guy the Wings usually take. Not really offensive, not really going to contribute in the next 4 years, not really a physical specimen.

Thumbs down. This is not how you rebuild a defense.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
My take: this is a project-y guy who's no different from the kind of guy the Wings usually take. Not really offensive, not really going to contribute in the next 4 years, not really a physical specimen.

Thumbs down. This is not how you rebuild a defense.

You're going to be surprised.

He's one of the smartest defensemen in this draft that can control possession...

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Really doesn't sound like a bad pick, but wish he was going somewhere better than St.Cloud State. They haven't really developed any player of note.

Aug 6, 2012

Some pretty impressive stuff towards the end of the vid. Not sure if this is chronological but he made some very confident plays there in the latter half.

I'm much more happy with this pick compared to who we expected at 20. I think it was smart to shoot towards upside on the back end, and this kid seems to have it.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Don't know who he is so don't really have an opinion, but there's not that many exciting picks at #20 at least not this year.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Eh, he's a boom or bust pick. Would have liked Bean who has loads of skill but once he was gone it really didn't make any difference to me who was drafted. He's going the college route so we probably won't hear much about him until 2020 at the earliest.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
From what little I can find on the kid it sounds like he's really raw. A skinny 18 year old who just had a growth spurt.

Sounds like he has good hockey IQ but is physically underdeveloped so it's hard to know just how good he is. Hopefully the kid can put on 20 lbs and get a whole lot stronger.

I like the sound of this:

He has everything that is very difficult to teach—anticipation, instincts and a long, athletic stride with great edges. On the other hand, everything that he lacks—such as strength and defensive positioning—can be taught.

http://thehockeywriters.com/dennis-cholowski-the-next-ones-nhl-2016-draft-prospect-profile/

That's all taken with a grain of salt though because I've been watching hockey long enough to know most prospects don't develop into much. :laugh:

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
not being an ass but are you a scout, were a scout, know a scout?

i think we know nothing about him by and large, just wondering how or why you know so much about him

I don't usually post on this site (my friend does), but I've scouted Cholowski all year. He was ranked 20th in my draft guide.

I know a few scouts and scout independently, yes.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If we were going to reach on a defenseman, I'd have preferred for it to be Kale Clague or Sam Girard. Still obviously pissed off we did not just draft Fabbro or Chychrun.

Feels like a big reach, always skeptical of late risers in general. Hopefully they are right with this kid, but I don't really trust our ability to evaluate defenseman with our sketchy track record.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
This guy feels like a early 2nd rounder. I can't imagine based on what's been picked since he would have been jumped on had Detroit just moved back again and got another couple picks.

For 20th overall when people say project, long term, raw, etc. for a selection that is based on the team's needs today, it just doesn't seem like the smartest pick.

Reactions: Hatter of the Beach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->